PDA

View Full Version : how do i trace only outside edge in inkscape??

soulclaimed
09-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi I was wondering if there is a way that I can create a path for only the outside edge of an image for cutting other than using the tools to draw around it manually, the trace bitmap feature turns inner lines into paths but all i want is an outline around the whole image, there must be a way as surely this is something that alot of people would need...

arko
09-02-2013, 12:08 PM
I think if you copy the whole image.. ((duplicate)...then group it all together, then fill the whole image with a solid colour, you can then use the trace function for the outline.
Or, use trace bitmap function, edit with 2 colours and invert image... should turn black and white. You then have an outline to work with. Hope thats correct.

Paul
09-02-2013, 12:16 PM
http://youtu.be/yZ7PbPcfxus

soulclaimed
09-02-2013, 12:25 PM
as the image is made of black lines its still selects inner lines and to fill the image means i have to use the bucket tool and manually fill all areas which takes as long as drawing around image manually or am i doing something wrong, thanks for your help

arko
09-02-2013, 12:28 PM
That seems like a lot of work but the results look great! Another great tut Paul. Thanks!

soulclaimed
09-02-2013, 12:37 PM
i have a bamboo tablet i can use to draw around the image which would be quicker for me than the tutorial paul gave but thanks tho there are some things in there that i could use in future, my main reason for querying this is to cut down the time it takes to set something up for cutting i was hoping there would be a way that if the image had a white background I could trace only the outer edge in one or a handful of steps rather than whats shown in the tutorial as image with me detailed edges would take a long time

arko
09-02-2013, 12:42 PM
paint.net can remove a coloured background if you have a solid single-coloured outline on the image. Use "magic wand" and click it on the background you want removing.

soulclaimed
15-02-2013, 12:23 AM
im aware you can do it in photoshop but im talking about when creating the lines for the cutter to follow e.g trace bitmap function in signcut

FairyD
15-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Can you not take it into your cutter/plotter software and 'offset' it?!!? Trying importing your image and while it's selected right click on it and see if you can offset it....this will create a shape just slightly larger than the original is, then make this the path for the cutter to take. Of course, it will need to be a transparent png for this to work. If you use Photoshop then you can select the eraser option for removing the whole background...making sure of course that you don't cut away any of your original, then save it.