PDA

View Full Version : long sleeves on sweat shirts.

jennywren
08-11-2012, 08:09 AM
We have been asked to do sweat shirts but the also want text put on sleeves, is this possible and how. I'm go to have a practise tonight but I'm looking for tips on how to get around this.

Earl Smith
08-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi Jenny(?). Are you using vinyl? If so then it very easy. Open the arm out so the seam is on the bottom and the printable area at the top. Lay the sleeve from top left corner to bottom right on the press platten. Work out where you want the text and then press. I have done hundreds this way and never had a problem with the seam underneath. If the arm is shorter then lay it accross the platten.

socialgiraffe
08-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Good tip there Earl. I have done a few sleeves for friends and always felt that the pressing was wrong and the item needed to be washed and ironed to bring it back to normal shape.

Earl Smith
08-11-2012, 11:39 AM
I felt the same as well Simon but when ironed back to its "normal" form with the seam at the bottom , then you will press the text in half as well. Looks much better left as is. Never had complains from customers and these are usually bikers or football supporters who are never affraid to complain.

jennywren
08-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Sorry if I did not make myself clear, they want it embroider on, its a hoodie, not a sweat shirt could not think what they was called when I posted this morining

Earl Smith
08-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Can be done. My frame has a stitching area of 28cms by 8cm. Just make sure the arm isnt too narrow or it wont go on the machine. This is not a run of the mill job so it will cost more.

jennywren
08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Can be done. My frame has a stitching area of 28cms by 8cm. Just make sure the arm isnt too narrow or it wont go on the machine. This is not a run of the mill job so it will cost more.
This is the first time that they asked, thank god it only 10 and not the usual amount they asked for, how do you place the frame so the sleeve does not catch, they want where you would normally put a polo shirt, dreading tonight when I find something with long sleeves how to do it

Earl Smith
08-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Sleeve frames are long and thin. Usually made of wood so they are more flexable. The upper part stays on the outside and the other part goes inside the sleeve. The sleeve has to be wide enough for the frame and to accomadate the movement of it while it stitches. If its a small emblem at the top like a polo arm then use a small round frame.
http://www.alliedi.com/images/AWH-320100-BAR-520QS.png

jennywren
08-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Many thanks will have a go and report on how we get on

jennywren
09-11-2012, 01:10 PM
I had a go last night, and it worked many thanks for all your advice Jenny