PDA

View Full Version : Photos

TonyM
15-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi I have read through this section but am still not really aware of whet I need to do.
My friend a bus enthusiast has some very rare photos of buses.
He has always been in a position to take some very rare photographs due to his job.
For instance He has the ONLY photograph of a London Bus in Travel West Midlands colours.
Apparently it was originally meant to be a TWM bus, but for some reasons the plans were changed and the bus left the garage in the London Red colour. It was never seen by anyone except the people working on it. He was also the last ever person to drive a Metrobus in service and has photos of the last day as they were decommissioned in the garage.
Ok to you and I its just a bus. But pictures like this would be very very popular in bus circles.
He has asked me about producing canvases and limiting the numbers made.
He also asked me to find out about protecting his little treasures from people copying them.
I looked on google etc and see how apparently he automatically owns the copyright as they are his photos.
They weren't his buses though. So is he entitled to say he owns the copyright?
Also, if he were to see his personal photos reproduced how can he prove they are his and his alone?
He wont even email me a photo, especially of ones he know are the only ones in existence.
How can we go about protecting them?
Thanks
Tony

smo
15-06-2013, 02:24 PM
In the past he would own the copyright, and whilst they are out of the public domain he still owns the copyright regardless of not owning the bus etc.

The problem is that there is a new ACT which gives anyone the rights to photos in the public domain http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/err_act_landgrab/

TonyM
15-06-2013, 05:35 PM
That's interesting.
So if I find a pic in the public domain of say One direction. I can print it onto a mug?
Discuss please.

Tite003
09-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I think that would be different.