PDA

View Full Version : Tapered latte mugs

Kaz
29-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Can these be printed on a standard mug press, or do I need something different?

bms
29-04-2010, 11:17 AM
You need a special latte mug attachment for the mug press (our DF14 comes with 4 attachments for standard mugs, thinner mugs and 2 types of latte mugs). Alternatively you can buy the latte Cactus wrap for oven cooking them.

Kaz
29-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks Martin, will give it a miss just now until I recoup some of my outlay :)

Paul
29-04-2010, 03:51 PM
I think there is a problem with price of the attachment/wrap for those mugs. is simply to dear :(
I think there will be better off if supplieres sell them cheap so then they can make more money on mugs... wherever I looked for those wraps I found you need to pay at least £70 :( rhis is far too much for me as new mug press cost not far more...

my 3p ;)

bms
29-04-2010, 04:01 PM
The Cactus wraps are cheaper if you want to print these with an oven...

Paul
29-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I know but I preffer to do them in my press. wraps are great for mug machines.
I will wait when prices will drop right down or just give up with latte mugs...

swimwivsquid
29-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I do the latte mugs in an oven and just wrap the paper around the mug making sure its good and tight and cook them for around 8 minutes and they turn out fine. Never found the need for a wrap. When they come out of oven I just pop them in some tempered water and away you go. I do about 4 at a time in the oven that I have and have found that the best way to put them in is lying on the rack with the handle poking through the bars.This also helps the paper to stay in place if the heat tape starts to lift.

Paul
29-04-2010, 07:41 PM
wowww! and picture is not faded??? what you normaly print on them? text? graphics? any chance to see any of your latte mugs?

Paul

swimwivsquid
29-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi Paul,
We do all our mugs this way and don't have a problem. Have a look at our website under products

http://www.richardandjenita.com/index.html

You just have to make sure that the paper is taped tight onto the mug otherwise it can blow out. Quicker and cheaper than using wraps. Also you can halt the sublimation process better by them cooling off quicker either in air or in water thus keeping things consistant when doing a run of the same mug.
Give it a try.
Regards
Richard

Kaz
29-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Richard

What temp do you have the oven at?

And could I use my fan assisted oven on my cooker?

And can I be your daughter and come live in Grenada with you? :lol:

swimwivsquid
29-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi Kaz, temperature is set at 200C but to be sure we use a digital meat thermometer with the probe inside the oven so that we can keep a check on the temp as some ovens are not that accurate. If your fan assisted oven is electric then yes you can use it but to be honest you can pick up a cheap electric oven at Argos or such like for about £50 or under which will do the job and not contaminate your cooker with the aroma of sublimation. I think somewhere on the forum there was a discussion about different ovens a while back. Hope this helps.
Regards Richard

Kaz
29-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks Richard, will take a look on Argos website :)

bms
30-04-2010, 07:31 AM
A mug oven is very similar to the JML desktop oven (I think you pay more for the mug oven though because it has that expensive "mug oven" sticker on it ;)

Kaz
30-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Off to have a look for a JML oven ;)