PDA

View Full Version : Cameo help please

philfoot
04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Hi all

May be asking the impossible but worth a try. Hope its ok to post here, I am not doing vinyl but I know a lot of the guys who do vinyl also use the Cameo, couldnt find another relevant section.

i produce personalised wall clocks. I want to introduce the glass sublimation clock (20cm). I produce the design with Corel Draw X4 then I have a Cameo Silhoutte which I was told by the company I bought it from would do the job, but I find when using the Cameo and Cutwizard software and producing my vector layer to enable me to cut the centre 10mm hole for the clock mechanism to come through, and the overall outer size of 20cm, that the registration marks fall out side of the dimensions of an A4 sheet of paper.

Thought it was the answer to my problems cutting a pefect circle, well 2 if you count the 10mm hole in the middle. Company I purchased it from just said they made a mistake, and ........ well and nothing, thanks Graphtecgb. THe only way seems to be to go for an A3 printer, even though I dont really need the A3 size of paper to acutally print my clock on, it would be merely to print the registration marks on to enable the cutter to do its job.

Has anyone come across this, or is there a nice simple way of doing what I want with the Cameo without the need to invest in a bigger printer and extra pointless A3 paper.

If anyone has any ideas I would be so grateful.

Thanks for reading

Phil

neilb
04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I may be misunderstanding the problem but you don't need registration marks just to cut the circles.

Paul
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I must say i dont understand the question...
What do you need the reg marks for?

Justin
04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Confusing post. Are you printing the design with sublimation? The post seems to read (to me at least) that you're using vinyl? Please clarify :wink:

Craig
04-11-2012, 04:33 PM
by readin the above i belive he is printing out the clock surface and then wants to put it into the silhouette to cut the circles hence needing the regisrartion marks otherwise the cameo will not know where to cut.

In answer to your questions im not too sure ow to cure your issue but will have a look on my cameo when i am back near it.

philfoot
04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi all

I knew I would confuse people, just a gift!

I am not cutting vinyl. Craig is right, I am printing out the clock design containing photo and text on my printer on sublimation paper, then want to cut out the 2 circles only (10mm and 20cm) to give me the outer diamtere of the clock face and the centre hole, not the photo or text outlines. So to do that, or so I have been told is the 'right' way is to put it through the Cutwizard program which when I make a vector layer on Corel Draw X4 the machine 'recognises the 2 circles only from the vector layer and I can put on the registration marks, and hey presto it will cut out my 2 circles containing my clock design.

I hope that is a better or clearer explanation of what I am trying to do. It works great on a smaller clock face allowing enough room for the registration marks, but it needs quite a bit of room around my design before it puts on to the design the registration marks so I can feed it through the Cameo.

Sorry for any confusion folks!

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

Phil

bms
04-11-2012, 07:43 PM
You don't need to cut anything when you're using sublimation inks. Just print your image onto A4 paper. Doesn't even have to be a circle. They lay your clock face over the image, hold in place with heat tape and press (covering the top and bottom with silicon paper to avoid inks gasing onto the base). I think you're trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be.

Paul
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
much clearer now but still dont know why this process involve the cameo to be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFidosqMX5M&feature=g-upl

Justin
04-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Well, after your latest post Phil I came to the conclusion that you're making paper faced clocks using sublimation paper :-(

viccar
05-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Is it because you are trying to print on A4 printer, you would need A3 printer to print the reg lines on a 20cm circle.
The biggest circle on A4 paper with reg marks is 18cm.

philfoot
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi all

I think Martin has hit the nail on the head, I am making it more difficult than I need!!

The confusion stems for the fact that I also produce a lot of clocks on normal photo paper and use them as inserts in wall clocks, so to do this I have to cut them out to fit an exact size in a recess of a wall clock, to do this I use a press and die from Ellison, great. OK what I am going to do with that is make different sized clocks to broaden my range, and hence the Cameo is going to be introdued so I can resize my clock face design in Corel. Viccar seems to agree with me for that job I need to go for a 'normal' A3 printer because of the size limitations involved.

So to the confusion, very new to sublimation which is going to be the second part of my business, and silly me thought I would have to cut our the circles again to produce my clock. Now by looking at Pauls excellent video I see where I am going wrong, doh!! so simple. I reckon I better look at the rest of your videos Paul, they are very good, thanks.

So guys with my ignorance and your brains problem is solved, sorry for the confusion between the 2 elements as described above.

Would like to thank everyone who has replied, it really is much apprecatted.

Kind regards

Phil

viccar
05-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Are you just printing on photo paper then gluing that to the clock face?

philfoot
05-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi

Yes Viccar thats what I do for the current range, it works well using the one size of clock I do and using the press & die is just the thing. Not sure if I am allowed to post a url, not here to advertise don't want to get banned so soon lol, but will suggest if you google photoclockworld you will see my site and see what I do with the clock designs i do at the moment which hopefully will help to clarify. They are all the same diameter, but I now want to add to the size range. The only problem is the die is a set size, and the range of clocks i want to do would mean a big investment in different sizes dies's.

So hence the Cameo, it will mean I can print whatever size I want. Most of the sizes I want will fit on a A4 sheet of photo paper, but like I say the extra room needed for the registration marks means I need to up the size to A3. Not a major problem, but just thought there may be way round it.

It was my desire to add glass sublimation clocks that then caused my confusion. Thought I had to cut them out the same, but of course now I know different.

hope that helps.

Kind regards

Phil

viccar
05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
You would need A3 paper & A3 printer to cut out 20cm circle using cameo with reg marks

philfoot
05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi Viccar

Yes seems to be, many thanks for your involvment much appreciatted. Now then where can I get quality A3 photo printer cheap !! lol

Kind regards

Phil