PDA

View Full Version : Cutter Blades.

arko
13-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi guys. Im just tinkering with cutting some flock I purchased to play around with. Which blades are preferred for flock? Or does it make any difference? Im asking as I would have thought due to the thickness a lower angled blade would be correct (60º)?

socialgiraffe
13-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi Arko

Not 100% sure but if it works on the same basis as my Roland then yes.

For Roland they suggest 45 degrees for vinyl etc and then 60 degree for heavier weight items such as magnetic and flock.

Paul
13-11-2012, 11:59 AM
i had 45 degrees with m cutter and it cutted flock fine. but now i have 60 and it looks like i can cut flock with smaller elements. i dont know if this is down to the knife but both works fine for me.

Earl Smith
13-11-2012, 12:10 PM
60 degs and a slightly greater offset . My Roland is set to .25 for normal and I can ( but never do) change it to .30 for flock. Also flock needs less pressure.

arko
13-11-2012, 12:23 PM
60 degs and a slightly greater offset . My Roland is set to .25 for normal and I can ( but never do) change it to .30 for flock. Also flock needs less pressure.
I only have a dial pressure knob and its all I suppose a bit of touch-and-go with that.

@Paul... I just read somewhere that it is possible to get a finer detail on flock with the 60 blade.

I got to get some new blades now due to the fact that I started to cut something, left max. pre-paperfeed on (this doesnt automatically reset in SignGo) and the next thing I knew I was cutting into my rail! Soo embarrassed. Any suggestions a a blade set?... Roland?.. or will cheaper ones from fleabay suffice?
Thanks for the info so far! :)

Earl Smith
13-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Mrs Maggot posted a site for blades a few months back. Much cheaper than the Roland "origional".
You are cutting the rail because your pressure is too high and /or the blade is sticking too far out. It only needs to stick out by the thickness of the material you wish to cut.

WorthDoingRight
13-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Thread about where to buy blades here: http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?5099-Replacement-Blades-good-deal-from-here&highlight=cutter+blades

arko
13-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Ooops.. I didnt mean that I had cut deep into the rail, more scratched the surface but the blade seemed to not want to play nice after that. I have had my blades set at the material thickness and the cutter head has a variable floating-type holder... as if it adjusts itself to the material... this is where I have problems sometimes with the pressure dial... it goes upto 10... but I find that between 1 1/2- 2 works fine.

arko
13-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for that link WDR.

WorthDoingRight
13-11-2012, 12:40 PM
The main reason for using the 60 degree blades is to accomodate thicker materials and with less blade in the material you do as a side benefit tend to get less drag so a cleaner cut on finer detail. The reason that 45 degree blades are used as standard is because more of the blade is used whilst cutting and hence they last longer than 60 degree blades. With vinyl cutters the proof is in the cutting so always worth trying a test cut to see if your cutter copes fine with a 45 degree blade on the material you want to cut and then if results dictate swap to the 60 degree blade.