PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette Cameo - Vinyl Shifting

Justin
22-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Cut a few basic designs with my new Cameo, come back to it today and can't stop the vinyl shifting. It almost appears that the rollers aren't gripping properly, they seem tight enough but as the job progresses it seems to move slightly.

Anyone any ideas on how to stop this?

viccar
22-12-2012, 03:15 PM
If you dont get it in dead straight with the guide on the left, it can come from under the roller and go wonky, you can move the right roller in a bit ~(even if they dont sit in the holey bit) but it will mark the edge where it goes.
This is why i prefer to use a mat with it unless doing over 24" of course.

Justin
22-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Everything dead straight, rollers in a little...still moving. Can't understand it. It was fine the other day. I think this vinyl is a little thinner but still should work without the mat surely?

viccar
22-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Daft question, but you have put the lever on the right back to up position?
Are you lining it up with the fist short line on the left?
is both sides under the roller fully when you start?
when u got to cut on the top right have you selected vinyl?
Speed 8 thickness 9 blade 1 or 2 and its on blade not pen?

viccar
22-12-2012, 04:37 PM
how long is the vinyl you are cutting?

Dave271069
22-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I had this problem and on closer inspection the rollers were slightly out of the grooves. Wouldn't of noticed if I didn't get really close to it.

Justin
22-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Uhm, thickness was at 18....not sure how that happened!

Justin
22-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Just cut a decent sized design and it's still shifting :-( Maybe I could lower the thickness...does that make a difference?

Dave271069
22-12-2012, 05:49 PM
I was led to believe the thickness is to do with the cut, I was having problems once cutting vinyl silver sparkle I rang MDP who told me to adjust the thickness to cut some foils etc, it worked.

Justin
22-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Cutting Mat keeps becoming ticked which may or may not be my problem, ok, all set to go again....mat off...it's now saying change blade to 2 so I'll give that a go!

viccar
22-12-2012, 05:54 PM
It shouldnt realy shift, i only move the rollers when ive put it in sqwiffy, and its a long piece 6-7 feet.
Or sometimes if its on a mat and its not sticky enough.

is there anything stuck on.under the rollers, are you leaving enough room behind the machine (and its not catching on something behind like a lead)

Have you tried cutting it with the mat?
Does it shift then?

viccar
22-12-2012, 06:03 PM
with mat the rollers should be on the outside groove, without mat the next groove in.

Justin
01-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm assuming the rollers have to be in one of the grooves to avoid the shifting? Maybe this is the issue, if so you're very limited to the size of vinyl you can use which is a downside compared to a regular cutter.

I'll have a go with the mat but can't say I'm happy about having to use one, I thought this would be for paper etc. Bit of a fiddle to use every time you want a quick vinyl cut! :-)

Dave271069
01-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Yes Justin , in the grooves will fix any shifting.

harlequeen
01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm finding the same thing with my new silhouette. It's a bit of a pain having to use the mat for vinyl, but at least I can feed that straight now.

Justin
01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Just got the mat out to give it a try, seems like a poor workaround for a machine with inadequate rollers tbh. I wonder how long this cheapo mats last?

phoenixalpha
01-01-2013, 05:42 PM
I've had no problems with vinyl shifting. The only problem I have had is when the leading edge of the vinyl isnt cut straight, so when you put it in thinking its straight and maybe 30cm-40cm in one of the edges goes off roller because the leading edge isnt straight. So what I do is line it up initially, run the vinyl through to see if its ok using the feed button then bring it back to the start and then cut.

viccar
01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm assuming the rollers have to be in one of the grooves to avoid the shifting?

They are supposed to be in the grooves, but i move mine about sometimes and dont get shifting.
I use 60-70 micron thick vinyl, not sure if thats any different.
But then i do prefer using the mat anyway.
Justin i have had my mat 9mths and apart from loosing its sticky its still good (i restick with crafters companion glue non permanent) and have done hundreds if not thousands of cuts on it

Justin
01-01-2013, 07:07 PM
That's reassuring :-) I'll give it a go with the mat. Don't mind replacing now and then.