PDA

View Full Version : Buzzin for some screen printing!!!

Paul
08-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Me again :tongue:
Buzzin for some screen printing. got everything ready now. my 4 color diy carousel, screen, emulsion. squeegees and other bits :cool:

I am watching ever video on youtube now. I like those made DIY best.
I wonder if we have some keen, screen printers/starters on here?
I own 3 dvd's about screen printing from Ryan net. And 2 from tseps. Love them to bits. loads of info there. each video show you something else. Good to learn. Is thee any other video that is worth watching there?? I read that there is book called "screen printing for fun and profit" an one own it? is it worth to get? is not cheap so i want to ask first :)

twinsgran
09-01-2013, 08:58 AM
http://www.t-biznetwork.com/store/products/How-To-Print-T%252dShirts-For-Fun-And-Profit%252d2012-%252d-eBook-Download.html

Here's an ebook that doesn't seem too expensive Paul.

FairyD
09-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Me Paul....once I get my printing side up this is DEFINITELY what I'll be saving up for next....the possibilities are just limitless...I can't wait...I too have been watching every video...the Catspit guy is really good!!

FairyD
09-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Are you just going with water based inks initially or have you bought your curer to set them or are you going to try it with a press?!!? Also, did you buy an exposure unit or are you just going to use strong bulbs?!?!?

Paul
09-01-2013, 10:41 AM
I use my press to cure inks and it work perfectly fine. I use plastisol. Some time next month i will made my own diy flash dryer unit too :-)

i use 500w flood light from homebase. £5. It expose my 16x20 screens in just under 8 minutes :-)

Reference ebook.... $29 is quite alot for an ebook!

FairyD
09-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Paul....you're always fab with info...thank you so much!! I'm just watching the Ryonet video you posted and I'm going to search for the plans you used for your carousel press, what a fantastic job you made of it...are you still using it!??!....(going to make one...DIY job for my retired father!!) Oh dear, I can feel a few purchases coming up......brill!!!!

Paul
09-01-2013, 11:26 AM
No problem. Justtype printing plans in google and first page will come up :-)
Iamnot using it at this.moment as its bloody cold in garage. But i will b making tiny one color press for home use :-)

FairyD
09-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I know what you mean, mine will be going out in the summer house if I can move my drawing board and exercise bike somewhere else!!! ;O) Plans already downloaded and sent to father.....aiming for first production at the end of the month hopefully!!!

Paul
09-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Great. Show us your efforts then. :-)
This is reL fun to doo! I realy enjoyed doin my. I can wait when i start doing my own cur flash dryer. I will try post plans but noto good in drawing lol.

FairyD
09-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Will do....are you going to use the top of a press for the flash dryer!?!?

Paul
09-01-2013, 12:13 PM
noo. doing separate unit like this one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgG2Ue2eFmw&feature=share&list=PL6801414FA 8B6156F
But i am going to do everything myself. coil, cover, stand... everything :)

gavtheoldskater
14-02-2013, 04:41 PM
i have never read it, but i have heard excellent comments about 'how to print tshirts for fun and profit' by scott fressner.

i use 500w flood light from homebase.

have a look into building a lightbox, the difference is amazing. after about 18months of a lamp hung from my attic steps i scored a used 6 x 25w blacklight unit. exposure time is 1m15s from about 15mins or whatever it was (so no worrying that a cat will go to sleep on the screen under the lamp anymore) and far far better screen results. much finer detail. its also easier to line stuff up i find.

ssp
28-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I have spent the past week or so looking at every video and book i can find about screen printing, needless to say i have downloaded the plans to make a single colour station and ... I am going to give it a go.
Perhaps I am crazy, who knows!! As i dont have the ability to print the large stencils i need i will be paying for the screens to be pre prepped for me for now. I will be printing bandanas for my range and I am really looking forward to giving this a go!!

The wife thinks I am crazy and is asking where the hell I am going to put everything as I am already jammed up with equipment, however i will find space thats for sure!.
I have spent the past week working on the designs i will doing and have come up with a shortlist of designs I just need to choose one... or two... or three!

I have messaged JohnG and hes come back to me with some rough pricing and suggestions on what ink to use, many thanks John!

the other option is that i sub the work out, however i still want to "give it a go" and see what happens.

Personally I blame Paul... that 4 station stand really looks nice Paul!

Johnny
28-07-2013, 10:57 AM
I visited the screen printers we use, and my god there's ink everywhere! Plastic sheeting seems to be a prerequisite! :D

ssp
28-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Spending the day reading up on the density of the screen weaves, see which one will be best for the fine line work. I didnt know that there were so many types of screens!

tlworkwear
28-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I own the original book screenprinting for fun and profit and it is fantastic for getting ideas on how to take it to the next level. You're right though, it isnt cheap but when I get into doing DIY screenprinting instead of subbing the work out that book will be my first read :)

Greg
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
I made myself a DIY exposure unit. Works great now. After a little accident involving lots of smoke and melted plastic! Flash dryer is on the list next.

Hoffman Fisher
20-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi Paul,

Regarding your statement "i use 500w flood light from homebase. £5. It expose my 16x20 screens in just under 8 minutes :-)", can you give more information i.e. how far is the light from the screen, are you using a 330 bulb in the flood light etc. I'm looking for a home made exposure lighting device so if you can forward links etc and all and any info you can furnish me with. Cheers HF

Paul
20-12-2014, 06:40 PM
here is everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbcaIf968Qc&spfreload=10

Hoffman Fisher
21-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Grand so, thanks for you reply and link.