PDA

View Full Version : Do I need teflon sheets?

Louise
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
SO the new press arrives on Thursday now, but just before I buy teflon sheets for it, do I need them?

I have read that you can use greaseproof paper or silicon paper, presume the stuff you can get in supermarkets?

Any recommendations on what to use guys?

Thanks in advance. 8-)

AJLA
05-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I have belt and braces although not always used together, I do use greaseproof every time I print a sbuli t shirt to prevent the ink from transfering through as sometimes it could go onto your press, then onto the next t you print, or mug in your press, I usually use the teflon sheets when pressing vinyl.

Kaz
05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I do use greaseproof every time I print a sbuli t shirt to prevent the ink from transfering through as sometimes it could go onto your press, then onto the next t you print

I had that happen on the first run of tees I made :roll:

AJLA
05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
ME TOO :oops:

Justin
05-05-2010, 06:59 PM
500 A3 sheets for £30 from Xpres, last ages and can save a blooming nightmare with the image transferring :x

Louise
05-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for that, Ive just noticed I get 2 teflons with the press but I think I'll get some of the normal paper too. Thank you for sharing your slip ups too, guess Ive got a lot of those to come! reminds me of the early days embroidering, had some great mess ups then :lol:

Justin
05-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Edit my last post, £25+vat for 500 silicon sheets from Xpres.

JSR
06-05-2010, 01:23 PM
When I first got my flatbed, I bought two thick teflon sheets (from Revolution). I wrapped one around the base of the press (secured in place so it doesn't ever move).

I then use a belt & braces approach. I use rolls of greaseproof paper from Tesco. One lays over the base (over the teflon), then the item with the transfer over it, then a layer of greaseproof over the transfer paper, and the second Teflon to protect the top of the press (the heat platen).

It sounds like overkill but I once tried to do a bag and the straps melted. Had it stuck to either the rubber base of the press or the heat platen, it would have been a real job to clean off. But as it only came into contact with the teflon, it took just seconds to clean off.

The Teflon sheets are the same ones I bought years ago, but I use the greaseproof as a cheap "single use" protection. The press, underneath the teflon sheet, still looks as good as new.

Heat presses cost a lot of money to replace, so it's not worth scrimping on a few pennies to give it added protection from accidents.

Louise
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Well I got 2 teflon sheets with the press for free so thats good, also ordered some of the silicon sheets too and have a roll of greaseproof on hand, so I think we are all set for the first try!

Mind you, how big are those presses when they arrive :shock: It didnt look that big at the show room :lol: But in the office! Still I hope it will good, we went with an Adkins swing press, hoping that was a good choice, time will tell I guess.

sunny09
08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
hi , if the heating plate have teflon coating, so you dont need the teflon sheets,otherwise you need.

Claretman
09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
So, can I get this right, you place a sheet of greaseproof paper on the teflon bottom plate, then the t shirt on top, followed by the transfer paper dye sub ink print then a further greaseproof sheet before pressing down the top plate for the heat transfer? Is that correct, as I dont want to burn my mum's house down at my first attempt at t shirt printing. Try explaining that one to the fire investigation officer lol. :lol:

Also, can I ask about temperatures, if using a dye sub suitable t shirt with an A4 size colour paper transfer, what temp should I use and for how long? The G3838 heat press I bought is okay but the manual is in pidgeon German so pretty hopeless and no explanation of temps etc. Or, will the transfer paper I buy have an instruction sheet and temp guidances?

Remember: Every Day is a Good Day, some Days Just Come with Clouds!

Ian M
09-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Steve,

I just put the T-shirt onto the bottom plate silicon rubber & I just use Asda silicon grease proof paper on top of the transfer. This works fine for me as I don't do too many T-shirts at the moment.

I press at 190 degrees C for 50 seconds.

The temp & the time are a bit trial & error to begin with but one big tip is to write down your settings once you have them.

When I first started I bought a load of cheap microfibre dusters to practice on which worked fine.

Xpres used to have a chart on their website which you could download but, seems to have gone now.

Good luck.

Ian

Claretman
09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi Ian, many thanks for the tips! The more tips and advice I can get the better and I like the idea of practising on the microfibre dusters, saves a fortune on damaged t shirts. Cheers!

Justin
09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Xpres used to have a chart on their website which you could download but, seems to have gone now.

I should have a copy of this that I can upload, will sort out.

Kaz
26-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Steve

If you get a dmamged tshirt, just keep it for practicing on, that's what I do :)

I've got a few tshirts upstairs, in differnet colours, that have subli/vinyl and transfer papers on :lol: