PDA

View Full Version : WOW printing t got even easier

logobear
04-07-2013, 12:20 AM
We have had the Oki 711 white printer for a while now, using wow 7.5 from tmt.
A combination of us getting our head round designing in white, and grasping the idea that we can say YES to short run jobs that we would previously say no to has led to us now doing a 1 to 5 jobs a day on it now after about 15 weeks of having it. My aim was to do an extra £5000 worth of work on it in the first year, and the first month or so were really quiet. - but by month 4 we will hit this target.
BUT - I can see now that (previously) we simply didn't think or dream in white. We were using our old solutions to solve the same problems, when our new kit was there specifically for it, media might cost a bit more, but if you can do 16 in an hour when previous you could only do 8 then the extra media cost is justified, end the results better too.
Anyhow, why the post?
We have heard rumour about a cheaper new version of the wow media........ and at FESPA saw part of it, a new i sheet, which needs new Spacecontrol s/w to handle it as it fuses at a higher temperature, and sure enough, the first couple of times we did it (yesterday) we fluffed it, but today (5 jobs) it was easy peasy! - better process, easier to manage, and a finer result.
I looked at 4 other brand applications that used the 711w at FESPA - and none of them produce the good look and feel of the TMT process, and they all seem much more prone to failure too, 3 of the 4 other demos created waste or failure at some stage, main gripe with the others was either ability to create only pastel shades OR only work in strong colour.
Key to good result seems to be this space control software, don't really know what it does, but it manages the white in a way that a printer driver cannot. Am loving it!
For the first time in a long time, my output capability exceeds my design creativity; I can dream great artworks that this new 711w and wow can easily produce, I just don't have the design skills to create them.
It's not sub, it's better coz it works on any colour !

JMugs
04-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Good to hear it's working out well......now show us some pictures you great big tease.
Janners.

tlworkwear
04-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah I got shown the Oki white printer a few months back but I just couldnt justify the outlay. Magictouch told me at the time that the new WOW paper was going to be much better and judging by what you say they were obviously right! Good luck and I second seeing some examples lol!

smo
04-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I've still not bought into the White Oki yet......but I can see it coming along soon as the prices are dropping and process is improving :)