PDA

View Full Version : can i sublimate a mug twice?

printeire
05-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Hi
just wondered if it is possible to sublimate a mug twice. What I am thinking of is whilst I am practicing can i sublimate an image on the left hand side of the mug and then later sublimate the right hand side. The reason i am thinking of diong this is to cut down on wastage

smo
05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
If you are only practicing what have you got to lose. It wont damage the mug and at worst the original "print" will come out a bit upon re-heating.

Justin
05-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Just remember that the existing image will ghost when it's recooked so always put a scrap of paper around the mug if you're pressing a second time :-)

twinsgran
05-05-2013, 03:14 PM
We save all the "mistakes" and use them for practicing on. Great if you want to test a colour or how near you can get to the handle before the image fades. You also need a spare for when you're heating up your press. You should see some of the misprinted mugs we have hanging around! :)

printeire
05-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies - I just wasn't sure if appying heat sealed the coating and I wouldn't be able to re sublimate

printeire
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm sure you all already know this but I have just discovered that mugs sublimate a lot better when you print on the right side of the sublimation paper :redface:

Simon
07-05-2013, 10:25 AM
I Think it was paul on here who gave out a great tip, cos in the artificial light of my utility room its hard to determine which side is the whitest. Paul's tip was to lick the end of your finger and test which side is the stickiest - which ever is, that's the side to print to :)

rossdv8
09-05-2013, 12:13 AM
That tip helped me a lot. I wet the finger and thumb tips and hold a corner of the paper between them. You can feel immediately - and see - which side sticks.
Then I label the outer wrapper "Print This Side". But I still check sometimes, especially if I put the paper down before opening the tray.
My printers like to be fed one sheet at a time. If it is slightly humid (it's usually about 80-90% here) the feeder picks up several at a time after a few hours in the tray.

I discovered I could reprint a ceramic mug 6 times with small practice images. It is cheaper to waste paper than mugs. Doesn't work with poly mugs though. After the first print there's a big chance you won't get the former back in. If you do, there's a bigger chance you won't get it out unless you put mug and former in the freezer.