PDA

View Full Version : Where oh where is the pressure adjustment on this heat press????

sharyn
08-06-2013, 08:49 AM
I know that may seem like a silly question, but honestly I do not know. I have a clam shell press with an obvious adjustment knob.However just aquired this swing away and haven't a clue. I thought it might have been the round things on the right and left sides. Yet they don't seem to move .
I am not familiar with the swing away models and haven't really seen one like this. It is a chinese brand. I have operational instructions that say to adjust the pressure nut clockwise for increase and anti clock wise to reduce the pressure.??
There are 3 red knobs under the base plate Not sure what for? Would they be for the pressure adjustment?
Maybe someone here may be able to help? I will truly appreciate it! Thanks heaps.

arko
08-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Could those 3 rods with red knobs be moved clockwise/anti-clockwise? Looking at your pics , they seem to be the only possible way. It appears that above the rods is a threaded barrel which is screwed either up or down into the base to increase/reduce pressure.

socialgiraffe
08-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi Sharyn

I have not seen this model before either but I would imagine it is the red knobs. If you turn the machine off have it in the open position, rotate the red knobs and then try to close the platen there should be a difference in how easy/hard it is to close. Try turning them two full rotations and see what happens. In general if the machine is turned off and you do not force anything you will not damage the heat press so will be okay. Always remember the original position of anything you change just in case it is not the pressure adjustment and need to revert back.

I did at first think that maybe the plastic things on each side might be them but on closer inspection I do not think they are.

It looks very well made which is a good sign :-)

sharyn
08-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks socialgiraffe, and arko, I think you may be right just didn't want to play too much before asking advice. appreciate your help Thank you!

arko
08-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Let us know sharyn if that is the answer.... its the Sherlock Holmes in us coming out that needs to know the solution! hahaha. :wink:

jennywren
08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
its underneath, it lifts it up and down. If you cut mdf to the size of the bottom plate and adjust the pressure for thin items, then this save you keep adjusting, then take out the wood and set your second pressure for example mouse mats and so forth. Your mat should sit on top of mdf. I used plywood for mine, that way pressure is consistent without moving the knobs

sharyn
08-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Jennywren, Thanks for your reply. So is/was your heat press same/similar to this? The idea of the mdf seems a good one.
Arko aka Sherlock Holmes, it seems those red knobs are the ones to use. Although still need to play around with it a bit.

jennywren
08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Jennywren, Thanks for your reply. So is/was your heat press same/similar to this? The idea of the mdf seems a good one.
Arko aka Sherlock Holmes, it seems those red knobs are the ones to use. Although still need to play around with it a bit.

I have one similar press with the same knobs and the plywood works a treat I rarely adjust the pressure, and saves me hours and the guessing out of it

Ask_Alan
10-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Avoid MDF for long term in a heat press - it warps nicely ;) Plywood is the way to go.
As an aside a heat press is usefull for woodworking, if you need bend a piece of MDF to a curve, place in press at @ 150 for 30 seconds or so, remove and bend to shape. clamp and wait to cool.