PDA

View Full Version : Magnets

lisasaves
15-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi guys,

Just been asked by a customer if I could print him some magnets so he can stick them onto boilers so his clients can contact him in need of servicing etc which I think is a great idea.

I see that BMS sell rolls of magnetic sheets and just wondered if anyone has tried these out? I wondered if I could print first say a sheet the size of the heat plate and then cut them up after, thinking this would make it easier and quicker to produce.

Oh and I guess I'll need to buy a cutter for the magnetic sheets?? Doh sure someone can answer my daft questions!

Cheers

Lisa

Andrew
15-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Makes perfect sense to print multiples onto a roll and cut after. We do this with several sublimation items.

joconnell
15-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I have printed business cards for the exact purpose you quoted. I had bought precut magnets from Transfer Press and they turned out fine.I did them individually which was time consuming but your suggestions is the way to do it.
Regards,
James

lisasaves
16-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Andrew, do I have to buy a specific cutter for the magnetic sheets, or will they go through the guillotine?

Lisa

Andrew
17-04-2010, 11:16 AM
What guillotine do you have? I have one for the aluminium which can do it easily and haven't tried the paper types. We have also cut it with a knife as the magnet material is quite soft. I believe you can also use the plotter/cutter machines for different shapes but not sure what blade is needed. All my magnets are metal which I then cat after so not really that upto date on the soft magnet options.

Andrew
17-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Meant to also say that when we did it we mainly used a cutting mat, large plastic ruler with steel edge and decent knife. This was quite easy to do.

lisasaves
19-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for your info. Put my mind at ease knowing that I don't have to buy another guillotine just yet. I have an Ideal 4205 guillotine which is pretty good machine but I might just cut by hand to start with till I see if the magnets take off.

Out of curiosity what other items are you doing? I'm just starting out and wondered what are good selling items!!

Cheers for your input!!

Lisa

Andrew
19-04-2010, 02:21 PM
It's only the metal we cut up and use it for magnets and keyring inserts mainly. We also have made desk clocks from sheet metal but I never get around to pushing them.