PDA

View Full Version : Images & the use of them

jaffacat
27-04-2010, 06:01 PM
hi
im new to this and have been looking at stuff for sale on ebay toget some ideas but was wondering how you go about using images such as:
pink panther, disney pictures of say snow white, images of icons say elvis or rock bands, maps of the london underground maps, corry stars etc etc? many people seem to be using them to put on mugs & tshirts and selling them on.

Can you use the images on Google images?

ive read about trademarked products etc how do you know that they are trademarked & cant use them?

Im a little confused as I was hoping to offer similar products to local shops for reselling but am warey of breaking the law.

Any advice /guidance would be really helpful.

Thanks LIsa

bms
27-04-2010, 06:20 PM
wondering how you go about using images such as: pink panther, disney pictures of say snow white

You pay a shed load of money to the owners of the copyright and then you can use them to make a profit out of using the images :!:

Glen
27-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi Lisa..just about anything you find on the net is copyright even the images you download from an image site are not for commercial use unless you pay for the license..all football, Disney and band are copyright unless you have the permission to use them.. i know flee bay is full of them but beware you only have to get caught once and you could be talking thousands of pounds in fines..as i said on another post you can supply shops with these images on products but if they get caught do you honestly think they will take the wrap or say were they got them from.. :roll:
For eg..i have professional photos of my pets on the web..and if i found another site using them on a product i would not even contact them..would get my legal team to do it first..Sorry to be blunt but they so many at this game now and using everything they can get there hands on and taking away from the hard working guys and girls who really try there best to work and promote there business the legal way.. ;) .Appreciated your honesty in asking first as most would not.. ;)
Will give another example Lisa..we had a very high profile customer last week looking a few hundred mugs and we had to wait for clearance and sign a legal document to use the image they owned but they had to get clearence from the photographer first.. :shock:

jaffacat
27-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys, really interesting cant believe that there are hundreds on fleebay using them........... I would hate to be on the wrong side of the law hence asking first.

Fair comment glen re use, I suppose its not worth reproducing/asking to reproduce an piece as the company that has it registered would probably charge a fortune to allow this (if they do)!

Im just considering my options other than putting peoples own pictures on mugs/tshirts or doing my own graphics it limits what you can use!

If I went to the iphotostock (not sure of the name but the place that sells photos for people) and brought images off there could I use them freely on my designs?

Thanks Lisa (just trying to get a picture of what I could do with mugs/tshirts as footy team logos are out of the question aswell!)

jaffacat
27-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Just out of interest I searched the internet & found a list of sites (link below) wiht stock images (free) for commercial use. Ive read the terms on one site and they are ok to use on mugs/tshirts etc....what do you think?

http://www.webdesignlessons.com/16-webs ... rcial-use/ (http://www.webdesignlessons.com/16-websites-with-free-stock-images-for-commercial-use/)

one last thing, if I took a photo of say a piece of graffiti on the wall or say something with mickey mouse on would that also be a no...no due to the fact it is still disney even though its a photo of something (say a tshirt with mickey mouse on)?

just checking the boundaries really...

thanks lisa

John G
27-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Yes they allow you to use their images on websites, flyers, business cards etc but not for printing onto, and then reselling, promotional items.

Check the licence, lots of do's and don'ts.

Come up with something original, sell it fast until its copied, then come up with another idea. Its never ending :)

Andrew
28-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Agree with all the above. Stock photo stuff from the net has licence options for their use and to use them to brand an item will either cost a lot or not be an option.

If you use these images at some stage you will get caught. You could get lucky and get a slapped wrist or they could make an example of you and sink you. Not worth it imo.

There are some clever carricature images out there and designs which people develop but it is quite a skilled area. All still a minefield but that is an option if done correct.

jaffacat
30-04-2010, 04:03 PM
hi ive seen a design or a few I like that are copyrighted, if I draw my own version of them & use my version is that ok? just got a fab idea for the kids footy team presentation awards but have got the shirt idea from somewhere, all the drawings and designs of my version are my own (and no where near as good as the original)>

thanks lisa

JSR
02-05-2010, 05:34 PM
hi ive seen a design or a few I like that are copyrighted, if I draw my own version of them & use my version is that ok? just got a fab idea for the kids footy team presentation awards but have got the shirt idea from somewhere, all the drawings and designs of my version are my own (and no where near as good as the original)>
It would depend how close to the original your design is to the version that you're using as a base. The clue is in the word "copyright" - it's a "right to copy". If your design looks like a copy, then you'll probably be on shaky ground.

If your design, even if it doesn't look like a copy, includes something like a football team's design/logo/trademark, then you'll be on even shakier ground (because then it's not about copyright, it's about brand recognition - trademarks). A kid's footy team may be different to a big team, but the same copyright rules would apply.

Ultimately, though, if you're in any doubt that your work may be infringing anyone's copyright - ask the copyright owner before doing anything with it. Only they can give you permission (or let you know if permission is not required).

There's a whole website on Intellectual Property rights (of which copyright is one part) at: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/. I would recommend everyone reads it whenever they have a chance.

jaffacat
02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Website looks interesting, many thank will have a mooch at it when I get some spare time

Lisa