PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make their own Plastisol Transfers?

GoldRapt
03-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi all,
My screen print inks are water based so I can't make transfers.

Is anyone on here making their own Plastisol Transfers or taken it further ans become a supplier of this type of transfer please?

I am thinking of getting some Black plastisol, transfer paper and powder and having a go at making my own transfers.
What I plan to do is make line drawing transfers that I can then colour fill with my airbrush to start and if that works make multi-colour transfers.

I have no knowledge of plastisol but what I "think" I know is that is lays on top of say a t-shirt with a hard hand and has a plastic feel to it.
Does anyone know if there is there a plastisol ink that has a soft hand to it please?

GoldRapt
05-06-2013, 03:53 PM
No One ?..............

socialgiraffe
05-06-2013, 05:34 PM
As far as I know you can get a hand base softner that you mix in with plastisol ink to make it nicer.

When I tried the transfers many moons ago while running a screen print company I am pretty sure that I needed different ink, and a lot of tins of different sorts of chemicals to make them, plus the application paper. So much so that it was simply not worth it.

I wish you well though and i hope you do it.

S>

GoldRapt
05-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks S, I do intend to give it a go as an experiment.

gavtheoldskater
11-09-2013, 12:07 PM
a very kind local industrial printer gave me a tour of his facility last week and showed me how they make platisol transfers. effectively print onto a release paper (greaseproof) and part cure.

googling later revealed some interesting articles, there is a good one by scott fressner, and apparently its non to difficult. the trick is in the part curing, then you hot peel for a regular screenprint effect or cold peel for a raised/textured effect.

plastisol you clean with turps apparently.

hav'nt had a chance to try it yet but plan to.

Paul
11-09-2013, 09:44 PM
what is this powder thingy? the one they treat each transfer?

gavtheoldskater
13-09-2013, 03:08 PM
its adhesive powder, just sprinkled on. but one of the posts i read said it was not necesary.

here's a good article i read...

http://t-biznetwork.com/articles/screen-printing-heat-transfers/

...but watch this space. just got to get an order out thats taken all week and then i should be free to play.

Paul
13-09-2013, 04:19 PM
now, just tell me what paper should i use and i am off to my garage :)

gavtheoldskater
18-01-2014, 01:46 PM
ok... here's a follow up in case its useful to anyone.

i've been playing and the results are really good. i'm printing onto sainsburys baking paper, flash drying and voila a sticker to be heat pressed on.

i'm still playing with times but it looks about 5 secs flash and 30secs to heat press.

once i can get this dialed in i think its going to really open up what i can do. i'm finding that the plastisol ink gives a super clean print, really crisp. and not having to sweat about screens drying is a revelation. i literally just left ink on a screen overnight in my office and then carried on playing this morning.

DANNYD
05-09-2015, 04:30 AM
Has anyone used these dry stencils?
https://youtu.be/yMZukUid0_g

mags1892
14-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Revolution transfers in Leicester offer this as a service brilliant quality