PDA

View Full Version : repairing a vinyl design?

soulclaimed
03-04-2013, 10:29 PM
I a friend who has a T-shirt pressed with vinyl text by one of there friends who has now passed away, the text is now lifting at the edges and I have been asked to repair it, personally due to the sentimental value and my currently limited knowledge of vinyl I declined to fix it myself, my query is how possible is it to refix the design and is there anyone who would do this job? She wants to keep everything that's there on the shirt and not replicate

bms
03-04-2013, 10:36 PM
I a friend who has a T-shirt pressed with vinyl text by one of there friends who has now passed away, the text is now lifting at the edges and I have been asked to repair it, personally due to the sentimental value and my currently limited knowledge of vinyl I declined to fix it myself, my query is how possible is it to refix the design and is there anyone who would do this job? She wants to keep everything that's there on the shirt and not replicate

You should be able to re-press this carefully. Cover with a teflon sheet and re-press in your flat bed press.

viccar
04-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Apart from re-pressing and hoping it will re activate a bit of the glue, i cant see as there would be anything else you could do and if you done as above and covered with teflon sheet it should not do any harm.

If you were to re-press it, it would be worth asking them to wash it in the washing machine without anything in (just plain water) to get rid of any detergent/conditioner that has been used.

mrs maggot
04-04-2013, 11:47 AM
a bit of wonderweb - the hemming stuff might work if the glue cannot be reactivated.

logobear
04-04-2013, 01:14 PM
A re-press usually sticks it back for a while.
We offer a tshirt recreation service, scan it (or photograph) - then PS and all your skills to clean and remove background, and remake - you can charge a lot for this service !

socialgiraffe
04-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Eventually the garment will wear out and the vinyl may lift again.

If I were you I would suggest you repress/repair it, then get it framed so it will last forever, perhaps add a metal plaque at the bottom with the persons name and dates of life. You could always make a reproduction if she wants one to wear. I don't think the customer would mind wearing a reproduction if the original has been framed for prosperity.

arko
04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Nice idea that socialgiraffe!... thats now got my mind doing overtime.