PDA

View Full Version : The Best Christmas Present

Ian M
20-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Over the last couple of months I have been talking to one of the big car manufacturers with regard to the copyright of images & artwork that I would like to use. They hold all the rights to a British car manufacturer that disappeared just over 3 decades ago but, there is still a lot of the vehicles around & a lot of classic car clubs for those vehicles not only in the UK but, all around the world.

Over the last 2 months I have sent them images of what the various products will look like hoping to get their full approval.

Today I have recieved in writing their full permission to use all the images & artwork & the best bit is they don't want a single penny from me. In fact they have thanked me for keeping the old manufacturers names alive which was so nice of them.

One of the things I discussed with them was some of the poor quality items on Ebay using some of these old images & they said I have their permission to have them removed & they would even back me up to do just that. They said as far as they are concerned I'm the only person who can reproduce the images & artwork with their blessing & they would back me up at all times.

This shows that if you approach a major company in the right way you can get what you want plus help from them too.

This has got to be the best Christmas present I could ever have hoped for. :biggrin:

John G
20-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Brilliant news Ian and well done - a very nice xmas present indeed.

harlequeen
20-12-2012, 08:47 PM
fantastic news for you Ian. Well done, it just shows, it never hurts to ask.

iomgraphix
20-12-2012, 08:53 PM
well done Ian,

Hard work has finally paid off it seems.

Mark

Justin
20-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Fantastic news Ian, well done you! We have a thriving vintage car scene up here with a massive bi-annual car show. We get visitors from great distances and its incredible how many vehicles pop up!

frazzle
20-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Good for you Ian.

mrs maggot
20-12-2012, 10:04 PM
very nice to hear indeed

socialgiraffe
21-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Really good to hear Ian, as someone who prints official merchandise for a lot of pop groups it really angers me when I see ebay sellers with photos of the likes of One Direction which are definitely not licensed as I work with the company that holds the rights for Europe.

The only thing to know now is what car manufacturer is it?

Understand if you have not crossed all the t's and i's and can not say yet, but just curious that's all

ASLCreative
21-12-2012, 10:20 AM
That is really good news Ian - it looks like 2013 will be a great year for you.

The only thing to know now is what car manufacturer is it? - I think it might be the MG badge (rights owned by Tata)

Renniwano
21-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Always goes to show if you don't ask you will never know..

Well done Ian.. and here's to the start of a fantastic 2013 for you :)

Ian M
21-12-2012, 02:50 PM
- I think it might be the MG badge (rights owned by Tata)

lol........It isn't MG Andrew. MG is now owned by Nanjing Automobile Group in China. Tata now own Jaguar, Land-Rover.

By the way the biggest British owned car manufacturer today is Morgan.

FairyD
21-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Congratulations Ian.....how great to hear that your perserverance has paid off....xxx

Zipdorf
21-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Well done Ian. Amazing it was all done in just a couple of months. These things can drag on when big companies are involved. When I worked in the music biz I licensed the rights to old hits. One company agreed after one phone call and another it took more than 40 phone calls, but I got them in the end. As the saying goes "nothing beats persistence".

viccar
21-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Thats great news Ian

Well done

Stitch Up
21-12-2012, 09:01 PM
So when do we discover who the manufacturer was? :)

ASLCreative
21-12-2012, 09:36 PM
MG is now owned by Nanjing Automobile Group in China. Never was good at history

Andrew
22-12-2012, 03:58 PM
How about Wolseley? When did they stop making them? They were a classic British brand so nice to pick up something like that.

RogerC
22-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Congratulations Ian...I was going to try something similar for doing Austin Allegro's and old Lancias but couldn't find any t shirts that would rust out after 6 months....:rolleyes:

Andrew
22-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Triumph as my second guess. Used to love the Stag when I was younger.

Stitch Up
22-12-2012, 04:20 PM

The Stag used to overheat badly and warp the head! Same as my Triumph Dolomite Sprint :)

Andrew
22-12-2012, 05:46 PM
The Stag used to overheat badly and warp the head! Same as my Triumph Dolomite Sprint :)

They looked good when stationary so mechanical issues are just knit picking ;-)

Ian M
22-12-2012, 07:03 PM
How about Wolseley? When did they stop making them? They were a classic British brand so nice to pick up something like that.

It's not Wolseley Andrew but, I do items for a club that has members who own Wolseley's. It's nothing to do with any BMC/British Leyland vehicles. By the way the Wolseley name is now owned by Nanjing Automobile Group too.

Again British Leyland so the answer is no again :wink:

Ian M
22-12-2012, 07:07 PM

John, the Stag had a V8 engine which was 2 Dolomite engines put together. You had to make sure the water in the radiator was topped up at all times. The problem was that the radiator's were not good enough which caused the problems. You can now get replacement radiator's that have more cores in & that cures the problem.

Ian M
22-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Congratulations Ian...I was going to try something similar for doing Austin Allegro's and old Lancias but couldn't find any t shirts that would rust out after 6 months....:rolleyes:

lol........very good Roger :biggrin: In fact I have been doing work for the club for Allegro owners for a few years now. I used to own a Lancia Delta Turbo many years ago & it was superb to drive when it wasn't breaking down or rusting. I always used to say I would set off to go somewhere & the RAC would make sure I got home which they usually did.........lol. I was once invited on a Lancia test session just before an RAC Rally & the mechanics spent as much time on my car fixing the problems as they did on the rally cars. Once they had finished they decided to decorate my car with the Martini stripes & stickers & it looked superb. The team had a motorhome which went most places with the service crew & they even had their own chef. He made the most amazing minestrone soup you have ever tasted in your life. :biggrin:

Charlie_
23-12-2012, 07:44 AM
I'd plump for Routes there an old British Maker. Did my apprentaship on them iin the 60's lol Sunbeam Tiger now there was a fast car............

Stitch Up
23-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Could be Hillman or possibly Jowett

Charlie_
23-12-2012, 08:04 AM

Hillman was made by Routes lol......... Wasnt the Jowett German?

Stitch Up
23-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Not sure! We used to have a Jowett Javelin made in Bradford I think :)

Ian M
23-12-2012, 02:16 PM

Well, Jowett's were made in Bradford & I live in Bradford & my dad was an inspector at Jowett's. :wink:

Ian M
23-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Hillman was made by Routes lol......... Wasnt the Jowett German?

Jowett was British & made in Bradford Charlie.

When I was a power train engineer with Hepworth & Grandage who made pistons for engines we did a survey to compare present day car manufacturers with ones long gone. The only present day company we could match with Jowett was BMW.

By the way it's spelt Rootes.