PDA

View Full Version : Info on ProvoCraft/Cricut YuDu Screen Printer

kevinjplee
22-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Am thinking about testing the water in Screen Printing but before splashing out on a carousel I came across the above machine.
Anybody have any info on it, and also who is the UIK stockist as I can't find anyone anywhere.
Cheers

socialgiraffe
23-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Never heard of it before but looking at it and my knowledge from previously owning a large screen printing firm would say steer well clear.

For a start the whole thing looks a bit mickey mouse, secondly I can not see how you would be able to print garments, from the videos I looked at the bottom platen does not move and you need to be able to slide a platen in to the garment and not have the whole garment sit on top.

I also have a feeling that with this system you may well be tied into their chemicals which is a big no no.

FairyD
23-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Kevin....Provocraft, who do make this, are enormous in the crafting industry for their products and notorious for making items that have no cross-over with other products, so as Socialgiraffe says, you're tied to their chemicals. They also work to the 'keep it simple' mantra and make it break within a year or two so that the customer will come back for more!!! Crafting ladies worldwide will swear by their products but I assume you don't want to be considered in the same vein!?!?!?

kevinjplee
23-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Thank you socialgiraffe & fairyD, for your replies, your points are noted.
I did have doubts about the Yudo, due to it being conspicuous by its absence on UK sites
Could you recommend a basic 2 colour kit which I can add to as I am going along, and one that is not too expensive if it goes pear shape.
My problem is that I live in Highlands and if I have to sell it I would not be able to do so from up here, an experience I have encountered with cars and other items.

Cheers

FairyD
23-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Hi Kevin..I'll jump out of this one as I'm currently saving up again for my carousel...but I feel your pain about being remote in the Highlands....we lived in Elgin for 2 years and while it was wonderful when my kids were young nobody came to visit us unless the weather was good because of the drive up from Glasgow!!!! ;O)

John G
23-01-2013, 04:59 PM
How are you going to make/expose your screens (exposure unit needed)
How are you going to wash your screens (wash out booth needed + water inlet/outlet and power hose)
How are you going to dry your prints (tunnel dryer or flash needed)
Where are you going to store your inks and thinners (cabinet needed)

You'll need more than a table top 2 colour carousel as shown above.

All the above need space to house them - Paul may be the best person to ask as he has a DIY set up in the garage and he'll be able to tell you the space needed. The equipment I have certainly wouldn't fit in a standard garage without some modification to the equipment and a major rethink on the way the equipment is used.

FairyD
23-01-2013, 05:04 PM
John, the YUDU has it's own 'on-board' exposure 'bulb'!! It's a film instead of an emulsion. It recommends it's only inks...not too sure what they are.....!! NOT a great unit.

I'm currently looking into getting the electricty to our summer house that has lay unused for 2 years...was meant to be my studio for drawing in but in Scotland we don't actually get summers!!! But with a bit of 'heat' it will make a world of a difference!! Size is very much an 'issue' for screen printing, but I have seen a 4 colour unit that sits on top of the screen storage unit (all from Ryonet) just the one station mind you, but if space was limited it could work....the rest of the 'gear' though is a different issue altogether!!

Paul
23-01-2013, 06:02 PM
yudo is good for one off tees for partys and friends etc.. I would not invest time and money in it tbh... I do have small set up that i have make myself and as John just said, you will need lot more stuff then table top [press and lot more room. i have all garage for myself but this is not great space. so if you planing to do more then one color you will need lot more stuff and room.

John G
23-01-2013, 06:07 PM
John, the YUDU has it's own 'on-board' exposure 'bulb'!! It's a film instead of an emulsion. It recommends it's only inks...not too sure what they are.....!! NOT a great unit.
Sound very similar to an xpres system I used years ago - that was utter crap! :biggrin: and cost £3000 at the time. It'll be water based plastisol for a film like that.

kevinjplee
23-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.
Have decided that the Yudu will notdu for me!
Another option for me, albeit a lot more expensive is the Dalesway Printa 770 (http://www.dalesway.co.uk/770standard.htm) which is for sale locally. It is a couple of years old and guy wants £2500 for it (New it is £5300) This is a self contained unit and has exposure table, 4 colour one station carousel, flash dryer and storage etc etc.
Would I be better off with something like this, or buying units individually

socialgiraffe
23-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Advantage of this sort of system is the smaller footprint. One big disadvantage is that you are paying a premium for the small footprint, and if something were to break you basically have a piece of kit that you have to keep although some of it will not work.

The best carousels are made by Adelco and Someone else who I can not remember right now! However Back in the day I owned a machine made by http://www.customcarousels.co.uk/ which although not up to the standard of the Adelco was ok and in my opinion be perfect for the novice. They do a package that is follows: 6 Colour Carousel + Tunnel Dryer + Flash Dryer + Training £1995, all you would need then is the screen exposure kit which I am fairly confident you could pick up for less than £500.00 secondhand depending on the sort of kit you wish to purchase.

Its also worth looking at Wickedprintingstuff.com although having seen one of their carousels I would not recommend them for that part of the set up as the registration was constantly a problem for the user.

kevinjplee
23-01-2013, 07:25 PM
That is a great website socialgiraffe, very concise and informative, shall call them tomorrow.
I take on board point about units breaking on an "all in one"
There is a WickedPrinting (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271135618749?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649) piece of kit on e-bay, but the problem is that he is 700+ miles away!

socialgiraffe
23-01-2013, 08:38 PM
At £999 I think it is a tad overpriced having seen this particular model in action.

Out of interest why do you want to get into screen printing?

Only reason I ask is because if you have £2500 saved already it might be worth you saving more and going for a DTG

kevinjplee
24-01-2013, 03:15 PM
At present I am using sublimation and vinyl cutting but I would like to have a go at screen printing, as these seem a bit restrictive in what I can do. Also not too impressed with results from sublimation.
Had not heard of DTG before reading your post, but initial Google searches suggest that it is a bit out of my price range

socialgiraffe
24-01-2013, 06:13 PM
When you say restrictive can you clarify, what do you actually want to print (i.e. garments or something else) and colours etc?

As an example. there is the new white laser toner system that might be a better option. This is available from The Magic Touch

I don't want to sound negative but screen printing is a steep learning curve and is also really for mass market items and I am just making sure you have thought of all the options out there.

kevinjplee
24-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi, I want to be able to print on garments up to A3 using half tones, and also be able to print up to 4 colours.
My sublimation printer is A4 and I have a 24" cutter.
I found a DTG printer (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DTG-KIOSK-Direct-To-Garment-Printer-WITH-MAJOR-UPGRADES-Fast-T-Jet-Anajet-/200883371183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec594fcaf) on E-bay but price is way out of my league.
had a quick look at the OKI C711WT printer and this is a more affordable option but bit worried about the longevity of images printed on t-shirts.
Do you have any experience with this, or similar, machine?
Cheers

socialgiraffe
24-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Ok

Well I would steer clear of screen printing. I have talked to very experienced screen printers and even they have no idea about halftone and CMYK screen print, which if you wanted to print on a dark garment would actually be five colours.

I have not had much experience with the white laser printer and garment decoration. However if you contact the Magic Touch they will be more than happy to send you some samples to test.

If longevity is the problem then you may want to consider different vinyls or protective films (i.e. Siser Smart-Pro). How long are your garments lasting? Most vinyl pressed garments should last a lifetime if the garment is looked after and washing instructions are adhered to.

DTG may be out of your price range now, but reading between the lines I personally would recommend you perfecting your skills with what you have and saving more money to purchase a DTG as I think that is simply the best option if all you are looking at is garment decoration.

Paul
24-01-2013, 08:54 PM
if ou not impressed with what you can achieve with sublimation then i dont hink you will be happy with screen printing.

socialgiraffe
25-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi Paul

Reading between the lines I suspect it is not the quality of sublimation that bothers Kevin but probably its restrictions. For example unable to print dark garments or limited availability of garments, and their price!

kevinjplee
25-01-2013, 04:51 PM
You are quite correct socialgiraffe.

Paul
25-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Also not too impressed with results from sublimation.

Hi Paul

Reading between the lines I suspect it is not the quality of sublimation that bothers Kevin but probably its restrictions. For example unable to print dark garments or limited availability of garments, and their price!

yes this is only limits. light garments and price. but screen printing is not compromise for sublimation. and definitely not 4 color carousel iam afraid. :frown: