PDA

View Full Version : Tshirt fabric content mix

Kaz
09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
What's the best mix for sublimating?

I notice the xpres tees are 63/37 poly/cotton mix, but on BMS site they say 100% cotton with a polyester outer surface.

I'm totally confused. :?

And the tees I bought already are 100% cotton, so no use for dye-sub, so going to do something else with them, hopefully :lol:

Andrew
09-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Basically, dye sub ink will only stay on the polyester parts. If it is a straight forward 70/30 blend then only 70% will hold the ink after the first wash loosing a small amount of vibrancy. You can get away with this as it is often a close knit so you don't overly notice the colour wash. 100% poly will obviously therefore retain more of the original print finish. Polyester coated will be similar this but all depends on how good the coating is. You can actually get the full print onto cotton if it is for a one off use but will all get washed out.

After saying all of that, I hardly bother with t-shirts so what do I know :D

Kaz
09-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks Andrew :)

I'm just a bit confused as the xpres ones from their site, and the ones on BMS site are the same tees, as far as I can make out, but the mix is different and has confused me.

Oh well, back to the drawing board :roll:

bms
09-04-2010, 06:04 PM
You need polyester for the vibrancy as well as the permanency. A cotton t-shirt will not provide a vibrant print or be permanent.

The difference in the composition of the t's is a down to description. The t's may have the composition you quote, but the polyester is woven into the outer layer of the t-shirt so you get the feel of cotton (quite thick though) with the benefit of polyester for the vibrant image.

Kaz
09-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Martin, I get it now, I think :? :lol: