PDA

View Full Version : Self Weeding Transfers (LoveCut, Yolo)

joeyr69
03-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I have had a snoop but cant find many reviews on the self weeding transfer paper.

I am looking into this as ideally I want to print on cotton and dark colours.

I have noticed there is a self weeding paper for lights and dark's (using a laser printer) so my questions are as follows:

How do these wash up?
How do they feel on the material?
What laser printer is recommended?

I would say cotton and dark printing would only be about 20/25% of my business so ideally don't want to spend a fortune on cutters etc. My market is mainly hens / stags so the durability is not really a mega issue.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Jo

joeyr69
03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Also forgot to mention that my prints are not very often photo prints, just basic colour designs so would any colour laser printer do?

smo
05-05-2013, 12:52 PM
The better quality the laser the better quality the output. You only get out what you put in so whilst "any" laser printer will do a better quality is obviously er....better!

We like to use OKI lasers for all colour work both in print (on the few lasered products - most is litho based) and with the garment side of things and have a whole range of models.

zai2289
05-06-2013, 09:25 AM
I have used self weeding paper (kissCut) & found that it doesn't quite do the job, however my designs did consist of quite fine line work, would imagine on a bulkier design that it would be great & would recommend KissCut papers

mrs maggot
05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
yolo and others will send you out sample packs - that way you can try for yourself, and run some wash tests - and be 100% happy before you go ahead and sell items

socialgiraffe
05-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Not every laser printer will work, you will need to check with each supplier of paper if a particular printer will work.

If you are not doing that many dark garments then perhaps the old WOW system from TMT will be suited. Its a bit of a faff to master but once mastered it does wash well and works. TMT will be happy to demonstrate in their showroom I think. You will need an excellent good quality heat press to use WOW paper

Dave271069
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
not dark but here is one i printed yesterday, using TMT LASER TRANSFER PAPER, 1812
I have just purchased a OKI C610, At he moment im playing around with some sample paper they sent with it i will then buy some as i like the feel and it looks good IMO.

logobear
05-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I have tried the so-called 'self weeding' laser papers, and never found them quite good enough......the white T's product is a lot more expensive, and on the right cotton tops, the 'polymer window' effect is negligible.
For the darks I found that the process didn't work for most typical artwork, and is nothing like the effects obtained by TMT wow, - especially using the white laser printer, - were the results are simply stunning.
You feel like a magician peeling and relieving the new wow!

mikeoooze
07-06-2013, 07:15 PM
That looks good Dave. Did you use the WOW paper? What heat press do you use?

chongsta
12-12-2013, 11:39 PM
The better quality the laser the better quality the output. You only get out what you put in so whilst "any" laser printer will do a better quality is obviously er....better!

We like to use OKI lasers for all colour work both in print (on the few lasered products - most is litho based) and with the garment side of things and have a whole range of models.

do you use the OKI white printer?...if so..the A4 or A3?

thanks
Dave

tlworkwear
13-12-2013, 08:12 AM
I have also had mixed results trying the various 'no weed' solutions out there. I have an Oki and although its getting on a bit now its still a great laser printer but I found the results were never great trying to use any transfer papers onto dark garments. I tried Wow a few times and even had a demo from Magictouch and they made it look so easy! I now sub out any jobs that require intricate or full colour designs onto dark garments. Any simple designs I cut onto vinyl and press myself but like the previous posters have said make sure you test everything and make sure you are happy with the end result before selling.

Its worth asking a few companies to send you some samples so you can test the quality yourself first.