PDA

View Full Version : Absolute beginner - lots of questions!

MugMonster
17-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi all, I'm David - just thought I'd say hello before an absolute barrage of questions! I'm completely starting from scratch over here - my aim is to set up a small, local design business (thought we'd start with mugs...) for my my wife to run. She's going to be leaving her 9-5 soon and want something we can run from home.

I guess the one thing we have going for us is that I'm pretty decent with photoshop, etc and have been making a nice little trickle of income from my Cafepress/Zazzle shops for a few years - so on the design front, we're sorted (he says, being over-confident).

But I want something I've got complete control over and as I mentioned before, I'm confident in my ability to churn out good-quality, imaginative designs, but getting from the printer to the mug seems like a minefield of information to get through... so here's a list of things I don't know and would love to find out... so if anyone can help and can excuse my newbie ignorance, it'd be great to hear from you....

1. I want to start at subsistence level, churning out mug designs. How much should I budget for startup kit? I have computers/software.

2. Best place to source mugs? I've made some enquiries to chinese manufacturers - as well as the UK. Where's best?

3. Ceramic? Earthenware? Stoneware? Porcelain? Duraglazed? I'd love to know the difference and which is best for dye-sub.

4. Printers. I've read good things about the new Ricoh's. Best to aim for them or one of those bulk system thingys?

5. Is there a standard for dye-sub paper? What is it? Best brands?

6. Dishwasher safe? I don't want my stuff to be fading after a few runs. What are the cost implications of ensuring this?

7. I've seen 2 basic designs of heat press. One vertical, one horizontal. I've seen prices range from £120 on ebay (new) to £400 on various stockists websites. Best brands? What are the operating lives of these things like?

Just those seven questions for now. Would appreciate any help you can offer and in the meantime I'll be trawling the forum to try and find out as much as I can, so when I read your answers - it won't seem like Greek.

Thanks in advance.

David

Justin
17-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi David and welcome onboard!

I'll copy your thread into the General Dye Sub section so that you can get answers in there.

Cheers for now,
Justin :D
DSF Admin

MugMonster
17-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Hi Justin, and thanks - you know as I was writing all that out, I kinda thought that maybe it'd grown beyond a normal 'newbie' post!

Looking forward to getting stuck in!

Justin
17-04-2010, 11:33 PM
No problem at all ;) Just copied it over and put my comments down to get you started. You'll find many questions already answered here but it takes a while to digest everything so don't be afraid to ask again.

Kaz
18-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi David and welcome :)

Andrew
18-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi David and welcome. You certainly appear to be asking the right questions so you should be up and running soon.

MugMonster
18-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks all - good to be here... think I've found the right place to help me get up and running! 8-)

GoldRapt
18-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi David, welcome.