PDA

View Full Version : Print Pricing and Cost Predictions

Johnny
14-05-2013, 05:11 AM
This crossed my mind (while hovering around at 5 in the morning...), what do people use for pricing up their jobs? Spreadsheets, dedicated software, database, pen and paper?

I built a fairly indepth spreadsheet to calculate the cost of a print job (digital not dye sub), based around different material widths and roll lengths, ink consumption, qty, artwork size; to the point where I could tell it the material and the artwork size, and it would shoot out a price per unit, accounting for setup time and pressing. Even how long the job would take to print.

It would also give you other information, like how many rolls of material it would use and the qty in meters, incorporating bleed and margins between prints, and tell you which way round is best to fit the artwork on to the material wasting as little as possible.

I was thinking about adapting it for calculating dye sub jobs as well. If anyone is interested then I thought it could be a 'forum development'? Bounce some ideas around?

logobear
14-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Your comment on previous post on pricing coasters was very impressive and you clearly have great insight.
I would be happy to be involved, but confess my approach is more haphazard (or intuitive?)

James990
14-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I would be very interested!

socialgiraffe
14-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I would be interested, especially if you could input the unit cost of a blank.

For example some people get their mugs from BMS, others Listawoods and more from Raja. Each of varying quality and price.

Would love to get hold of a copy of this and then feedback where I think it could improve. I would also try and help if I could in the development but I struggle to use a calculator so I doubt if I would be much use :redface:

In terms of what I do now, for most of my items I sat down with a pen and paper and calculated the cost and have stuck to it for a couple of years now. As most of my customers are bulk purchase its not that difficult. If i do get a request for something different or a low run then its normally a dart board that solves the price request!

RogerC
14-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I do mine the old fashioned way...think of a number, double it add 20%, subtract a couple of pence, add postage and packing and then think 5od it ...I'll charge X amount :rolleyes:

gstk
14-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Great idea. Unfortunately shortly you will probably be bombarded by the "It doesnt cost..." brigade. We did a job last year or year before for can coolers. I tried to help by warning people to check their costs. Got pretty much shot down in flames even though I had actually done the job calculated it by ink used and blanks and time and still no one believed it. It was only the fact that it was a big company who had been let down at the last moment and I charged them a premium that saved us from doing the job at a loss. Had they have asked me months in advance I would have dropped a goolie. It would be a useful tool for everyone.

Johnny
14-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I do mine the old fashioned way...think of a number, double it add 20%, subtract a couple of pence, add postage and packing and then think 5od it ...I'll charge X amount :rolleyes:

Haha! That's brill! Used to do it by hand, but it ended up taking so long for each job I had to do something!

arko
15-05-2013, 08:43 AM

My sentiments exactly Roger! hahahaha... nice one! :wink:

JMugs
15-05-2013, 02:35 PM
GSTK I remember that, as I work the same way. You certainly were inn the firing line!

Johnny
17-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Ok, I'm going to have a crack. Does anyone here have dye sub on rolls?
If so, I'll work that into it too.

Dave271069
17-05-2013, 10:36 PM

sound very similar to mine!! but i always say call it this or that for friends which when i have a good think later ive usually lost somewhere along the line.

Johnny
18-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Ok, here's first go at things.

www.dosime.co.uk/DyeSubCalculatorPricing-v1.xlsx

There are five sheets:
1. Customer Quote - Does nothing just shows a simple qty/product/gross/net. You don't need to change anything on this sheet.
2. Quote Calculator - This is where you do most of the work. There are 7 fields you can change to get your prices out.
3. Products - Here you enter all the details that you need for each product.
4. Materials - Same as above. Should work with rolls as well as sheets. The Quote Calculator should tell you how many sheets or rolls you'll need if you enter the correct dimensions.
5. Settings - Lots of little things, VAT, wages, ink cost, stuff like that. As well as postage requirements.

I'll give a go at annotating it next week.

Feel free to comment, suggest changes etc.

Cheers,
J.

Mods, the attachment upload only allows doc, xls, and not docx, xlsx, worth an update/change to the approved list?

sharyn
18-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Johnny That is Very impressive! Thank you

James990
18-05-2013, 06:26 AM
I can't get the link to do anything?

Johnny
18-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I can't get the link to do anything?
Try copy and pasting it to the address bar? I know it works this end.

Johnny That is Very impressive! Thank you
Thanks! Anything you'd change?

Dave271069
18-05-2013, 11:13 AM
very technical, this is excatly what someone like myself really needs to use, but im so old fashioned i find excel difficult, i am definatly going to look into this formula and hopefully change my ways and pricing structure definatly if i want to take my hobby to the next level.
cheers

Johnny
18-05-2013, 11:19 AM
very technical, this is excatly what someone like myself really needs to use, but im so old fashioned i find excel difficult, i am definatly going to look into this formula and hopefully change my ways and pricing structure definatly if i want to take my hobby to the next level.
cheers

Hope it's some help to you.
Actually, about 6 months ago, I did a similar paper version, I tell you it was like a census form! But it worked.

P4UL
18-05-2013, 02:15 PM
For those having problems, I don't think it opens in certain browsers.....

James990
18-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Correct, no matter what I do I can't open it.

Johnny
18-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Correct, no matter what I do I can't open it.

Right click and save as?
Do you have a version of excel that is 2010 onwards?

James990
19-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Yep, but still does not work

logobear
19-05-2013, 09:43 AM
worked fine for me, but you do need the Doc X converter. soo many variables, will need some time to play with it later.
Meanwhile.......
I generally price things mostly on how long something will take. Media costs are generally only about 25 - 30% of total sale price, so bearing this in the back of my mind, I try to make sure that actual 'production' time is earning my shop at least £60 per hour.
So roughly, £60 + cost of materials used in 1 hour divided by the number of units 1 person can make in 1 hour = the cost per unit (+ vat if i think i can add it on)

Johnny
19-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Yep, but still does not work

PM me your email and I'll fire it over to you?

Johnny
20-05-2013, 09:16 AM
worked fine for me, but you do need the Doc X converter. soo many variables, will need some time to play with it later.
Meanwhile.......
I generally price things mostly on how long something will take. Media costs are generally only about 25 - 30% of total sale price, so bearing this in the back of my mind, I try to make sure that actual 'production' time is earning my shop at least £60 per hour.
So roughly, £60 + cost of materials used in 1 hour divided by the number of units 1 person can make in 1 hour = the cost per unit (+ vat if i think i can add it on)

So does that mean you'll only ever make £60 a day no matter what the cost of the job?

Andrew
20-05-2013, 09:56 AM
That was per hour I believe with LB. I work a similar way to the Bear. If I have a bespoke job then it is costed at a certain rate per person for each estimated hour the job will take. Other costs on materials and running etc are easy enough to workout.

socialgiraffe
20-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Hi johnny

I have just had a play with this and it looks really good. However I have just tried to insert my own product (in this instance a mug). I copied your coaster line and pasted it on a new line and then simply changed all the costs.

When I then selected from the drop down list on the quote calculator it shows the mug, but when I select it all the values below switch to N/A.

Don't suppose you know what I am doing wrong?

Johnny
20-05-2013, 09:07 PM
the initial copy and paste may have messed up some of the formulars, but somehkw it doesn't seem a likely contender.

star from the initial file and type in a new line. make sure all the sections in coloured outlined boxes are filled in, as well as the qty at the top.
make sure your product title doesn't have and and symbols or similar that may mess up the formulas.
if that doesn't work then post the file back to me and ill take a look.
what version of excel are you using?
j.

Johnny
21-05-2013, 02:12 AM
A little update - I calculated the material/product supplier postage wrong. Divided it against the order qty rather than the pack qty.

www.dosime.co.uk/DyeSubCalculatorPricing-v2.xlsx

dazzul
05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Just about to take a look, will post back

tlworkwear
05-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Will have a look at this as may help me price future jobs in a much better way! Thanks :)

dazzul
06-07-2013, 01:18 AM
I had a play with this and love the idea of it just when i add a new product on the quote page i get the product name but all else displays N/A

Any ideas?

Johnny
06-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Glad you like it, though it still needs more work.
Did you put in a qty at the top? Which cells are you including in 'all else'?
Can you put up some screen shots?
J.

dazzul
06-07-2013, 11:15 AM
I shall do it later for you chap :)

dazzul
07-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Hello Johnny, i have attached a image showing what i think you need to see :) let me know if anything else.
http://i44.tinypic.com/n3rp81.jpg

Johnny
07-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Ok, that wasn't too bad. Couple of 'false' settings missing in the vlookups.
This one should sort it: www,dosime.co.uk/DyeSubCalculatorPricing-v3.xlsx (http://www.dosime.co.uk/DyeSubCalculatorPricing-v3.xlsx)
J.

dazzul
07-07-2013, 01:40 PM

From what i have found
When i select material, the supplier remains the same.
Under material unused width & length seems to remain in mm is that right, (im just testing with your coaster)
Edit: Under material its reading the unit price & supplier postage from the products sheet, the Supplier name also is not correct.

I must admit this is a very good set up as it is and factors in many costs. I use somthing similar for pricing sign vinyl. Maybe ill upload it when we get a file section.

Edit again: Ive uploaded a modified version that fixed the supplier name and costings
http://www.filedropper.com/copyofdyesubcalculatorpricing-v3 (http://www.filedropper.com/copyofdyesubcalculatorpricing-v3)

How would it be possible to add a postage type? For example RM or Courier maybe dependent on product size?
Thanks
Daz

Benn81
29-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Just come across this thread.

This seems like a great idea, However the link only opens to filedropper and unable to download the file.?.

great work though

Regards
Benn

Justin
29-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Looks like the second link is missing .xlsx (http://www.dosime.co.uk/DyeSubCalculatorPricing-v3.xlsx) from the end :-) But I don't think it works still! lol.

Johnny
30-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Hi dazzel,
I've corrected the error you pointed out, linked to the wrong worksheet I'm afraid.
I'm also going to add in a few more things for the next revision as well as fixing problems, if I get it right, it should have a fully pdf/printable quote sheet and cost prediction sheet.
J.

HeartlandsElliot
01-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I must say Johnny's skills are second to none on this sort of thing. He has finished working for me today and will be missed.
He has created a number of calculators like this for me for use within my business. All saving me many hours quoting and making quoting a very accurate science. My staff now all have the tools to estimate without constantly asking me...

Wish you all the best John.

NikGrey
06-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I wish I could get my head around coding - I have tried a few times but it just makes no sense to me.

This is a subject I am most interested in, I am still 'Getting things right' in terms of producing things as I want them and Pricing is something I need to work out - a tool like this will be popular I am certain as I am sure most people just pick a number for a price.

I am almost on the edge of my seat in anticipation, (thinking about it I literally am on the edge of my seat to type..lol) - keep up the good work, it will be appreciated by many.

elliemillhill
07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
I LUV software of any kind.....have done quite a bit of beta testing in the past so very interested in your price calculator

dazzul
09-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Edited it abit more my self, and the only issue i now have is the drop down for the products, moves to the top left when opened.

Dazzul

sheryl_1975
09-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I would be interested two :)

NikGrey
13-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Splendid - Let's get to it then chaps.. we ALL need this :smile:

guarddog14
14-11-2013, 06:55 PM
just out of intrest what do you class your ink prices at? a mug i say is about 50 p and a phone case is 20 im i way off on these lol?

Renniwano
08-02-2015, 02:33 AM
Dragging up an old thread... but does anyone have the most recent version of Johnny's calculator? or any other they are happy to share.. I have looked all over for one and they are all US versions or way out of my pocket at nearly $400 for one.
Thanks guys :)

Johnny
08-02-2015, 03:28 AM
Blimey this is going back. Drop me me an email through my profile and I'll email where I go to with it.
J.

arko
08-02-2015, 10:57 AM
"Share"?..... Im sure the software author would be pretty hacked off! :mad:

Renniwano
08-02-2015, 11:05 AM
I don't mean it like THAT Arko lol.. I meant knowledge of but as it was 2.33am I guess I didn't word it too well.

arko
08-02-2015, 11:39 AM
hahahaha....its Sunday morning!..... ;) I know.... I just couldnt resist! :wink:

Renniwano
08-02-2015, 12:27 PM
If I were immoral enough to use copied software.. i'd be rich lol

arko
08-02-2015, 12:51 PM
hahaha... wouldnt we all!...

Johnny
09-02-2015, 01:50 PM
"Share"?..... Im sure the software author would be pretty hacked off! :mad:

Don't sweat. It was meant to be a freebie.
New link: http://www.dosime.co.uk/files/2015/DyeSubCalculatorPricing-v5.xlsx (http://www.dosime.co.uk/files/2015/DyeSubCalculatorPricing-v5.xlsx)
Enjoy!