PDA

View Full Version : FOTL Tshirts marking from Atkins heat press

MugNewbie
16-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help?

I'm having trouble with FOTL tshirts being marked (big square press mark!) from my heat press - I'm using a new Xpres / Atkins swing press, FOTL Super Premium Tee, Xpres Xtra Stretch vinyl.

I have heatproof paper (xpres) on plate and on top of tshirt, I press tshirt for 5 secs to get moisture out, add vinyl and press for 15 secs on 155 medium/ heavy pressure as per instructions. I remove clear film and repress for 5 secs (all with heatproof paper on). Forgot to say, I'm using two pieces of heatproof paper to totally cover the tshirt.

I have tried changing the pressure to light (so I can easily close press with two fingers) and this is still happening :frown: I am worried that the vinyl will not press properly if i do this - I haven't yet had chance to wash this tshirt, but it does look like it may peel.

If I add a couple more sheets of heatproof paper is this likely to cause problems with the vinyl sticking? Have I got the wrong Tshirts???

Any ideas greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Justin
16-06-2013, 09:58 PM
These are cotton t-shirts and not polyester? Sometimes get a line with cotton but it quickly disappears. Subli shirts/polyester can leave a line.

MugNewbie
16-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi Justin, yes they're cotton.

Justin
16-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Does the line diminish after a short while? I'm sure it will go when washed but it shouldn't be that noticeable before really. Are you just putting the heat preoof paper over the vinyl or the whole shirt?

MugNewbie
16-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi Justin, it doesn't seem to fade. I have to admit I haven't washed one yet, I will do that and see what happens. I use two A4 pieces of heatproof and cover the whole tshirt. I'll have another go tomorrow and see how I get on. Maybe I'm just completely misjudging the pressure... some more practice me thinks!

Justin
16-06-2013, 11:36 PM
A4 heat proof? Where was this from? No need to cover the whole shirt, just the vinyl.

MugNewbie
16-06-2013, 11:59 PM
It's the xpres own brand silicone application sheets xp2028.

Justin
17-06-2013, 12:06 AM
OK, only ever seen it in A3 so just wondered.

logobear
17-06-2013, 12:33 AM
vinyl does not require the highest pressure that adkins can produce, medium, even light pressure for 15 seconds will fully activate the thermal glue.
We use Adkins and fotl and dont get this, even up to 190c, thou for laser transfere when you do need high pressure there are more pronounced press marks.
For vinyl, reduce pressure!
we don't use any covering either.....

mrs maggot
17-06-2013, 12:34 AM
thanks logo you have just saved me typing exactly that - another adkins & t shirt presser here

MugNewbie
17-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks so much for the advice, very much appreciated. Will have a play in the morning!