PDA

View Full Version : Heatpress for thicker items

Justin
21-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Anyune print the acrylics etc. i.e. 20mm thick items? I can do them on my Adkins with a flat platen I made but thinking about getting a small dedicated press for these, just wondering what folk were using?

ADP
21-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Ive done two in a clam and first time round it wasnt very good but second time round i cranked the pressure up and turned half way through and came out really good but the only problem i did have was when i had a sneak peek to see if image had taken i ripped the paper a bit what caused a bit of a boo boo when finally done and i dropped it as i forgot how hot they are what caused a little chip in the corner but as it was a sample for my self i could live with it, I do think a swing press would be better for this and any other thicker items as the heat would be evenly spread and would get better pressure. Get the smallest block they do and have a play about :)

Justin
21-11-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm already printing them, just wondering which specific presses will do them off the shelf :-) Looked at a couple of cheaper ones but told these are no good for blocks.

bms
21-11-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm already printing them, just wondering which specific presses will do them off the shelf :-) Looked at a couple of cheaper ones but told these are no good for blocks.
The swing presses in the combo offerings or the swing press sold alone will do.

AdamB
21-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Right at the start I got the larger clam press from BMS with the changeable plates (3 sizes).

If ever I have something thick and bulky I just tend to swap the plate over to the medium one as the plate itself is thinner meaning that I don't have to adjust the pressure to much.

I can't remember what it was but I had to press something that needed to be padded out and was really, really thick - adjusting the pressure to the least I could give and changing the plate to the smallest only just worked and that must have been quite a distance between the 2 items.

But, like you say Justin - if you have the space and press thicker items on a regular basis then a dedicated press will save time and effort :)

Paul
21-11-2012, 08:25 AM
You know my tiny baby press??? You can press it in one of them. Good for smaller items too so good to have so no need to heat your hige atkins :-)

Justin
21-11-2012, 10:36 AM
That's part of the thinking Paul, far less power. I thought you mentioned yours did it but when I asked the supplier they told me it deffo wouldn't :confused:

WorthDoingRight
21-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a small swing arm press a lot like Paul's 30 x 38 cm and it will definitely open up enough to take a 20mm block and clamp down.

Paul
21-11-2012, 12:09 PM
i will put bit of wood that measure 20mm and see how easy it can open and close.

will let you know.

WorthDoingRight
21-11-2012, 12:49 PM
i will put bit of wood that measure 20mm and see how easy it can open and close.

will let you know.

I think this will be Paul's next video - how deep an item can you clamp :smile:

Justin
22-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Is this same as your press Paul? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140612997647&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

This is with another seller and he reckons it will close at 20mm.

Paul
22-11-2012, 09:42 PM
exactly same press buddy :) small but useful :)

edit:

Just checked and acrylic lock 7x5x2cm easy fit under this press. you can adjust to ver little pressure and still close very easy :)
hope this helps.