PDA

View Full Version : Cameo plotter not lifting letters properley off the vinyl when weeding help please

MREDD
11-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi All

I have just started working with Vinyl using a Silhouette Cameo, I am not sure if my problem is inexperience or if I am trying to work with letters that are simply to small.

I have had two attempts at making a baby vest with the words "do you think i was born yesterday?"

The blade is on number 1 they suggest not going any higher in forums. The speed was 8 and thickness 9, I have kept the blade on 1 and reduced the speed to 6 and increased the thickness to 18 as suggested by MDP

Each letter is about 2cm high and the thickness of each letter is only about 3mm it cuts it out OK but weeding is a nightmare. Some clips on you tube suggest picking the centres out of some letters like O and B etc prior to removing the vinyl from the carrier sheet. I have tried this but some letters like I K T Y etc just stay on the main vinyl & I find myself putting the weeding tool at an angle to hold parts of the letter down whilst I pull at the rest of the vinyl, surely I don't have to do that all the time do I?

Like I say I don't know if it's just practice I need or advice on the settings or if I need to work with larger letters. Finally any help on pressing times appreciated. These vests are 100% cotton and I have a DF something 18 rings a bell from Martin at BMS

I did the first one at 150 for 15 and I could get my nails under some letters and could see they were not adhered to the vest. The second one I did at 165 for 15 with a bit more pressure and that seems to have worked, but any advice on that also welcomed.

Thanks

Eddie

Justin
11-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Have you got a tick in the use mat box? Have you tried the blade on 2 or 3 to see the difference?

viccar
11-01-2013, 07:52 PM
If your blade is older you may need to go to 2, try using the test cut or just cutting one hard to weed letter.
I use mdp hotflex 160 at 15 seconds, then you need to give a final press for a few seconds after you remove the carrier sheet to seal it.

Dave271069
11-01-2013, 08:07 PM
yes defo once you press your vinyl take off your backing put a slim piece over the vinyl like baking paper or similar and re press for about 5 seconds . I had a few issues with weeding when I first started but I think its down to practise, also what are you weeding with? my favourite tool for weeding is a plain and simple pick (needle type)

MREDD
12-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi All

Thank you for replies, Justin I would like to pick up on your two points about the mat and blade settings. A number of web sites and forum messages suggest that the mat is not required for vinyl with Cameo, off the top of my head I cannot recall if the mat box was checked or not. So on that point assuming I can work without the mat, if I had mat checked would the machine presumably not cut as far in because it thinks I am using a mat, or have I miss-understood your point?

I would hope I can work with the mat, MDP say I can and quite frankly that mat is so sticky I could see it causing more problems than it solves.

Finally a note your second comment about the blade. In the manual for the Cameo it says that the biggest cause of damage to new blades is having it cranked to high, they say number 1 is fine for Vinyl and I should not go higher. I am now confused because you say try 2 or 3 so there seems to be a conflict of opinions over the depth.

Some either Justin so another member can expand on this.

Regards

Eddie

MREDD
12-01-2013, 09:01 AM
" hope I can work with the mat" That should read without the mat

On Dave's question I am weeding (or trying to) with a curved pick from Transfer press

Eddie

Justin
12-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Not had mine long so still working everything out. I'm assuming ticking the mat box does make some sort of difference to the blade height as it won't need to travel as far if using the mat. I became very frustrated trying to cut smaller pieces that my other cutter works with easily. The cameo needs the mat unless the vinyl reached the set roller poisition (can be set in 2 places). I'm really dissapointed to have to use a mat and I agree I can see potential issues but will reserve judgement until I've tried it :-)I found different vinlys did need a 1 or 2 setting to cut properly. Still not convinced these cutters are that good, my cheap 24" chinese cutter was cheaper and side by side appears far better......buy I'll perservere!

viccar
12-01-2013, 12:36 PM
As ive said above try using the test cut, if it does not cut through then crank it up 1 (ive had same blade for 9mths) and done thousands of cuts) i cut vinyl every day on it.

The mat is sticky at first, but if your vinly has shiney back its no problem, if its too sticky place it on your jumper, tshirt and hey presto less sticky.

I can cut with or without the mat with no problems as long as you put the vinyl in straight. (i do actualy preffer mat though)

Justin rollers can be set to 3 places. (and i sometimes use them out the grooves fine)

Justin
12-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I see 3 roller positions but only giving 2 options as the right roller goes into one if the other whilst the left stays still.

If I cut without these in the grooves the vinyl shifts.

viccar
12-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Theres 1 @8.5, 1@12" &1@13" inches

Justin
12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
That's correct but you don't move the left one do you?

viccar
12-01-2013, 07:39 PM
No the left one stays put, you can move the right one to 3 different grooves.

Justin
12-01-2013, 07:43 PM
viccar.....Have you deffo got a Cameo? Mine doesn't have grooves as you've set out.

Dave271069
12-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Cameo does have grooves Justin for the rollers, they are along the bar at different intervals so you can move them for mat vinyl or card etc

viccar
12-01-2013, 08:24 PM
1429There is actualy 4 now i look have posted this photo, cant get my photo to load error 500 something about bubble?

viccar
12-01-2013, 08:28 PM
1430There ive put a pen where the grooves are

Justin
12-01-2013, 08:30 PM
^Dave271069, Yes Dave, I know there are grooves and I have them, I didn't realise there was a third under the roller viccar! Really can't see much point to that one as it's too close to the outer setting. You need another in between the first and second (from left side) to enable cutting of smaller pieces. Machine would be far better if it had fully adjustable rollers as per larger cutters don't you think?

viccar
12-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes fully adjustable roller would be a benefit, maybe in newer versions they might do this for those who dont like the mat.
The one on the far right is for the mat or 13" vinyl
The one that was hidden is for 12" vinyl

Justin
12-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I find myself with lots of small but usable pieces that I guess will just have to go on the mat, still not sure about that, seems a lot of faffing around to me! The Chinese cutter takes tiny pieces with ease.

Hope this is of interest to the OP :-)