PDA

View Full Version : Faded images near mug handle

Katie
20-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone

I'm fairly new to mug sublimation and I'm having a problem with fading on the edges of images near the handles of the mugs.
Initially I thought it was because I was practicing on a poor quality sub mug but now, having used a good quality sub mug, I am still having the same problem. I'm currently using a mug press and think that the problem might be that the press isn't heating the mugs as effectively near the handles of the mugs, as this is where the opening of the press is. Has anyone else experienced this and been able to resolve the issue? Also does anyone find that convection ovens give a better result?
Any help and advice would be really appreciated!
Thanks!

Justin
20-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Hi there and welcome to the forum :-)

How close to the handle are you trying to get? Are you using 10 or 11 oz mugs?
An image of approx 20cm is ideal for a 10oz mug for example. You can't get right up to the handle.

Katie
20-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Hi, thanks for your response!

I'm using 11oz mugs and leaving a 1-2 cm gap on each side of the image. I have seen mugs where the image is printed right up to the handle and would ideally like to be able to do the same. Is this not unachievable with a mug press? Would using a convection oven enable me to do this?

Thanks again!

Justin
20-06-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm yet to (personally) see a press that can get right up to the handle. Mugs 'cooked' in an oven using wraps will get you a little nearer but still not right up to the handle. I have seen mugs printed all the way around before, Sometimes printed before the handle attached but also using some sort of wrap that goes around the handle, very messy finish though.

Personally I leave a small gap top an bottom which works well and balances with the gaps either side of the handle.

Katie
20-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll try leaving a larger gap and see if that solves the problem. Great forum, especially for newbies like me :-)

Katie
21-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Left a 2.5cm gap on each side= problem solved! Looks great, thanks again! :-)

Martinx
21-06-2013, 05:00 PM
I always think it looks much better having a gap top and bottom as well. Glad all ok