PDA

View Full Version : Teflon v Greaseproof v Baking Paper what's best when working with coasters etc?

MREDD
25-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi All

Not sure if I should have put this in here or in transfers/papers as it's kind of relevant to both. I have just started out in the sublimation world & made my first mug (chuffed to bits) but now I want to do something with my heat press (a basic unit of BMS as part of a package)

I hear talk about Grease Proof paper/teflon paper/baking paper etc and would like to know what is generally considered best to use when making coasters, place mats & mouse mats. Also is it advisable to to use two pieces of the relevant paper e.g top & bottom between the product/transfer & finally can these protective papers be re-used or they single use & throw away.

If someone could clarify these points I would be most grateful.

Regards

Edd

twinsgran
25-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Great question. I want to know that as well. Thanks MrEdd.

Craig
25-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Well I use grease proof paper from sainsburys and I do put a bit top and bottom just to protect the press. I have silicon which i use for things like the photo slates but for coasters and mousemats you mention aboave i just use graseproof. Reagrds how many times you can use the greaseproof I use it till it starts to really crinkle up and until it looks like you should change it. Hope this helps a little

quasar
25-11-2012, 01:33 PM
I use a Teflon sheet above and below. I have been using them wail he and there seems to be no effect on either sheet for all the times I have used them. I can find nothing about the life time of a Teflon sheet.

mrs maggot
25-11-2012, 01:53 PM
i have some very expensive teflon sheets that are now over 5yrs old, i also use some cheap sheets from the supermarket, in the mug press they tend to split and go thin so you will know when the time is right to change them dont worry

viccar
25-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Im a newbie but i use

To protect press from ink I use copy paper on thin white metal (compact mirror) top & bottom

bigger stuff like Mousemats, ect a sheet of wilkinsons baking sheets (silicon not greaseproof) top & bottom

Teflon sheet on top of everything.

My theory is paper/baking sheet stops ink ruining press
Teflon stop anything sticking/burning/marking heat plate