PDA

View Full Version : Mug Ovens

booflegem
19-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi, has anybody used or have a mug oven? Wanting feedback and thoughts of what you think of them and do they work better than mug presess?

Thinking of maybe buying one!

Paul
19-11-2012, 10:14 AM
had one and didn't like it.
+ 4 mugs at once
+ print closer to the nadle
+ cheap to replace if broken

- longer cooking time regardless if one mug or four
- hot as hell when taking them out and cooling longer
- expensive wraps

probably is only me but i found mug press working better for me :)

Earl Smith
19-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Ditto for me, didnt like it. I got 5 in mine at once. You also need a duplicate set of wraps ´cause you need them fo the next set going in.

WorthDoingRight
19-11-2012, 11:31 AM
If you are going to be buying an oven and 4 wraps then you have enough money to buy a mug press instead. I think that if you just wanted to make the odd mug and already had a suitable oven then buying a single or a couple of mug wraps could be a cheaper way to go. Obviously if you could get a big enough oven and loads of mug wraps then it might be quicker than a mug press on larger orders. I only have wraps for odd items such as cat and dog bowls where you do not really have any other choice.

Renniwano
19-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I use an oven.. admittedly takes longer but I do occasionally do cat/dog bowls lol

SciArtImages
19-11-2012, 07:09 PM
In use an oven - I prefer to print as close to the handle as possible, and I print in batches so never have a problem filling the oven. It does take longer, but you can go off and do other things while it does its stuff. One piece of advice - get a good pair of heat resistant gloves!
Neil.

GoldRapt
19-11-2012, 08:18 PM
There was a person on here, a lady I think, who used a JML Oven but didn't use wraps at all, just tape.
Is that truly possible?

Justin
19-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Used small ovens in the past, JML etc. not that keen. Running 2 or 3 separate mug presses a lot easier!

socialgiraffe
19-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I suspect Goldrapt it is possible but then I think you would use a lot of tape.

Personally I do not use ovens as they take too long when you are doing a run of 500. However this thread got me thinking about purchasing one and seeing if printing on the handle would be possible. I think in theory yes and it would be nice if someone with an oven could give it a go.

jennywren
19-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I use one and have a mug press, I found the mug oven good, have used one for over two years, happy with the way it performed, just had to be careful of burnt fingers. I use when I have a order that needs consistently to be the same in colour. Heats my kitchen lovely, I cannot fault it.

socialgiraffe
19-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi Jennywren

Have you ever tried printing on the handle?

jennywren
19-11-2012, 10:15 PM
yes but only my burnt fingerprints came up. lol ( no but that idea I will try) and let you know the results when I do it.

bms
20-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi Jennywren

Have you ever tried printing on the handle?

I'd have thought this would be a possibility with the vacuum heat presses.

socialgiraffe
21-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Hi Martin, you are probably right, but I was thinking that if you could tape down securely a simple image that it might work in an oven.

Come on Jeenwren get testing :smile:

SciArtImages
21-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Right, had the oven on today, and a faulty mug spare so I thought I'd try printing on the handle. (Mugs BMS RN coated, trupix, Ricoh + SublijetR, 17 minutes 200C (in a clamp anyway to keep consistency with rest of run).
So you can, but it is a bit of a faff. I taped it as best I could, but you can see from these (rather poor) pics that good contact is (obviously) essential. Might be feasible for putting a web address on the outside of the handle (if total perfection is not essential), though the print does go right round the handle (though not very well) on the top and bottom horizontal sets of stripes.

So in brief, yes it is possible to print the handle in an oven.

Neil.

Oh, forgot to add the mug I printed on was previously printed, and very little ink came off onto the protective paper I wrapped it in, so in answer to a question a long time ago, it would be possible to pre-print a run and then add names etc (presuming it will print OK second time round - no reason I can see why not) or to add things that were omitted.

socialgiraffe
21-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi SciArt

Thanks for the info and this is really very interesting to me and I can see many uses for it. If for example you limit the print area to get consistently good results I still think it has nice potential as an add on service that could be charged quite high in my opinion.

So nice to be reading a thread that is not about cheap printers or cheap dye sub inks :smile:

SciArtImages
21-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Yes, I think if you were to limit it to the 'flattest' part of the handle then it would be feasible. I tried the top and bottom stripes mainly to see if the coating went right round!

Neil.

GoldRapt
21-11-2012, 06:41 PM
I suspect Goldrapt it is possible but then I think you would use a lot of tape.

Personally I do not use ovens as they take too long when you are doing a run of 500. However this thread got me thinking about purchasing one and seeing if printing on the handle would be possible. I think in theory yes and it would be nice if someone with an oven could give it a go.

My understanding is that there are several tyoe of oven, The JML type that will do 4 at a time, a proper kitchen convection oven that will do ....20??.....at a time, and a microwave type which uses convection on a turntable. Certainly it would be nice to hear from those who own and use these different types for their opinions.

I use one and have a mug press, I found the mug oven good, have used one for over two years, happy with the way it performed, just had to be careful of burnt fingers. I use when I have a order that needs consistently to be the same in colour. Heats my kitchen lovely, I cannot fault it.
Which one is your please Jenny, you're not using you food oven are you?

Right, had the oven on today, and a faulty mug spare so I thought I'd try printing on the handle. (Mugs BMS RN coated, trupix, Ricoh + SublijetR, 17 minutes 200C (in a clamp anyway to keep consistency with rest of run).
So you can, but it is a bit of a faff. I taped it as best I could, but you can see from these (rather poor) pics that good contact is (obviously) essential. Might be feasible for putting a web address on the outside of the handle (if total perfection is not essential), though the print does go right round the handle (though not very well) on the top and bottom horizontal sets of stripes.

Neil.

Oh, forgot to add the mug I printed on was previously printed, and very little ink came off onto the protective paper I wrapped it in, so in answer to a question a long time ago, it would be possible to pre-print a run and then add names etc (presuming it will print OK second time round - no reason I can see why not) or to add things that were omitted.

Thank you for trialling this, it answers the question as to how far the coating covers a mug.
I must agree with Simon though, there is a lot of potential for idea's here and I don't think it's just web addresses .
For example, these are airbrushed pens but think how similar in size they are to mug handles
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/560717_4113561561009_1217051757_n.jpg

bms
21-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Neil.

i guess in theory you could also use the cap press attachment to press onto the curve of the handle.

Andrew
21-11-2012, 07:15 PM
You used to have a cap press accessory as part of the old Domglobal multi mug press. Also a small pad for the base.

jennywren
21-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I brought my mug oven from subli-metals, forgot what they was called before they changed their name. The only thing it go on it is Mug Oven, and that's no help to you, but I also brought the mug press clamps and they were expensive, but they are good and have metal all the way around, the grip on them was fabulous. It was like arm wrestling to get them off. That is what made the oven work so well I think is the clamps.

Renniwano
22-11-2012, 12:37 PM
My oven was from Amazon £40 approx.. Charles Jacobs is the make.. came with the extension ring (so technically could get 8 mugs in at a time) but I only ever do 2 at a time because I only like my BMS wraps and I only (at the moment) have two of those..

WorthDoingRight
22-11-2012, 02:03 PM
I think if you search 'halogen ovens' then you will find a range of round ovens suitable for mugs - I have seen them with the extension ring to take more mugs from around £30 upwards.