PDA

View Full Version : Epson 1290 ICC Profile

danzab
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi

Myself and my wife just purchased a load of used sublimation equipment in the hope of running a small business from home.In the set up we were given 2 printers,an epson d88 and an epson 1290,which came with a brand new ciss. Turned out both printers were faulty so we bought another 1290 as we had the ciss and inks. Managed to get this all set up and working after hours of googling because it came without instructions!!. Finally set up,went to do a trial run and the image we transfered came out a completely different colour. Had a search around and it looks like its because I need the right icc profile for the printer, but I cant find it anywhere. Does anybody have a link for it please.

Also we did do another print,which was very basic colours,red blue and yellow,but this turned out fine.The colour that came out yellow was supposed to be gray,does this sound like the icc?

I suppose really we should have found some more information out before we bought the equipment,but it was a bit of an impulse buy

Thanks

Dan

Justin
02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi Dan,

It does sound like you probably need the ICC profile. I have one for the 1290 here. Do you know what inks are installed? Artainium, Rotech...hopefully one of these.

Justin

danzab
02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Justin

Thanks for the reply,im pretty sure its not artainium ink,it came in 2 sealed bags and the bottles were labelled signel premium dye ink if that means anything to you?

Thanks

Dan

danzab
02-04-2010, 11:17 AM
sorry full label is signel inkjet premium quality dye based ink

Justin
02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Signal inkjet sell dye-sub ink on eBay, I wonder if that's the company? They do sell 'proper' inks, Rotech etc. If the inks aren't licenced products, i.e. Artainium, Rotech and so on then the profiles won't be much use. You're welcome to try them but it'll be hit and miss. The only sure way would be to get a custom profile written.

All sublimation inks used in small format printers such as the 1290 are sold under licence by Sawgrass.

danzab
02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your help,I wouldnt mind trying the rotech profile if thats ok.I kind of feel like giving up before we get started.Everything seems to be going wrong!! 2 printers packed up,get that sorted and now this problem,ran out of paper then mugs !!!

Thanks

Dan

Justin
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
It can be a rocky road at the start and we all make mistakes, I still do :-)

I will send over a profile with instructions, what software do you print from?

danzab
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Im usig flexisign 8.1 but you can add third party icc profiles to it

Thanks

Dan

John G
02-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Are you wanting to do dye sublimation as I don't think these are sublimation inks.

Cheers John

danzab
02-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Are you wanting to do dye sublimation as I don't think these are sublimation inks.

Cheers John

Hi

yes,we are doing mug printing etc. I have just been googling and that thought was coming into my mind too,just thinking that it should say something about sublimation on the bottle.I guess its going to be easier to buy a new ink set up.Which is better the artainium or rotech or does it not make much difference. Do you think I would be better off getting a complete new ciss setup?

Thanks for your replies

Dan

John G
02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi Dan,
The ink you are trying to use is definately NOT for sublimation printing - its just standard dye ink for an epson printer. The price is far too cheap for sub ink too!

Not sure about getting a new set up as I don't use CIS or which is the best ink make but i'm sure someone will answer you though.
Cheers John

danzab
02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
OK thanks,that solves my problem anyway,I might bite the bullet and buy a complete new printer and set up. I have seen a ricoh GXe3300N starter package with cartridges for £255 plus vat,which seems a very good price to me,it has sawgrass carts with it

Justin
02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
If you're just starting out the Ricoh could be a great option, no refil carts or CIS to worry about ;)

You really need to be using Artainium or Rotech inks, you'll find most folk use Artainium. This way you'll get full support. Don't be fooled into going with the cheapest price though, think about the company you're buying from, do they have good support? Are they mentioned on this forum?

danzab
02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
This is the package I saw

http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/acatalog/GXe3300N-printer.html

Thanks

Dan

Justin
02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Good reputable company, you shouldn't go far wrong. The cart's on the 3300 are smaller than the 5050/7000 so whilst they're cheaper to buy, won't last as long. If you do go down this route, one thing to bear in mind. The first time you install carts around 30/40% of the ink goes into the lines so you'll immediately show almost 1/2 empty. You'll be putting another set of carts in sooner than you think but the second set will last a lot longer.

Do you have decent paper? Xpres and TruPix are both excellent.

John G
02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi Dan,
I'm using a Ricoh A4 5050n and very happy with it. A few other members have had problems with the Ricohs but mines worked well from the start - touch wood. The 3300n has a smaller ink cart size than the 5050n so the price is cheaper per cart - these systems work out more expensive to run than a CISS but you have no mess or clarting around filling tubes and sucking with syringes. Mines only a 4 colour system, I'm happy with the prints but a lot prefer the epson 6 colour systems - the good thing about the Ricohs is the heads/nozzles don't clog up as much as epsons due to the gel ink which is a bonus.

The price seems good - have you tried Martin at BMS, I think he may do the Ricohs too!
Cheers John

danzab
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all your replies,will have to weigh up the options,obviously the cheaper woud be better for me, but need to consider long term benefits.Bit annoying that I just bought the 1290 from ebay and paid good money for it,but it might work out cheaper to buy a new setup than buying 6 lots of ink

bms
02-04-2010, 03:58 PM
The price seems good - have you tried Martin at BMS, I think he may do the Ricohs too!

Thanks for the recommendation. We have these in stock and I'd be happy to match the price (we're £4 more expensive online) or give free delivery which ever works out better for you. If you're interested then please pm me and I'll forward a free delivery discount code for use with this package. ;)

danzab
02-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. We have these in stock and I'd be happy to match the price (we're £4 more expensive online) or give free delivery which ever works out better for you. If you're interested then please pm me and I'll forward a free delivery discount code for use with this package. ;)

Thanks,I am quite interested in the gx5050 offer you have,it looks like its going to cost me £366 just for the ink for my 1290,might pay a bit more and get a new printer and ink

bms
02-04-2010, 04:05 PM
GX5050 offer will be coming off the site on Tuesday as I believe these have all sold now, sorry :cry: . If we get any more then I'll let the forum know.

danzab
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Thats a shame I was just about to order one!!

John G
02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
In my opinion the 3300 will be better value - the carts are smaller but because they are cheaper to buy its not such a big hit on the pocket when you need to replace them.

If I need to buy 4 carts for my 5050n it sets me back £240.00 + vat :shock:

Kaz
02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
John

RASmart do the set for £224 + VAT ;)

John G
03-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi Kaz, Nice one, shame i've got a full set spare that I bought from BMS :oops: should of waited for the price crash ;) I've book marked the site for next time.

Cheers John

Kaz
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I'll need to get a spare set aswell, but it'll need to wait, just paid the balance on our holiday :shock:

bms
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
If ever we're not competive on prices or there's a supplier offering something cheaper then just pm me and I'll ensure match or beat the price for DSF members. Sawgrass get a bit jumpy if the prices aren't advertised as per their RRP's!