PDA

View Full Version : OKI Laser Printer and Stahls Clam Basic for starters.....?

mikeoooze
23-04-2013, 05:46 PM
After a lot of deliberation and a tight budget I have decided to go with a OKI Laser Printer and Stahls Clam Basic. They are both here: http://www.targettransfers.com/d/PR07/Stahls-Clam-Basic and http://www.printerland.co.uk/OKI-C530dn-P110363.aspx.

I hope to use Wow no weed transfer papers from magic touch. I was at the NEC in Birmingham in February and was very impressed with this transfer paper. I am a complete newbie and would welcome any comments/tips i.e the best T Shirts to use Gildan, FOTL or whatever...

Cheers, Mike.

logobear
23-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Hi,
TMT have 2 wow processes, the older one uses any laser printer and 7.2 paper, and is very difficult to master, as a newbie I cannot recommend it (we struggled with 20 years laser transfere experience, really struggled!)
The new wow process uses wow 7.5 but you must have a WHITE laser printer, - eg the 711w - but that is about £2000 - but then the process is EASY ! - or at least quite easy !
Additionally, Laser transferes NEED a good press capable of very high application pressure, so that generally means an Adkins swing away, or a Geo Knight.... both about double the cost of the Stahls
The press chosen is a good clam press for sure, but they cannot generate the same even pressure of a good swing away.
For that kind of budget, you might be better avoiding laser and going for an introductory vinyl cutter, and a sublimation printer.
I cannot recommend the package you have selected for laser transferes, especially wow!

mikeoooze
23-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks for that logobear. I know that the Wow 7.5 is for the white laser printer, but is it not possible to use the 7.5 with other (non white) laser printers?

logobear
23-04-2013, 06:26 PM
I imagine so, but it is a very expensive media, price to drop significantly i hear ......but I don't know how useful it would be without the white...... how do you print a logo that includes white or even pale colours on a not white garment ?
talk to TMT tecnical, v helpful !

Ask_Alan
24-04-2013, 01:01 PM
WoW 7.5 rarely ever works with a clam press, simply not enough pressure. Some swing presses do not generate enough pressure amd other are inconsistant in pressure. There is another problem with the WoW 7.5, it runs at 120 degrees and some cheaper presses can struggle holding this temperature consistantly.

To answer the question, WoW 7.5 works by using toner to lift the white layer off the M sheet. A certain % of toner is needed to lift the M. So if you have a dark image with no light patches you could get 7.5 to work. The C711WT provides sufficent white toner (we have an adjustable white level to prevent wastage) in white and lighter areas to make this work.

In reality using the 7.5 with a standard printer means very careful image selection and colouring and is a pita. Its easier to use 7.2 at least it works!

mikeoooze
24-04-2013, 05:28 PM
WoW 7.5 rarely ever works with a clam press, simply not enough pressure. Some swing presses do not generate enough pressure amd other are inconsistant in pressure. There is another problem with the WoW 7.5, it runs at 120 degrees and some cheaper presses can struggle holding this temperature consistantly.

To answer the question, WoW 7.5 works by using toner to lift the white layer off the M sheet. A certain % of toner is needed to lift the M. So if you have a dark image with no light patches you could get 7.5 to work. The C711WT provides sufficent white toner (we have an adjustable white level to prevent wastage) in white and lighter areas to make this work.
In reality using the 7.5 with a standard printer means very careful image selection and colouring and is a pita. Its easier to use 7.2 at least it works!

Thanks Alan!