PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a Stahls Heat Press

Zipdorf
22-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I bought a brand new Stahl Heat Press in June 2012 and I wish I hadn't because I hate problems! Temperature varies A LOT across the platen. As soon as I see an Adkins on Ebay for a fair price I will buy that and sell mine.

Justin
22-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Where did you buy your Stahl press? They are renowned for being one of the best so I would be talking to the supplier about this. I have an older Adkins and whilst the temp is a little inaccurate it doesn't fluctuate at all.

Zipdorf
22-12-2012, 01:08 PM
I purchased it from MDP Supplies but I have spoken direct with Target Transfers (who I didn't know about at the time). I have also had really good help from Badgers of Blackpool to help resolve the issues but I still have problems with it. Maybe I was unlucky with this one but it has put me off. I wanted to exchange it for a more expensive model but they said as I had purchased it via a distributor they couldn't do that. Seems strange to lose a customer who could over a period of years spend many thousands of pounds with you but that is their policy. Most companies only think in the short term about customer service. I hope to be around in five or even ten years and over this period I will be buying (and recommend - or not) - to lots of other people. You know the old saying about a how many people you tell about your bad experiences!

Justin
22-12-2012, 01:11 PM
But if you only bought it in June 2012 it's under warranty? Target are a great company, Heather is a good contact there if you need one.

Zipdorf
22-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Heather is my contact but she is the one who said they couldn't offer to change it. I was going to use them to purchase transfers but once bitten......... I agree she is really helpful but unless they DO something I'm still left with the problem rather than a solution to it.

Justin
22-12-2012, 01:28 PM
You bought the press from MDP though? What have they said? I can understand that Target won't exchange it as you didn't buy it there.

Zipdorf
22-12-2012, 01:44 PM
MDP are only stockists for the MAXX range, which is what I purchased so I cannot exchange it for the top range (which is what i wanted to do. Originally target said I shoukd send it back to MDP until I pointed out I am only one hour away from target and I could drop it off but that didn't seem to lead anywhere. So I'm just putting it down to an expensive mistake and trying to move on. If I sell it on Ebay I will tell the buyer of the problems (I have also considered taking a sledgehammer to it and posting it on Youtube).

Justin
22-12-2012, 01:56 PM
You have a right to get it sorted/replaced with MDP. I'm surprised they don't want to take the opportunity to sell you a more expensive press. get them to fix it/replace it. If you want to sell it on it'll fetch good money as these are excellent presses. When did you bring the problem to their attention?

This needs it's own thread, this isn't the right place, I'll split and move it.

RogerC
22-12-2012, 02:17 PM
If it is as you say with irregular temps then it is obviously faulty therefore not fit for purpose and if nothing else the Sale of Goods act covers your rights to have the item replaced/repaired/rectified.
Extract from MDP site....'The presses come with a lifetime warranty on heating element'........seems to me you need to be chasing MDP for rectification.

As for exchanging it with Target IMO that was going to be a non starter as they did not sell it to you in the first place. In terms of responsibility for rectification your case rests solely with MDP.

Zipdorf
22-12-2012, 04:10 PM
We are dealing with real life and things go wrong. Nothing in life is perfect. In the scale of things (war, poverty, etc) it is no big deal. The guy who taught me about this business swears by Stahl (so do I but in a different way lol) and thousands of them are sold without a problem. I was just unlucky. I can probably sell it and get £500, so I might lose £500 and I am VAT registered so I can reclaim that. I would prefer to buy a new one and Adkins is the name that keeps coming up. I could of easily had a problem with ANY make. Life goes on. I'll put it behind me and hope the next one works fine as I'm sure it will.

As someone new to this forum I can already see it is going to be a great benefit so i will be paying the bargain price o £10 to become a member and see what discounts are available from suppliers.

Thanks to you all for the helpful advice and have a really great Christmas and joyful New Year.

RogerC
22-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Selling a non working/properly functioning press for £500 is somewhat optimistic IO. As it is only 6 months old why not peresvere and get it sorted....it is stil under warranty and MDP have, under consumer law got to get it sorted.

Zipdorf
22-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Maybe I'll lose more than £500. I don't really care. Money is not everything and my main business is publishing so I have a VAT rebate due in January. Rather than stick it in the building society and get virtually no interest (My ISA is maxed) I will splash out and treat myself to a brand new all singing, all dancing top of the range Heat Press. Problem solved.

Justin
22-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Forgive me but I can't understand why you are looking at losing £500 when you could speak to MDP and get this sorted?