PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of swapping my Cameo ?

Dave271069
23-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Help, im starting to loose my rag with my cameo silhouette cutter, lately ive been getting the odd order for larger vinyl cuts for vehicles , when I bought the cameo it did me ok, but im now having the slipping and sliding problems when I use it for long lengths of vinyl, What I would like to know is will a Chinese cutter off ebay for around the same price tag be better for me due to the vinyl rollers on the stand etc, and does anyone want to consider swapping one for a nearly new desktop silhouette cameo, and final question if I sold my cameo what do you guys recommend I get?

Justin
23-01-2013, 10:27 PM
I can see this from a couple of angles. I've used really good quality cutters before, I currently own a Chinese cutter and I recently bought the Cameo. I'm really not that impressed by the Cameo at all. I switched back to my Chinese cutter that incidentally I was looking at selling.

My cutter is a typical Chinese model that you'd pick up on eBay and tbh it does a very good job. Sure, the build quality isn't there but it cuts just fine and is quick enough.

My problem with the Cameo is with smaller pieces slipping, similar problem but different size pieces to you :-)

I bought the Chinese cutter thinking, oh well, if it's no good I've wasted a couple of hundred quid tops. It paid for itself very quickly.

Paul
23-01-2013, 10:33 PM
never had descent quality, expensive cutter before. only craft robo :) But i do own 24" chinese cutter and i like it. i believe me and Justin have similar machine. does the job and cost not to much :)

Dave271069
23-01-2013, 10:43 PM
any want to buy a cameo? lol been looking at signzworld and I think as soon as I sell the cameo its Chinese for me, only problem I got is the bit inbetween when I don't have a cutter and I need to get some work done. as for small pieces Justin I do like using the mat, but its the long bits and the rollers not keeping the vinyl straight that's doing my head in

Paul
23-01-2013, 10:53 PM
who said that you can not use mat on big cutter? :)

Justin
23-01-2013, 11:01 PM
No need to use mat on Chinese cutter:-)

My cameo supplier have told me the mat doesn't need to be used with garment vinyl and the sticky surface never touches the rollers!? No good for small pieces, and Chinese deals with these well.

viccar
24-01-2013, 01:06 AM
I use my cameo everyday and love it i do small bits around 2" up to about 5 feet, the trick is to put it in straight and put the rollers in the right place.
I dont have these problems.
Justin you had the rollers on 13" so if you were trying to cut 12" thats why it was slipping.

I cut clothing vinyl
sign vinyl
and rhinestone stencil material
all with no probs

Justin
24-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Now why would I try and cut a 12" piece with the rollers set wider? ;-). How can you cut a 2" piece when the rollers don't go that close?

viccar
24-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I thought you were cutting a 12" piece, at first you didnt realise there was another groove to put the rollers in so they were on 13" or mat size.
2" cut on the mat.

Justin
24-01-2013, 01:22 PM
No, I was trying to cut different sized pieces smaller than the set guides. My supplier has told me the sticky mat shouldn't touch the rollers, how do you get around that with a 2" piece?

viccar
24-01-2013, 01:23 PM
??? I stick the 2" piece on the mat, the roller stay at the edge of mat at 13"
The sticky on the mat holds the piece in place (no rollers on the actual vinyl)

Justin
24-01-2013, 01:29 PM
OK!!! So the edges of the mat aren't sticky. You're only supposed to need the mat for substrates without a backing, I.e. Paper etc. But obviously smaller pieces do need the mat. Would have been far better to have sliding guides that lock in at any interbvel don't you think? As per my cheapo chinese cutter! Lol

viccar
24-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Yes i do agree that the improvement of fully lockable sliding roller would be better. do your roller go as small as 2"?

RogerC
24-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Dave I've got a Chinese cutter here I bought from a shop that was closing down. They had it for a back up and never used it.....and funny old thing as soon as I bought it I was offered a Versacamm so I've never use it either. It sits unused so I have no idea regarding set up but if you're interested in a drive over to Chippenham area (Wiltshire) you can have a look. It is on a stand and has a cover.

Dave271069
24-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi Roger can you pm me a number to chat

maskedhero
25-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi Dave,

Are you still looking to sell your cameo?

Cheers,
Nath