PDA

View Full Version : Large heat press, can I do smaller items?

jaffacat
01-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi

I think ive talked myself out of buying the combi press now and Im looking to go for a larger heat press (as getting A3 printer) but cant afford one with different attachments at the moment. What I wondered was that if I get this size of press can I do smaller items on them?

Maybe silly question but if I wanted to do a babys grow (with poppers) or polo shirt (wiht buttons) how do I protect these from the heat so that they dont melt?

Any recommendations for a heat press for this size at reasonable costs (as starting up)?

Thanks Lisa

Justin
01-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi Lisa,

You can buy an A3 size press that uses different size platens, the Adkins for example as I have. I used to have a small 6" x 6" platen which did look out of place but was great for smaller items, bibs, chest logos etc.

You can do smaller items on the large size platen but protecting plastic buttons etc. can be a pain.

Justin :)

jaffacat
02-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Hi what is the adkins model you have that does different plates will take a look around for prices but I understand Adkins are one of the best so I suspect will be out of my price range to start!

How do you endeavour to protect them then? do you cover them with something?

thanks LIsa

Justin
02-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Adkins are certainly at the tope end (and worth every penny) but you should be able to pick something up a lot cheaper. Getting interchangeable platens isn't easy on cheaper presses though.

I've pressed over plastic/metal buttons etc. in the past, bit fiddly as you need to lift some area of the item or cover the bits that could melt :cry: with something that will absorb the heat. The beauty of vinyl is it doesn't take long to press, often just a few seconds and at a lower temp, therefore the risk of melting is reduced greatly.

bms
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
We have a large heat press with 5 different base platens. If you get chance search for the DF450 on our website.

NASH
04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
i just a mosemat into the garment so it raises the item to be pressed

jaffacat
04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
so nash do you put the mousemat under the item or inbetween the item - not sure i understand how you do it?

im really thinking of babygrows to press and they come with poppers at the bottom or maybe polo shirts so was worried about the buttons on them melting as it would be sub printed.

thanks lisa

accdave
04-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I put half a mouse mat inside the baby-gro's, the poppers should then be below the level of the mouse mat. You could even get the poppers to dangle over the edge of the press if you're not sure.

Polo shirts I put over the press as if the press is wearing the shirt. Depends on your press but anything below Small adult on a large press is not feasible and I then use a mat inside the shirt.

bms
04-05-2010, 07:36 PM
If you can pad up the small garment then the larger flat bed press is fine. Also printing onto the backs of polos is fine if you feed the base platen on the press inside the polo shirt. The problems come when you want to press onto a jacket with lots of plastic zips or polos with the buttons. Then the larger presses become too large and the base of the machine prevents getting into these areas. A press with changeable base platens does offer increased versility and overcomes such problems. However this all adds to the costs of the press.