PDA

View Full Version : Tips for workshop layout please.

Flash
21-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi guy's,
I've been away for a while and a lot has happened!
We were finding since before Christmas that our shop sales were shrinking but our online sales were increasing. In the New Year we were having trouble justifying our shop rent, business rates & other essential bills so a few weeks ago decided to close the shop and take our business home!
Our home now looks like our business :shock:
I have decided enough is enough and I am going to have a 'Log Cabin' constructed up the top of my garden, this will be the new office & workshop 8-)
I will have a 'blank canvas' to layout & was wondering if you guys could help me with your joint wealth of knowlege in getting it right!
This could be fun............

Phil

Kaz
21-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Make sure you get planning permission for your log cabin first of all ;)

I have all my equipment on tables (apart from my cutter cause it's got it's own stand) that are positioned round the room, in a U shape, all within easy reach :D

bms
21-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Sounds fantastic - make sure the heating's sorted for the Winter.

Don't think you need planning permission as it's not considered a permanent building - be on friendly terms with the neighbours so you don't get caught for business rates though!

Flash
21-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Make sure you get planning permission for your log cabin first of all ;)

Checked that one Kaz ;) You do not need planning permission on a 'shed' in the garden which is less than 4 metres in height.

I like your tables idea, I was going to fit worktops all the way round and have a central table.

Sounds fantastic - make sure the heating's sorted for the Winter.

Don't think you need planning permission as it's not considered a permanent building - be on friendly terms with the neighbours so you don't get caught for business rates though!
Cheers Martin, heating and insulation is on the list!
As for business rates, I will put some gardening tools in the corner! This then makes the 'shed' shared useage and NOT solely used for Business purposes ;) Sorted!

Phil

Glen
22-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Agree with Martin..heating is a must..also if you are running power from the house make sure its outdoor cables..the heavy duty ones.

Kaz
22-04-2010, 09:49 AM
The room I use isn't big enough to have a central table in aswell, or I would have one :(

I got my tables from Ikea, think they were £15 each. Thought about the worktops round the wall, but the weight of the printer and heat presses put me off that idea.

Andrew
22-04-2010, 10:20 AM
We have our place kitted out with various different shelving and units etc but the important parts being the work surfaces are oversized Kitchen worktops. We have lengths of these opposite each other, one side has the different presses whilst the other side is preperation for things like cutting and taping. This side is lower down so you can sit and work whilst the press side is up on cheap kitchen cupboards so a decent standing height. Works well for us anyway.

TransferGraeme
22-04-2010, 11:06 AM
From experience - make sure you have far more power points available around the room than you think you'll ever need - in a few months you'll find every socket has a plug in it.

Flash
23-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Great tips people! Thanks for all your suggestions. I've got quite a bit to do before putting the new 'shed' up, one of the main things is to lay the new base :roll: I will be busy for the next couple of weeks!
I have recently purchased a new camera so I may upload a few piccies of progress over the comming weeks ;)
Thanks again for all of the suggestions, all taken on board.

Phil

mrs maggot
27-04-2010, 01:37 PM
i have worktops round the room, with holes at the back to feed the cables through, my sockets are underneath to give me as much empty worktop, and less things for stuff to snag on. i used breakfast bar legs for extra worktop support. i have 2 very large sets of high quality plastic shelf units from costco, they are bracketed to the wall for security, but they go full ceiling height and at the top i store my not used that much stuff. t's are kept in sizes in boxes on the shelves, and i use a IIIIII counting system on the front, crossing them off each time i take one out - its on a printed lable - so when i re-stock the box i just stick a new sticker with all the IIIII on - and start again.

digital radio
phone
and easy access to the kitchen for a cuppa

you will need to check with your local authority if you are receiving home deliveries as part of your work, and also inform your mortgage company as you are obliged to do.

Flash
27-04-2010, 05:08 PM
and easy access to the kitchen for a cuppa

Tea making facilities will also be 'in house', not that I have a large garden, i'm lazy! :lol:

Phil

Kaz
27-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I stay in a 3 storey house and my workroom is at the top of the house and the kitchens at the bottom :(

I need to try and make space for a smallish fridge to save me going up and down the stairs all the time :lol:

bms
28-04-2010, 07:54 AM
I stay in a 3 storey house and my workroom is at the top of the house and the kitchens at the bottom
Just think of the gym membership you save each month :)

Kaz
28-04-2010, 09:42 AM
If only, Martin, I tend to go up and not come back down unless I really really need to :lol:

Flash
19-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Quick Update
Well the 'shed' is up! I have insulated and lined the walls and ceiling which should keep it cooler in the summer & warmer in winter!
Electrics are being installed tomorrow and hopefully I will get time to put all of the worktops in too.
I'm looking at moving all of our equipment in over the weekend & then it is all systems gooooooo!
Ebay & our website have been neglected over the last few months so it is time I gave this some effort.
Also looking forward to printing our first range of mugs & mousemats as we have all the gear but have been waiting to move into our 'new home' before production commences!
I will try and keep this thread updated ;)

Phil