PDA

View Full Version : any advantages with Pigment ink transfere over laser ?

logobear
28-10-2012, 11:43 PM
After 20 years of transfer printing T's I am still keen to learn more.
This question is about best applications for T_SHIRT PRINTING only
I started with laser, and have added sub - for selected white applications.
I understand that outside the UK inkjet prints on transfer papers are more popular, especially (as I understand it) using pigment ink systems.
I wonder how these compare with laser ?
If I am equipped for laser transfer are there any advantages of offering inkjet transfer too ? - I appreciate the argument that laser systems are more expensive to buy, but often cheaper to run, but what about durability, touch/feel, application issues, etc ie the other qualities ?
Any experiences ?
Thanks

GoldRapt
29-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Why not get some Jet Pro Soft Stretch from Yolo and have a test of the inkjet t shirt print.
I don't know what a laser print is like on a T-shirt so I cannot compare.
Whats a laser print on dark like for example?

WorthDoingRight
29-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Like most things not all pigment inks are the same and thats true for laser toner also.

Laser transfers often have issues with needing low temperature washes as the yellow toner in a number of laser printer setups is not very water fast and tends to migrate.

Pigment inks also come in UV and non-UV versions and so some can be prone to fading issues if worn outside in strong light.

I think they both have their own positives and negatives and yolo jet pro soft stretch for inkjets is a good paper for inkjet transfers.

Like Tony said, the only proof you will be happy with is giving it a go yourself and seeing how they compare.

Jimbo
29-10-2012, 10:53 AM
You will get a lot of info here

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/

Earl Smith
01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
As WDR said, inkjet and UV inks suffer from light and do wash out. Thats my expierience anyway. There is a laser paper from Forever that prints beautifully and will print onto darks. It doesnt work like the WOW system , it just print and press. Only slight problem is that it has to be pressed at 200c for 30 secs. This will burn some of the lighter colours. Thats why I use Subli flock.