PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation Prints

chris_hosk
13-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi, my ink is about 2 weeks away and i am desperate to play with the mug press and have 36 mugs to mess about with (ok maybe i will only use 5-10 to play with) is their a place i can order a few pre prints so i can learn to use the mug press i only want 4-5 to play with
also i am going to be working on the S22 but would love to upgrade to a Ricoh once settled so if anyone is selling a decent printer drop me a PM :)

bms
13-11-2012, 09:17 PM
The results you get with sublimation prints will vary considerably based on (1) ink used, (2) quality of mug coating, (3) quality of mug press and (4) colour profile. If you get some prints from someone on the DSF using supported inks with colour profile then you may be surprised at the difference you get once you start experimenting with your S22.

I hope you manage to get this up and running (for your sake, I really do) but experience and phone calls tells me you may be seeking an upgrade after you've spent your money on a paperweight and we do have many phone calls that start off just as you are doing...:(

Justin
13-11-2012, 09:32 PM
From your post above it looks like you're importing your own inks. We can't discuss or support any third party inks on the forum due to the Sawgrass small printer patent that applies. It's quite possible you'll get perfectly good results with your set-up but you'd immediately need a profile creating to match your printer/inks/paper.

S22 is one of the most basic printers. You're obviously already thinking about the Ricoh, personally I'd have saved my money towards this as you'd be set-up 'officially supported' straight away with invaluable supplier support and also ongoing forum support. For what you will have invested I'd advice you still go the Ricoh route. I doubt you'll find anyone willing to part with a Ricoh, hens teeth springs to mind...they tend to work out of the box and (on the whole) keep working....hence you make your money quicker!

Best of luck whichever route you take but as you'll read time and time again on this forum, buy cheap buy twice :-)

chris_hosk
14-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the replies, i think next month i will buy the Ricoh tbh i wasnt aware what was best and chose purely on a "how to" video using the S22 i didnt even know this forum exsisted and had already ordered the bits before i found you all lol

What would you suggest as a good set up to start me off? worse case i can use the Epson as a backup?

WorthDoingRight
14-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Printerwise the Ricoh SG3110DN bought from a Sawgrass authorised dealer complete with Sawgrass Sublimation cartridges is a solid starting point to build upon.

chris_hosk
14-11-2012, 04:39 PM
thanks are these guys autherised http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ricoh-SG-3110DN-A4-Colour-Gel-Printer-/140843587219?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printers_Printers_ JN&hash=item20caee9693

regarding ink do sawgrass or someone have a website so i can check prices as i want to budget for this.

pisquee
14-11-2012, 05:00 PM
If wanting to use Sawgrass inks, then you are best to buy the inks and printer from a recognised/authorised Sawgrass dealer as a package.

chris_hosk
14-11-2012, 05:01 PM
who sells these? i dont know who the distributor is ? lol

WorthDoingRight
14-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Well a good first place to look is on the BMS website http://www.printerowners.co.uk or the Listawood website http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.com

Full list of dealers available from here http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/

bms
14-11-2012, 10:05 PM
thanks are these guys autherised http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ricoh-SG-3110DN-A4-Colour-Gel-Printer-/140843587219?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printers_Printers_ JN&hash=item20caee9693

regarding ink do sawgrass or someone have a website so i can check prices as i want to budget for this.

Printerland just sell the printer. To get full warranty backup you'll need to buy the printer and inks from an authorised distributor - the printer isn't the expensive part, the inks are and your buy price for the printer and ink will be about 3x the cost advertised on the link.

pisquee
14-11-2012, 10:16 PM
You do pay a lot more for the printer and official inks, but if you don't buy them as a set from a proper dealer, then as soon as you put the sublimation inks in the printer,your Ricoh warranty is void. If you do buy a package from a proper dealer, then Sawgrass take over the warranty of the printer, so you are looked after. This is one of the reasons Sawgrass' sublimation inks cost more.
With Ricoh printers you don't really have a ready alternative for sublimation inks away from Sawgrass, so if you want to go the Ricoh route then you have to buy their inks. It isn't as easy as with your little Epson s22 where you have found you can buy other inks (although I question why you've shipped in, when there are places to buy inks more locally still at a good price and get them next day rather than waiting two weeks to see if your ship actually makes port.)