PDA

View Full Version : A new way ahead?? Or am I missing something??

Traynor26
31-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

was messing about on YouTube today and came across this video? Is this known to everyone? Seems far too easy to me? Looked on thier website and they also do Subli ink for laser printers?

Forgive me if this is old news, have a look for yourself,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMyONpj5 ... tube_gdata (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMyONpj54mI&feature=youtube_gdata)

many thanks

Lee

Kaz
31-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I'd heard about non sublimation onto mugs, but what he doesn't tell you is, you still need sublimation paper.

I could be wrong here, but I think the images fade a lot quicker than sublimated items.

Going to try one later when OH gets home with my HP inkjet and see what happens, in fact, will do one of both, with the same image and take piccys and post them later/tomorrow

Traynor26
31-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Agreed Kaz, from the video he implies that it's a special form of paper that they are working on, I emailed him earlier and he replied within the hour, not bad! Please see below:

Hi Lee,
Yes what you saw is for real. We are testing some mugs right now in the diswasher to make sure they are color safe. The printers that work best using this paper are the HP, Lexmark and Konica Minolta. Other laser printers refuse the paper from releasing from the mug. The image quality is not quite as good as sublimation ink. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I would rate sublimation at 10 and laser at 8.
Once we know if the process holds up well in the dishwasher we will start selling it.
Steve
------Original Message------
To: Now9
Subject: Sublimation
Sent: Mar 31, 2010 7:54 AM

Hi there,

I just found one of your videos on YouTube, very impressed. I have *
recently just started out in sublimation, and the ink continuoulsy *
drying up is doing my head in.

The video I found was using a special paper and a normal laser *
printer? Is this really possible? I could not find it on your website.

So, I am in the UK, would you be able to post?

Many thanks for your time,

Lee

Justin
31-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Ask him for free samples Lee and in return you can do a review to go on here? ;)

accdave
31-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Wasn't somebody on here buying mugs from Asda and using a laser printer for the print ?

Kaz
31-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I bought a couple of plain white mugs from Matalan, and tried sublimating htem and they didn't work.

Will try them with my other printer and sublimation paper and see how I get on with it

bms
31-03-2010, 10:55 PM
You can't sublimate onto a standard mug, e.g. Asda, Matalan as they aren't coated to take sublimation inks. You also can't put sublimation ink through a laser printer as the inks would "gas out" under the heat used to seal in the toner during the laser printing process. You can however use a specially coated paper with a laser printer and print onto mugs. An example of this is the CPM papers by The Magic Touch (around £45 +vat on 100 sheets of A4). This approach sticks the laser toner to the outside of the mug rather than sealing the image inside the glaze of the mug. There is a difference in the quality and sublimation is by far superior. The laser approach is fine but you are sticking the image to the outside of an uncoated mug, so yes you can buy a cheap mug from Asda and put a picture on it. You will feel it on the outside of the mug and the quality won't be as good as sublimation - from printing both ways I'd put sublimation as 10 and, personally, I'd put colour laser at below 5 on ceramics (on a scale of 1 to 10).

PhoenixRisen
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi all - I tried Magic Touch Paper with my Oki laser printer (which has been optimised for transparency prints - number plate printing). It was far too faffy and time consuming for my liking. Out of 8 or 9 mugs, before deciding to give it up as a bad job, I got one mug that was reasonably decorated. I would have been embarrassed to give it away, never mind sell it. :oops:

If you have not seen any instructions, then here is a summary of operation:

There are two sheets, one of which is laser printed on. The two sheets are then laminated in a hot laminator with the image between them.

The sheets are dampened until one of the sheets peels/slides off. The other half of the paper sandwich is dampened and the central image can then be slid onto the mug, squeegeeing the excess air and water from between the image film and the mug. The mug is put into a hot oven to bake the image on - What heat ??? How long for ??? After baking, remove from oven, cool or let cool, then remove outer film from image using sellotape. I cannot remember whether the mug had to then have a second baking.

I had some images blister, and some images were not as fast as one would hope/expect - they washed off with the rough sponge.
:(
By comparison, the dye-sub was child's play. Watching the Magic Touch demonstration video, the lady made it look very easy.

Temperatures and heating times would have been helpful. However, my patience ran out sooner than the mugs. :cry:

The principle looked interesting, but the practice was more aimed at casual craftwork. My experience was definitely negative. A live demonstration would definitely be a must see.

Mal

frizbee
02-04-2010, 01:15 AM
The magic touch stuff is very poor compared to sublimation done right.

BUT If anyone likes it though, I have loads I would be happy to offload :-)

logobear
06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
The magic touch Laser CPM hard surface Transfere is not a 2 part process as described above and I have done 000's of them.
I will agree laser is not as good as sub for mugs, but does have other uses like transferring onto wood, leather, cardboard etc.
It is not super durable but it is easy.
CPM laser mugs take 3 min then another min to bake, but do have the great advantage that you don't have to supervise the press and peel promptly as it is cold peel.
If you have several clamps you can stack em up and just pop another on each time you walk past.
I prefer sub thou!
P

PhoenixRisen
06-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi, This process, however many stages, is tricky:-

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/content/pdf/magic%20decal%20instructions.pdf

;)
Mal