PDA

View Full Version : New toys arrived!!

smo
28-03-2013, 09:57 PM
We took delivery of a new toy....an Adkins Beta A2 press to sit next to our Adkins Beta A3 presses (2 off) in our pressing room - its a lovely bit of kit but weighs a ton!!

socialgiraffe
28-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Glad you said "WE" at the start, lifting that on your own could do serious damage :eek:

Justin
28-03-2013, 10:05 PM
What on earth will you be pressing?

smo
28-03-2013, 10:11 PM
I did move it on my own after myself and a collegue carried it to the pressing room, which happens to be upstairs!!!

We mostly press chromaluxe panels, got plans for a really BIG press later this year but that will have a room all of its own as it weighs over 500kg and requires a new 3-phase power supply too!

Maccbean
27-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I did move it on my own after myself and a collegue carried it to the pressing room, which happens to be upstairs!!!

We mostly press chromaluxe panels, got plans for a really BIG press later this year but that will have a room all of its own as it weighs over 500kg and requires a new 3-phase power supply too!

Can I ask how much you are paying for your new 3-phase power supply to be installed? I've heard that it's terribly expensive and not everyone can have it.

smo
27-04-2013, 03:33 PM
We're not - its that expensive!

We had western power come around (they own the network in our area) and was quoted a minimum of £22,000+VAT to install 3 phase. Its crazy as the 3 phase pole it comes from is not more than 100m away in a field next to us so its not a hard job (ie: no roads to dig etc.). We were told though that if we were on the industrial estate a few miles away it would be £3,000+vat approx - I guess this is the price we pay for being in a beautiful building in a scenic valley surrounded by fields, forest and lovely views!

When we need 3 phase we are going down the diesel generator route, although that is a whole new ball game with its own pitfalls and problems.

Maccbean
27-04-2013, 03:36 PM

We had western power come around (they own the network in our area) and was quoted a minimum of £22,000+VAT to install 3 phase. Its crazy as the 3 phase pole it comes from is not more than 100m away in a field next to us so its not a hard job (ie: no roads to dig etc.). We were told though that if we were on the industrial estate a few miles away it would be £3,000+vat approx - I guess this is the price we pay for being in a beautiful building in a scenic valley surrounded by fields, forest and lovely views!

When we need 3 phase we are going down the diesel generator route, although that is a whole new ball game with its own pitfalls and problems.

Gulp...HOW MUCH??? I was thinking of getting a quote for my new business, but don't think I'll bother! Thanks.

smo
27-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Gulp...HOW MUCH??? I was thinking of getting a quote for my new business, but don't think I'll bother! Thanks.

It does vary wildly but even if the connection is right outside your premises you are looking at 3K+ to get it connected, there is nothing cheap about it and you have no option but to go to the network operator in your area.

Reg
27-04-2013, 03:48 PM

Why not use an inverter and run off your single phase it'll be much cheaper,

smo
27-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Inverters cant cope with the load from a heating element. They are generally designed for use with a 1-2hp 3 phase motor which draws much less current than we will. Generator is the only viable alternative option.

rossdv8
28-04-2013, 02:32 AM
I would love to find out a little more about the smaller one. I have an 'INSTA' press. It is 20 years old, and weighs a ton. apart from an old fashioned thermostat and a timer like an over timer (complete with bell) the only difference I can see is the knob on the swing handle.

pisquee
28-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Instas are made in California - https://www.instagraph.com/
In UK, I have seen them rebranded as MetroSport, as well as MagicTouch and Xpress
They have a similar design chassis wise to Adkins in the UK, but not identical - I have no idea who copied who though.
Insta are good with tech support - I phoned them, and they were able to talk me through some electrical diagnostics and repairs of one machine we had in. They also have exploded diagrams, showing all the parts, and how they fit together for download.

I've not as yet, opened up an Insta and Xpress side by side to compare them.

rossdv8
28-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks for that link. The thing is almost unbreakable. But it would be good to know i can get bits. Like the thermometer on the front. I know the thermostat light goes on and off, but it is a nice touch to have an actual thermometer built in.

pisquee
28-04-2013, 01:52 PM
I love that the old Instas have normal thermometers on the front, and clockwork timers - less to go wrong!
Yea, spares are available form them -just need to give them a call/email - I need to get a new heat probe from them

rossdv8
28-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Yes, the clockwork timer is the other thing that is broken. Mind you it took over 20 years of producing a hell of a lot of tees. I thnk it had the ceramic fuse replaced about once every 7 years. The timer will work for 20 seconds, but 40, it stops after 35. I have replaced it with a digital one, but I would like to replace the original if I can. The thermometer though, I would like to fix that, and also install one on my cheap chinese clamshell. The INSTA is nicely greased and is a single finger to swing away and back. Glides.

I replaced the bottom part with a teflon covered pad and did the same on the clamshell. Has some disadvantages because now shirts slip on it, but has advantage too, because now shirts slip on it.

I have a frame sized for each press that positions the shirt exactly on the pad. All that is needed is to position the shirt exactly in the frame first.