PDA

View Full Version : T Shirt Printing

danzab
30-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi,

Im having a couple of more problems,are you sick of me yet!!

Just tried doing a couple of t shirts,set the temp to 195 for 50 seconds. The first t shirts came out very feint,so Im guessing I didnt put enough pressure on?

The second t shirt came out ok but I think I must have used too much pressure as you can see the outline of the press on the t shirt. Also the t shirt has gone yellow at the edges,I guess it must be from getting too hot. Do I need to put anything under or over the t shirt in the press,I had a couple of sheets of paper under the t shirt but nothing over the top of the transfer itself

Thanks

Dan

Justin
30-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Hey Dan,

We never get sick of members asking questions! ;)

I always put a silicone sheet inbetween the press upper platen and the shirt, I also put one under the shirt in case the image blows through. The yellowing sounds like scorching so this may well solve that problem.

You don't need an awful lot of pressure, light to medium should suffice, you're not pushing the image through the shirt, the sublimation process will do the work, you're just holding the image securely in place.

I'm afraid you may well get lines around the area where the paper touches the shirt and also where the edge of the press touches the shirt, you have to get a decent compromise but lines will always be evident. There are tricks to reduce this marking, lifting the image, cutting around the image. I stopped printing subli tees a few years back as I hated seeing the lines around the image. Just started again as a customer has requested them. Most customers won't even notice the lines but as a printer you/we do. Again, it's a trade off against getting a one off, vibrant, full colour photo quality image printed cheaply.

What shirts are you using? I used to use Xpres mainly and whilst the shirts were nice, i found the thickness made the press lines far worse. Recently switched to Vapor and I've reduced the press lines a great deal by doing so, I'm fairly happy now!

danzab
30-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the reply,using some sublisoft t shirts,so might have to give the others a try

Thanks

Dan

bms
01-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Yellowing might be caused by being too hot. Bring your temp down to 180/185 and press for 65 seconds to compensate.

danzab
01-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the advice,been looking at the silicon sheets,how many times can the be re used or would I be better off buying the teflon sheet,does this last a lot longer than a 25 pack of silicon sheets?

Thanks

Dan

accdave
01-05-2010, 05:13 PM
If you want a temporary fix while you sort out which ones to get, nip to Asda or Tesco and pick up a roll of greaseproof paper :D

danzab
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
If you want a temporary fix while you sort out which ones to get, nip to Asda or Tesco and pick up a roll of greaseproof paper :D

Thanks for the tip

Justin
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I buy packs of 500 sheets from Xpres, £30 or something like. You can re-use them a few times but be careful that you don't get images ghosting onto blanks.