PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Films

Suzy Q
20-05-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm having trouble with metallic (silver/gold) films and also Numbers (bought pre-made) sticking to t-shirts after heat pressing. I've followed heat instructions and even set it higher and lower but still they don't stay put. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas :) Suzanne

Paul
20-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Not at all??? Do you cold peel them?

Suzy Q
20-05-2013, 01:46 PM
with the gold I can get there eventually and one number has stuck..weird!

viccar
20-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Are you taking the backing sheet off when hot or cold, if hot try waiting until its cold before peeling.

Ask_Alan
20-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Do you pre-press? Sometimes the added heat can cause a normally hot peel material to fail to stick. Many of the metallic foils - the mirror or holographic look materials - are cold peel or at least wait to cool a bit before peeling. Then press for a couple of secs after peeling.

What sort of Tees? Polycotton / polyester hold heat longer than cotton so wait a bit before peeling.
alan

Suzy Q
04-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I don't generally pre-press unless the tshirt is really creased. I still can't work out where Im going wrong. I have the same problem with vinyl. The instructions (vinyl) say 10 secs at 150c and cold release. The only thing I can now think of is that Im doing something wrong. Should I be placing the teflon sheet over the carrier sheet ( as I have been doing) or could that in some way be acting as a barrier so the heat is wrong, if you get my drift? I've just watched one of Pauls videos where he doesn't use teflon and after he's removed the carrier sheet he presses again striaght onto uncovered vinyl. I assumed it would stick to the heat plate if I did that?

Renniwano
04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I always pre-press due to the moisture held in the material.. some flex will allow you to get away with not using anything over the top.. but some won't

After pressing.. I then remove the backing, cold or hot depending on flex and then press again with sheet over the top as I don't have a teflon coated press.. and it would melt to mine lol..

Maybe it's worth trying a pre-press with this ??

Suzy Q
04-06-2013, 03:23 PM
I'll certainly try :)
thanks

Suzy Q
04-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Can I just check again when you first press the vinyl, do you still use teflon over the carrier paper or not?

Renniwano
04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I use a sheet of silicone paper.. no matter what I do.. but that's just something I have always done :)

Suzy Q
04-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Ok well I've adjusted the pressure a bit and not used the teflon sheet and it's perfect!! Phew..at last :)

Suzy Q
04-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah sorry that's what I meant, silicone paper, NOT Teflon lol!

zai2289
05-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I always pre-press & have had no problems - where are you buying the film from?