PDA

View Full Version : lines and/or banding

chongsta
01-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi all,

Epson 1290 printer.

I seem to be getting banding lines in all prints. Ive followed the instructions as to how to set up the print driver but if i use the 'fast' method as instructed, i get lots of lines, if i use the normal method i get less noticeable lines/banding. Nozzle checks are excellent, im not missing any bars at all and also doing test prints.

Its only the Artainium profile that seems to produce lines. If i print the same image as a normal RGB, the lines go away. But of course with normal RGB im not getting the full colour that the proper Art profile gives!

Ive tried converting the file in photoshop to the Art profile and then using the RGB profile at the driver level but that gives crazy results. I know i cant double profile as well. The banding seems inherent to the profile because im not getting lines with any other profiles.

Any ideas guys?

cheers
Dave.

bms
01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Can't imagine why the profile would cause the banding as this is often a physical problem with the printer rather than a software issue. When you have the profile set up in the Printer Driver settings do you have this set to "photo" quality printing rather than "normal" or "text"? The higher the quality setting here the more ink is forced through the printer head to print (which also slows the printer down a bit).

Paul
01-04-2010, 10:19 PM
also what type of paper you have chosen in you printer driver?

chongsta
02-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Hi lads,

Yeah i have the setting on Photo as instructed in the PDF, and i too thought that banding was a print head issue, but if its working with no banding in RGB then it must be something else and the profile is the only thing that has changed. The instructions did say to have the 'fast' print speed enabled, this made the lines even more prominent, so i unchecked that box so that its prints uni-directional, its slower yes but that wouldnt bother me anyway, if the print is good then im happy.

Paul, the paper is xpres, i got some after Andrew showed me the difference between subdye papers and their effects.

With the RGB setting i dont get banding, but a much less colourful print. In the print driver setup from the Photoshop side i can see one heck of a difference in colour change when i flick between RGB and the ART profile, i also have the Relative colour mode enabled and ive done tests with all the different modes like Saturation, perceptual etc and each time i still get banding. Ive done nozzle checks after each print and shes firing 100% every time.

in the epson driver, i dont have the function to change the profile, i can only change it from the Photoshop side, and then i choose my printer (i have a normal desktop scanner,printer, the DX8400), the 1290, the settings are on photo, Enhance Photo is disabled, Normal paper enabled.

I agree it should be a head problem, but it doesnt make sense that it should band when other prints on RGB are fine. ive also done full colour printer tests. i used this very cool site http://www.inkguides.com/page-print-test.asp but all is fine until i use the Art profile.

i shall experiment more but im really going through the xpres paper fast! :cry:

Ive also gone and pressed a few mugs thinking that that lines would kind of meld together, they do to a certain degree but its not 100% and i wont sell a mug with obvious lines in it.

any more suggestions would be good here ;)

cheers
Dave.

bms
02-04-2010, 09:08 AM
in the epson driver, i dont have the function to change the profile, i can only change it from the Photoshop side, and then i choose my printer (i have a normal desktop scanner,printer, the DX8400), the 1290, the settings are on photo, Enhance Photo is disabled, Normal paper enabled.

You should have a pdf giving details of how to configure and save the sublimation settings in the printer preferences section as well. These should set the paper to a type, to photo printing, remove the colour management settings, mirror the image etc and then you save this setting for the future.

Also in PhotoShop the Artainium profile should be set with Perceptual setting.

Are both of these parts set up correctly as per the pdf's, i.e. in PhotoShop AND in the Printer Preferences?

Justin
02-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Out of interest, have you tried printing solid blocks of CMYK colour? I sometimes find even though the nozzle check looks perfect there's still a problem and this shows/clears with a solid print.

Paul
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Paul, the paper is xpres, i got some after Andrew showed me the difference between subdye papers and their effects.

I am asking about your printer driver :) what paper type you have chosen :)

thanx
PAul

chongsta
02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks lads,

You should have a pdf giving details of how to configure and save the sublimation settings in the printer preferences section as well. These should set the paper to a type, to photo printing, remove the colour management settings, mirror the image etc and then you save this setting for the future.

Yup ive done all that mate except ill change it to Perceptual although ive been through them all but ill stick to that one now.

Out of interest, have you tried printing solid blocks of CMYK colour? I sometimes find even though the nozzle check looks perfect there's still a problem and this shows/clears with a solid print.

no i havent actually! thats next to do then (tap on the wrist for Dave for not doing that duh!)

I am asking about your printer driver :) what paper type you have chosen :)

Sorry Paul. I have it set to Normal paper. Again ive tried Matt, photo glossy...still all the same. Ive pretty much tried them all to eliminate and experiment possibilities.

I know from my large format printing that banding is caused by lack of ink not being printed due to the out of gamut colours not being met and/or print head blockages. Here's the kicker, ive just noticed that the first 3 or 4mm into the print is fine, then the banding occurs!

Ok, simples question. do you convert your images to CMYK in photoshop or leave them RGB to print? Im leaving them as RGB because the desktop isnt strictly CMYK as in large format is it?...is it? :roll:

---

Im off to the shop now to try some new experiments. ill let you know and try n take some snaps as well.

Cheers again yall
Dave.

Paul
02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
thick matt paper. always ;)

bms
02-04-2010, 04:01 PM
first 3 or 4mm into the print is fine, then the banding occurs
This might indicate an ink flow problem. When the printer is rested the printhead has ink ready to print and then it has to replenish this as it prints. If there is a problem with the printhead or ink flow then this will show up as you print as the ink can't get to the printhead quick enough or can't get through the printhead.