PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem

sam
10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I am using an Epson Photo 1400 and having problems printing.

Initially we were having lines and banding on a regular basis but it cleared itself after a set of 1-2 nozzle checks/head cleans. Eventually this became so regular (every 5-10 prints) that it got a little ridiculous!

After much frustration I have spotted the "Best Photo" setting which I am convinced wasn't there before (although I could have just been completely oblivious to it) and tried printing with this.

This prints to the eye perfectly, no banding and the colours all seemed in proportion, although slightly stronger than we were used to. When pressing though this leaves the black colours coming out slightly green.

I did another nozzle check only to find out that there is no magenta being printed at the moment, only light magenta. I have checked that the CIS isn't blocked and that it is drawing ink, there is no ink in the air hole of the CIS and there is some ink in the cartridge (tested by using a syringe in the hole and the Epson status monitor says the cartridge is full).

Does anyone have any ideas?

bms
10-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi Sam,

I suspect Best Photo was there all the time ;) Have a look at this thread re the process for re-priming to see if that helps (assuming the carts are FIRMLY inserted):
http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=381&hilit=prime

Glescaboy
20-05-2010, 05:06 PM
We are on our second Epson 1400 with the bulk feed system and also suffer terribly with bad colour representation and banding.
We run a trial design using all nozzles every morning to keep the system fresh but even this procedure doesn't help.
Things are getting so bad we dread having to use the printer. (BTW we are very experienced in embroidery and have been using complex machinery and punching systems for over twenty years) - but this printer is getting the better of us.
Is it common to have problems with the Epson 1400 with bulk feed system? :oops:
All opinions welcome!
Cheers
Glescaboy

bms
20-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Is this a new 1400 and are you using the Easyflow system or something different?

Glescaboy
22-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Yes,

This is the second printer in eleven months and they use the bulk feed system. Neither printer has ever run on standard ink cartridges. Even running a sample every morning does not help. We waste so much time and ink cleaning heads, nozzle checks etc, and still cannot get it to produce consistent usable prints. I just wondered if other people have similar problems.
Cheers

accdave
22-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes,

This is the second printer in eleven months and they use the bulk feed system.
Cheers

Which bulk system is it ? Where did you buy it from ?

bms
22-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Sounds to me as though there is an air leak in the system as it should print fine every day. Our 1400 is used to print once a week, sometimes less often as we only use this for demos or occasional one offs. It prints fine most of the time with the odd head clean necessary. If however the system is allowing air in or it isn't seated properly then the ink will draw back from the printhead resulting in you having to re-prime slightly every time (as your doing with head cleaning/ nozzle checks).

As accdave asks - is this an Easyflow system or something else? You should be able to get replacement cart and tube assemblies from your supplier if it is an Easyflow system. This should overcome the issue if there is air leak somewhere.