PDA

View Full Version : black mugs

jennywren
30-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I have been asked to do K company mugs they would like the background to be black ( full wrap), with their crest on top. Can you buy black mugs so I can put a design on. I have a feeling not but can only try, will the black be consitant if I did it my self. Don't want to say yes incase I give they give different black full wraps.. :roll:

bms
30-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Not by sublimation, but you could get them screen printed.

jennywren
30-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for that, I will try and talk them out that, I've sent him to M company to take a look at their mugs and I did them black on white. Fingers crossed they will agree, I hate handing over work. :evil:

chongsta
30-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I tried black mugs but couldnt get a decent black at all. Even with the proper profile I got shades of black. Probably the best black i got was when I turned off all profiles and printed the design raw in RGB.

GoldRapt
30-04-2010, 11:13 PM
HAng on there Jenny, what about colour changing mugs, dont they exist anymore?
Theyre dye sub aren't they?
look black and wwhen they have hot water in them change to white with your dye subbed artwork.
Yes they do, here
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimat ... n-mugs.htm (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/57/wow-colour-change-sublimation-mugs.htm)

Justin
30-04-2010, 11:40 PM
What quantity are you looking at? May be worth contracting out if the numbers are high enough.

Kaz
01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
What about the black panel mugs?

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimat ... on-mug.htm (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/490/black-panel-sublimation-mug.htm)

jennywren
04-05-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm waiting for them to come back where I will offer the black mugs fro printowners. I also don't think that I can get the black look the same on 80 mugs it. I'm sure the shades will be black to blue :lol:

JSR
04-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm waiting for them to come back where I will offer the black mugs fro printowners. I also don't think that I can get the black look the same on 80 mugs it. I'm sure the shades will be black to blue :lol:
The black mugs with the white printable panel sold by BMS are single-panel mugs (the printable panel is about 4" wide by 3.75" high). They're good mugs but not for a wrap print because you can only print on the one side where the panel is.

The old-style of black mugs with a white "wrap" panel are still sold by Listawood: http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.co.uk ... roduct=581 (http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.co.uk/products.php?category=2&section=47&product=581)

The key difference other than the size of the printable areas is that the new ones (sold by BMS) are dishwasher-safe while the old ones (sold by Listawood) are not. I had some of the old ones once (when Subli-Nation sold them) and, to be honest, the printable panel was all over the place and trying to line up the print was an exercise in frustration (this may not be the case with the ones from Listawood). The newer ones sold by BMS are much more consistent and of a better quality.

However, if you're doing a logo on a black background, you will notice that the black you get from printing onto the white panel will not be the same as the deep gloss black of the mug - and, even if you feel it's satisfactory, you will see the "edge" of the panel and it'll be obvious that you've printed on a panel.

Also, the white panel that you're printing on reflects colour differently depending on your light source. If you're trying to print a greyscale, you'll notice a red tone under household lights but a blue tone under daylight. You can't tweak your print to accommodate all different light sources. I haven't done enough greyscale printing on the BMS ones to see how bad it is on them, but the previous "wrap panel" ones left a lot to be desired and that's why I stress the difficulties on my website in the product description to avoid customer disappointment.

Personally, I only recommend the black "panel" mugs for full colour photographs that cover the full panel rather than for logos/designs that require a black background. With a photo, they look great because it's not obvious that you've printed "on a panel" and, with a good colourful picture, the colour tone under different light sources is virtually unnoticeable.

I'd recommend you do some samples for yourself to see what result you'll get before committing to a large order. BMS sells them in quantities as low as 12, which should give you an understanding of whether they're suitable.

jennywren
04-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all your comments which I have taken on board, just lately all my mug orders have not been easy, I get quite green with envy for those of you that get a simple logo,( green green and more green :mrgreen: ) I end up with stripes crowns and names, I always end up with crest done in pen or pencil which I then in turn have to have it redone, but picking the right colours are my biggest nightmare, sometime they don't relize that red comes in many shades as does the rest of the colour spectrum.

GoldRapt
04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all your comments which I have taken on board, just lately all my mug orders have not been easy, I get quite green with envy for those of you that get a simple logo,( green green and more green :mrgreen: ) I end up with stripes crowns and names, I always end up with crest done in pen or pencil which I then in turn have to have it redone, but picking the right colours are my biggest nightmare, sometime they don't relize that red comes in many shades as does the rest of the colour spectrum.
I know a sandcarver not a million miles from me that might be able to do them for you :D

JSR
04-05-2010, 11:50 PM
True. In the case of logos on coloured or black mugs, they are better off going to a screen printer. However, they invariably don't want to pay for the minimum order quantity (either 72 or 144 mugs) nor do they want to pay the £25-£50 set-up charge nor do they wish to pay extra for each additional colour.

So they see dye-subbers offering no minimum order quantity and then don't understand why we can't do those mugs or offer precise colour-matching. It's difficult to say to customers, in a polite way, that the reason we have no minimum order quantity, no set-up charge, and no guaranteed colour-matching, is because dye-sublimation is a "print it on white" and "close enough is good enough" printing method. Great for photos, less great for designs/logos on non-white backgrounds.

Some customers will accept the limitation (such as the black "panel" mugs) because of the advantage of not being lumbered with 150 mugs and a big bill. Others, well, they were probably only looking for a third quote to dismiss anyway. :D

jennywren
06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Just a update I have done the mugs and black was good, not one turned funny I would upload a pic for it for you to see, I have no idea how :?: . Although I do mugs all the time there is sometimes a few that you think I did good and pat yourselve on the back and this was one of them, please for them that they turned out well.

Kaz
06-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Jenny

Under the posting box on here, ther are 2 tabs, one says "upload attachment" if you click on that, it let's you browse your PC and you can upload a piccy :D

jennywren
06-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I'll give a go, I must be soild as it took me ages to find it :oops: Here it is and they all came out like this. Some days i think we all have good burns and other days ....... just had a look in preview it looks huge sorry if it is :roll:

jennywren
06-06-2010, 02:30 PM
sorry it has how should I make it smaller

jennywren
06-06-2010, 02:34 PM
hope this works