PDA

View Full Version : New WHITE printers, - and what they might do .....

logobear
07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
I have received some samples from TMT using their new OKi white printer, - I have to say, I am well impressed, but my thinking is so trapped in the past that I feel i might be missing something.
http://www.themagictouch.co.uk/acatalog/A4-TMT-OKI-W711-Digital-Colour-Laser-Printer.html
They sent me a black mug, a black diary, and a black T - each with designs that i would have said were impossible! touch/feel is very nice and soft, and it is a lot cheaper than DTG, and more versatile too i suppose ?
Anyone using it yet, how much more can you charge for a black mug with white design? We don't do books/diaries etc, but the result is awesome, - how to monitize this new field ?
Any users out there ?

John G
07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Are the black mugs dishwasher safe/proof with the white print?

Justin
07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I do like the look of their phone cases/wallets....is this the same process?

neilb
07-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Are the black mugs dishwasher safe/proof with the white print?
I asked the same thing and was told by themagictouch - "Yes the CPM printed mugs are dish washer safe, but not dish washer proof." which left me non the wiser really.

John G
07-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Think that means, yes, the mug will survive the dishwasher, but the print won't. lol

RogerC
07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Nice to be able to print white but....and IMO it's a very big but......£2000+VAT for the printer and £138+VAT for each 'coloured' toner and £260+VAT for white toner inks.....that's one serious investment to cover.

Earl Smith
08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi Logobear,
About 3 months ago I received samples of t-shirts printed with this system. I was not impressed. The prints were hard and felt uncomfortable to wear. Maybe there is a trick to printing them and TMT have learnt how to do it , Id love to get a sample from them.
As for price. 2K is for the A4 printer, the A3 come in at around 6K. Compare that to a DTG at 15K then thats cheap. DTG inks cost 180 pounds a litre so the toner is cheaper.
The big advantage I see is that you dont need to clean the heads and run expensive ink through the system every day like you have to with a DTG.

Andrew
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I stuck my mug in the dishwasher when I got it and the print came out okay. The only problem was that if anything touches the print whilst the mug is warm from the wash then it is easy to scratch off. It will not take long for the print to look a mess if regular dishwasher use is intended. I would also think you would have to be careful on a handwash.

Not overly impressed with the colour reproduction either. I think it is when of them times when you start thinking it is geat because it is a type of print you couldn't do before but 2 years down the road and the new systems become available you will realise how average the current system is. Might still be tempted to buy one none the less as it does open up a broader range of products.

logobear
08-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I have put the black mug through my DW a couple of times now and it still looks ok. We used to use CPM for mugs before we got into sub. they were cheaper to produce, but the finish was not as smooth, and after a year of washing the image did deteriorate.
I am trying to think of all the 'other' uses that white toner can be put to, when application can be at just 110c it means you can apply it to almost anything, leather, plastics, card and glass ? - maybe it can be layered OVER vinyl, it is the prospect of working in an entirely different way that intregues me, - just what are the possibilities?
i accept that a 2k price ticket takes a bit more thought than a £200 one, but on the grand scale of things, .... less than embroidery, print & cut, dtg, - and does open up a whole new field.
maybe I can get some pre printed sheets to play with..... Deffo looking at this at Print & promotion thou, Magic Touch are bound to have a deal, so I want to almost make up my mind before the show.

JMugs
08-01-2013, 10:06 PM
I suspect your mind is made up!
Janners.

jennywren
08-01-2013, 10:52 PM
did you wash the t.shirt, is so what was the results

logobear
07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
We had Paul from TMT visit yesterday with samples from their printer, and we pressed a few there and then. I have to say they look and feel awesome, - and the process was perfect, and easy!
No mask, no allignment issues, printed image on image sheet is CMYwhite - so the white layer is on top, - pressed 120c for 10sec hot peel onto the second sheet, then 60sec press at 120 onto garment - cold peel.
No mess, no bits, no residue, and washed last night looks good. Of coarse, it is with their own image, and it may behave different with my/clients artwork....... apparently the key is supplying transparent files to their special printer driver. I have also had samples from a comparable system using Eazytrans media supplied by ETC supplies (I think) and it was all shiney and had a hard plastic feel that I didn't like at all.
Anyone using any of these products yet? - although it will mean buying a new (and expensive) printer I can see us using this jobs for single colour when it would be too difficult to weed, crazy fancy fonts, regimental crests etc - the sort of job we had to say 'NO' to previous....

PJames
12-04-2013, 09:03 PM
I am looking at purchasing the white oki printer in the next couple of weeks, does anyone know where to buy the black blanks?? mugs, cushions etc??? With the WOW paper black cushions (cotton) is fine, but sourcing good quality, low priced one seems almost impossible??

bms
12-04-2013, 10:08 PM
I am looking at purchasing the white oki printer in the next couple of weeks, does anyone know where to buy the black blanks?? mugs, cushions etc??? With the WOW paper black cushions (cotton) is fine, but sourcing good quality, low priced one seems almost impossible??

Surely these blanks aren't specially coated so you could buy them from anywhere.

tlworkwear
13-04-2013, 01:14 PM
I was given a demo by Paul from Maictouch and he was showing me the new Oki printer and the prints look amazing!

smo
13-04-2013, 04:02 PM
I saw a couple of demos at P&P show recently and the results are very impressive, but am going to wait a while until people get bored and sell them on or the prices are forced down as there are quite a few other manufacturers entering the market in the coming months :)

logobear
13-04-2013, 06:09 PM
The results are outstanding, I am wearing a linedrawing print made direct from a CAD drawing, it features individual bricks with lines that are in some cases less than .15mm wide, apparently this is beyond spec, our screen printer said the results are impossible!
You do have to remember to stretch the garment after press or it can crack.....apparently new improved media is already in beta test!

chongsta
22-05-2013, 12:45 AM
You do have to remember to stretch the garment after press or it can crack.....apparently new improved media is already in beta test!

aha!^^ you have answered my query from another thread then. So you MUST stretch it and then re-press yes?

Also, a friend of mine bought a normal OKI laser printer and together we tried the various papers for it. I wasnt impressed at all with the colour reproductions, especially when we asked the companies how to get the proper vibrant colours to print better...the answer was to "ramp up" the colour saturation! I don't see this a solution at all, it just wastes toner and also how are you supposed to know just what colours will improve?! The only solution is to buy a proper RIP, but they cost lots and what one do you buy?

grrrrr!
Dave

logobear
22-05-2013, 12:54 AM
while I was doing a magicut 7.2 job today, - I got 13 footy strip logos on a single sheet @ £3.75 each - £49 for 20min work and £3 cost another customer came in and wanted a couple of items, did em while they watched, blew them away with the quality. best thing thou is the ease of the process. It is easy to do, but we are still getting our heads round undoing 20+ years of unlearning that we can now design in white on transparent..... bit of a Head F*** !