PDA

View Full Version : silhouette cutter

jennywren
25-02-2013, 02:00 PM
As it is quiet in the shop today I got out my silhouette cutter which I have never use, its been on my to do list before Christmas.
I'm ok till I have to put in the mat, I lift the lever and pop in the mat but when it starts to cut the mat moves around. tried it twice same results..Do you have to move the white roller( I think that white is the roller ) I cannot make them move no matter how hard I pinch them per instructions, as I missing something, that or I'm not strong enough

Ian M
25-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Jenny, this might be helpful for you to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6-XJG_ijA

accdave
25-02-2013, 02:16 PM
As it is quiet in the shop today I got out my silhouette cutter which I have never use, its been on my to do list before Christmas.
I'm ok till I have to put in the mat, I lift the lever and pop in the mat but when it starts to cut the mat moves around. tried it twice same results..Do you have to move the white roller( I think that white is the roller ) I cannot make them move no matter how hard I pinch them per instructions, as I missing something, that or I'm not strong enough

I've never got the pinch thing to work. Hold the silver bar with your fingers to stop it moving and then applying a bit of pressure twist and move the white roller out of the notches.

viccar
25-02-2013, 02:35 PM
You dont lift the lever to load mat, the lever is used when you need to move the rollers.

you just put the mat upto the rollers,

rollers should be to the far right for mats, then select load cutting mat (if your using one)
That video is for the old silouett SD, i presume you have the new silouette cameo.

jennywren
25-02-2013, 02:39 PM
thanks Ian for the video, no it won't move, I have a very weak grip and and it new and not worn in yet. the air in my shop is blue lol but thanks for the advice

viccar
25-02-2013, 02:41 PM
This ones for the cameo but turn the volume down first !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpRqEdJGEhE

jennywren
25-02-2013, 03:02 PM
I cannot shift the ... roller so I have phoned my brother who is built like a machine and will get him to twist it, once he moved it maybe it won' be so stiff, great video viccar. Will let you know how I'm getting on

jennywren
25-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I moved the roller in the end, it was stiff and very hard to shift, but the mat still moved, moving the roller made no difference any suggestions would be gratefully received. I had my meal so I going to look at youtube to see if I can find the answer there.

spongerobinson
25-02-2013, 08:31 PM
after you've lifted the lever to move the rollers, are you closing the lever again before loading the mat? sounds like that might be the issue.

viccar
25-02-2013, 08:42 PM
the lever on the right should point upwards

jennywren
25-02-2013, 10:13 PM
the lever on the right should point upwards
yes it up

after you've lifted the lever to move the rollers, are you closing the lever again before loading the mat? sounds like that might be the issue.quotespongerobinson
Yes I do that. thank you both of you for your rep leis , now I finally got it out I will not be giving up

viccar
25-02-2013, 10:26 PM
The short line on the left is where you line the mat up to, so that both rollers should not be on the sticky bit of the mat, also are the rollers in the groove

Mat in arrow first.

Cant think what else would cause this.

maybe a photo of how youve loaded the mat

jennywren
25-02-2013, 11:03 PM
My first roller is right near the cutter, and it was a a4 sheet of card the other was on the card, I'll set the machine up tomorrow and double check. Thanks again

viccar
25-02-2013, 11:20 PM
the other roller (white) shouldnt be on the card. it should be on the edge of the mat

viccar
25-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Im hoping you can see these enough to make out the text it is a 12 x 12 mat i just squidged the photo to fit it in.
Also mat and vinyl with no mat should be lined up with the short line on the left.
I realy need to get a video, and could put a few cameo tuts on here.

jennywren
26-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Looking at the pictures I'm placing the mat by the second line. I'm of to work in a hour so that will be my first thing on my list to try again lets hope that sort my problem

jennywren
26-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Thank you viccar I used the marks that you gave and hay presto no sliding, so not sure what's next, but back to reading the manual and learning what comes next

viccar
26-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Good glad you got it sorted,

i would reccomend an afternoon watching loads of youtube videos on the cameo, great way to learn it and the software, and gives you some inspiration as well.

jennywren
26-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Just using some card from the card shop to practise on, it the cutter always this loud, its not a quite machine. I suppose its its trial and effort getting the number right on the cutter for depth

viccar
26-02-2013, 01:38 PM
if your using the studio software, then use the menu on the right when cutting as to what your cutting and it will tell you the blade depth,

if you use the test cut it will only cut a little triangle and you will see if the blade is right depth for the card without ruining it all.

better to start of shallow than the blade too deep if your not sure.

jennywren
26-02-2013, 02:12 PM
If its to shallow and it does not cut through, is that sheet a total loss or is there some way of salvaging it. I did one sheet and it did not cut through, this is not a problem now as I just finding my way around, and the card is a reasonable price from our local craft shop

viccar
26-02-2013, 03:02 PM

1. select cut settings
2. choose nearest product
2a lol i forgot arrow but dont forget to change the blade depth
3. use the test cut.

Use the test cut (if your using studio) then you dont waste anything.

On cut setting in studio you can make your own custom setting, so when you do something new and find the right setting you can name it and then all your settings will be there each time you use it.

Ive never had to use above a 5 yet and thats on very thick rhinestone material.

jennywren
27-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I'v going to move on to print and cut that should be fun, printed a image of your sheet and have it on the wall, but first I have loads of work to do before I can play on cutter, back to the real world

jennywren
28-02-2013, 10:06 AM
What tools should I buy for weeding and is there any else you can recommend that I will need to make my life a bit easier for using the cutter. And where should I shop. Should I upgrade to Silhouette Studio® Designers Edition

viccar
28-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I use the cameo weeding tool, a poited ice picky thing (dont even know what it is, think it might actualy be a hole borer) a sharp blade.

If your doing a lot of card i bought some art painters palet knife set from £ shop brill for getting under the card and cleaning the mat.

you can buy weeding tools from create and craft, vinyl sellers, sellers of sub blanks often sell them, graphtecgb

The designer edition has the ability to import svg files and make rhinestone designs thats about the only difference. It depends what you want to use it for realy.

John G
28-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Scalpel knife.