PDA

View Full Version : transfer printing and what budget printers are available?

soulclaimed
30-12-2012, 01:39 PM
im looking to start transfer printing as well as sublimation and have been told thats epson s22 can do this, im not a fan of epson s22 as the one i use for sublimation has a terrible paper feed and they consume alot of ink but if its the only printer in my budget i may have to, my question is can the stock epson s22 carts be used for printing transfers or do i need to buy other refillable carts and inks, are there any other printers that are more suitable in my price range.

i have a small budget that includes cost of plotter cutter, budget is approx £300 and im looking at liyu cutter at around £200 unless anyone can give me better idea?

bms
30-12-2012, 04:12 PM
im looking to start transfer printing as well as sublimation and have been told thats epson s22 can do this, im not a fan of epson s22 as the one i use for sublimation has a terrible paper feed and they consume alot of ink but if its the only printer in my budget i may have to, my question is can the stock epson s22 carts be used for printing transfers or do i need to buy other refillable carts and inks, are there any other printers that are more suitable in my price range.

i have a small budget that includes cost of plotter cutter, budget is approx £300 and im looking at liyu cutter at around £200 unless anyone can give me better idea?

If you're looking to go down the route of sublimation printing then I would recommend you save your money for a while rather than go down the S22 route. There are several posts on here of members who have done what you're thinking off only to spend twice to get a system working properly.

If, however you want to print onto printable flex or other medium which is for inkjet printing then this is an okay printer. The printer uses durabright inks which work well with certain mediums or if you're going down the route of iron on transfers then this may be okay as well. The iron on transfers though are at the budget end of garment decoration though.

Justin
30-12-2012, 04:22 PM
If you're looking at printing transfers then a cutter with an optical eye will save you a lot of time. The cheaper ones 'claim' to have one but it's nothing more than a red led. Silhouette Cameo has optical eye.

soulclaimed
30-12-2012, 06:15 PM
sorry in my post i thought it was clear that i already have an s22 for my sublimation which is why i have some misgivings about getting the same for transfers but if it is suitable for transfers then between the cutter and printer this is possibly the only choice I have, the liyu cutters have the laser pointer style "optical eye" and have read they are a decent cutter from some of the posts on the forum and available in 28inch which is good as I have been approached to do banners for a roof thatcher friend of mine and it would also enable me to do banners for local bands which I have a reasonable in with having been in a few myself.

it looks like the Liyu and epson s22 are going to be the route then unless there is a more suitable printer for the transfers within my budget or with a very small stretch in budget, as there are so many cutters and printers available on the market but my budget is quite low any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Justin
30-12-2012, 07:39 PM
If the Liyu cutter is the same as my MH-721 which I think it will be (approx. £200 on eBay?) then the 'optical eye' is not much use at all.

One thing worth bearing in mind is an A4 printer will only print small transfers, by the time you've allowed registration marks and your design fitted within these the A4 transfer becomes a lot smaller. My opinion would be to go for an A4 printer, B1100 etc. Just sold mine that was on here I'm afraid or you could have had that.

soulclaimed
30-12-2012, 08:10 PM
i'd get one but not available on amazon or ebay in uk from the searches ive done

bms
30-12-2012, 08:27 PM
i'd get one but not available on amazon or ebay in uk from the searches ive done
The B1100 has now been discontinued and replaced by the WF-7015

Justin
30-12-2012, 08:31 PM
B1100 is still available but prices have been hiked to reflect the remaining stock I guess.