PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-Looking for equipment advice to start me off..

mikeoooze
01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone, I am looking for advice on printing on mainly one off Tee Cotton Shirts, using ink transfers. I'm looking to spend up to £1,000 on a heat press and printer plus everything else I may need to start me off. Any advice would be most welcome. Regards, Mike. :smile:

WorthDoingRight
02-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Well if the shirts are cotton then you cannot use sublimation to print on the shirts. So that leaves you with a number of options including inkjet transfer, laser transfer, the chromablast ink system, screen printing or DTG (direct to garment) along with perhaps a few more niche methods I have missed. DTG is outside your budget. I doubt screen printing is viable for one off shirt designs so I would think that either the inkjet or laser transfer methods are likely to be favoured. If you are doing low volume then a reasonable size clamshell press should be suitable as your press. So the next question is how big are your designs going to be? If small enough to fit on A4 then great if not then will they fit on A3 paper? I would think that an Epson printer using durabrite inks and inkjet transfer paper is likely the cheapest option for low volume one offs.

mikeoooze
02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks very much for the info. I like the look of the "self weeding" laser transfers. Anyone know any pros and cons about them. Is laser a better option than inkjet? I am seriously thinking about going down the laser route.

mrs maggot
05-11-2012, 09:29 AM
mike its a trip down douth but one that might be worth making, and go visit themagictouch and see their new printer, or call them and ask for a demo near to you

logobear
05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
I think laser transfere is superior to inkjet, BUT you need a better press for laser, you need higher and more even pressure. - and a new adkins is outside your budget (but they do hold their value)
The new white laser printer from TMT is way outside your budget, but the standard Oki is very good for about £300. If you look on eBay for an Adkins beta press (might carry magic touch or Xpress badge) it will be about £500.
I also recommend a trip to The Magic Touch, or - WAIT UNTIL NEXT FEB AND GO TO pRINT & pROMOTIONWEAR SHOW AT THE nec

mikeoooze
05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks very much again everyone. I have been thinking of attending a trade fair, so I may just do that logobear. Thanks!

carter2
27-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Well, if you are a screen printer, this tool is what makes your decorating discipline of choice work. It is one of the most important tools for screen printers, yet it may also be one of the least understood.:rolleyes:

socialgiraffe
27-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Logobear has hit the nail on the head and I would recommend TMT. Oki white is outside your budget, but the standard system isn't

iomgraphix
29-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Hi Logo bear,

Could you confirm the dates for the show at the NEC. I am thinking about making the trip over to visit. I want to get a vinyl printer, to expand as currently doing sublimation and have a vinyl cutter plotter.

Mark

RogerC
29-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Mark if it's something like a Versacamm you're looking for the Sign & Digital UK will take place on 30 April - 2 May 2013 at the NEC, Birmingham. Just Google it and you can register there.It's an excellent show and focuses more on the print equipment than the Promowear show

Bob700
05-12-2012, 05:53 PM
As far as transer papers are concerned I'd check out YOLO's website and if you buy a 2nd hand craft robo you can cut t shirt vinyl, MDP are good suppliers of t shirt vinyl and cotton t's