PDA

View Full Version : Creating Mug template. Can I Use??

SilentAlf
28-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice.

I want to create my own mug template to use on mugs and sell them. The question may sound silly but can i use love heart pictures like the simple outline

of a love heart filled with red? can i search up loves heart pics, ie on google and take them from there? and could i also do this with easter eggs?

I am a novice when it comes to copyright and want to know all things i can and can't do.

Many thanks,

Paul
28-01-2013, 05:31 PM
copyright is ver simple if you think about it....
My Mum always said to me, "If it's not yours, DONT touch it!" :) seems to work lol

you can find plenty free work that are RF and can be used in commercial ways. but need to make sure that you read licence first.

SilentAlf
28-01-2013, 05:45 PM
lol that does make sense. I could see on your template site that you have a halloween template. Did you draw the witch and bat by yourself? sorry for all the questions i would just like to make my own template without it being done wrong!

SilentAlf
28-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Also what does RF mean? and could you point me in the right direction for these free work pics i can use? sorry again for these questions :)

Paul
28-01-2013, 06:10 PM
all templates elements was created by graphic designer.
and if you go to google you can search for graphic there. if you go to advanced search you can search for RF (royalty free) graphics. but as i said. when google through all those free graphics is good to read they licence again before use.

SilentAlf
28-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Hi Paul,

Sorry to be a pain but where would i find there licence to read?

Paul
28-01-2013, 08:11 PM
usually on the website where picture is placed i think...

John G
28-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Just draw a heart, fill it with red, and bobs ya uncle.

GoonerGary
29-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi All,

can i search up loves heart pics, ie on google and take them from there? and could i also do this with easter eggs?

I am a novice when it comes to copyright and want to know all things i can and can't do.

Many thanks,

Yes many people have created a living from taking images from goggle but 90% of the time it is illegal. You need to have permission from the copyright owner before using their image especially for commercial use. Even the free images may have restrictions on commercial use assuming that the image itself was not stolen from another site to begin with!

Graphic software will have some built in heart shapes to draw with, it's better to create your own original designs.

If you are taking about the love hearts sweets, you'll need a licence from the trademark owner.

pisquee
31-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Remember that designers make their money from selling their work, and that Google pull their image search results from all over the internet, so just because they are there doesn't mean they are free for you to use for any purpose whatsoever. For commercial use, if there is no information as to whether you are allowed to use an image you find, then you need to get in touch with the creator/owner of the work (or the website) to find out if it is OK to use, if you can't find info on the owner/creator of the work then leave it and move on, otherwise you are essentially stealing someone else work. My wife is an artist/designer, and if we find anyone using her work then a legal letter is swiftly sent out. We make our living from selling her designs (and printing them) so get touchy if we even see a design that is slightly similar.

Paul
31-01-2013, 12:21 AM
in google you can set your search for free to use images. also for commercial use. this is not just randome image that google find on the net. google search meta data in image that is set by author.

FairyD
31-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Just remember though that 'free to use' can also be an over-used phrase for "it's not mine, but nobody's caught me yet!!!!" As an artist I don't have time to sit on the internet searching for each an every use of my artwork...but I'm fortunate that there are a lot of honest crafters out there who like to 'report' people for misuse of my graphics and 'apps' for searching for use of my trademarked characters. Just like Pisquee and his wife we have to use the law and the safeguards it grants us....so unless you want a big lawyer's bill then don't use anything that you can't trace back to it's original owner...and then start a conversation with that artist about their licensing policy. We all want to make money but why should you the manufacturer of the item make money when the creator of the artwork you want to 'snag' doesn't!?!?! Not really fair!!!!

You can of course employ an artist/graphic designer to design stuff for you.....but PLEASE don't expect to get a graphic for 50p if you want exclusive usage of it AND a commercial license!!!!!?!?!?! Some artists can charge £100-200 per piece....but if it's a big seller then that's nothing in the long run.....and if it's taken the artist 2-3 days to paint something for you then they need to be compensated for their time...just like you would. Sadly a lot of people don't see the financial merits of being artistic....they see it as a 'hobby' so why should you make even minimum wage for your work!?!? Like everything in life, you get what you pay for...x

Martinx
31-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Just remember though that 'free to use' can also be an over-used phrase for "it's not mine, but nobody's caught me yet!!!!" As an artist I don't have time to sit on the internet searching for each an every use of my artwork...but I'm fortunate that there are a lot of honest crafters out there who like to 'report' people for misuse of my graphics and 'apps' for searching for use of my trademarked characters. Just like Pisquee and his wife we have to use the law and the safeguards it grants us....so unless you want a big lawyer's bill then don't use anything that you can't trace back to it's original owner...and then start a conversation with that artist about their licensing policy. We all want to make money but why should you the manufacturer of the item make money when the creator of the artwork you want to 'snag' doesn't!?!?! Not really fair!!!!

You can of course employ an artist/graphic designer to design stuff for you.....but PLEASE don't expect to get a graphic for 50p if you want exclusive usage of it AND a commercial license!!!!!?!?!?! Some artists can charge £100-200 per piece....but if it's a big seller then that's nothing in the long run.....and if it's taken the artist 2-3 days to paint something for you then they need to be compensated for their time...just like you would. Sadly a lot of people don't see the financial merits of being artistic....they see it as a 'hobby' so why should you make even minimum wage for your work!?!? Like everything in life, you get what you pay for...x

I couldn't agree more! You would think that using a designer would be expensive at the start but if you have a piece of artwork that is being reproduced many times ie, mugs and t'shirts then the initial outlay will be more than worth it.