PDA

View Full Version : Rotating image/template

AdamB
14-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I did a google search earlier for anything that I could use to help advertise my mugs/products to kind of 'stand out' from the crowd.

I don't mind spending a little time on the posts/auctions/articles as I believe that it pays off in the end.

My "vision" was to have some kind of software/template (or whatever) that I could import an image (i.e the mug face) and then export it as a gif which would rotate. The finished version woulf be a rotating mug displaying the image.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could use?

I have found 3D Box shot (link below) but I 'think' I can only export the finalised image as a video ......
http://www.3d-box-shot.com/

Any ideas??

Many thanks

Adam

Kaz
14-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi Adam

You could try this software, I've not used it myself, but it looks good

http://www.isdntek.com/tagbot/carouselspinner.htm

You'll need to upload your piccys to a free photo hosting site such as photobucket, tinypic etc first

AdamB
14-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks Kaz,

This looks good, thanks for the link.

This isn't really what I was after though as I can (if I wanted) take images of my mugs from a fixed position and then turn slightly and then make a gif animation with the images - but I was trying to avoid the hassle.

I just wondered if there was anywhere you could upload the image that you print out to go onto a mug and then this will do everything for you .................... well I was hoping there was something like that!

Thank you anyway for replying Kaz - it's appreciated.

Paul
15-05-2010, 12:30 PM
there is ;) but it cost money and I forgot what is called :(
i know this is mug made in flash. all you do is upload your photo and it appear on the mug as would be printed. mug is rotating. you can do it as gif as well. but how it was called? shoot me and i still cant remember :(

AdamB
15-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi Paul,

it really depends on 'how much money' something like this would cost to see if it would be worth it.

It's alright making things stand out but on what price (as they say).

Now ................ look into my eyes - 'click' - you're under ......................... remember - REMEMBER - where and what did you see ............................. :lol:

Paul
15-05-2010, 04:33 PM
price was about £150 and mug was looked crap. no wery good shape I mean :) but coz i dont remember where I saw it and idea was great. I am going ot order script like that for my own site :D

AdamB
27-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Just had a look at your site Paul and saw the graphic of the mug rotating ................... did you get the rotating mug script after all?

Paul
27-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi! no :( I ordered my from flash programer. this is only with one graphic and I can not change it. it costed me 45 pounds and they done it in 1 day! they work very fast or this was very easy job :idea: :twisted:

http://trzebuchowscy.com/MMH/images/cvwby47pqaxgyaar6jrx.gif (http://frames4photoshop.info)

Justin
27-05-2010, 06:41 PM
I wonder if they could make this into a program whereby you simply insert your image and they animation is generated? It would be great to be able to show an online customer how their finished item would look. Maybe something you could ask Paul?

Paul
27-05-2010, 07:34 PM
thats whot I wanted :) no one want to do it. anf they would do it it will cost earth :P

Justin
27-05-2010, 07:49 PM
There seem to be solutions for making the photo's etc. into a 3d model but not found anything that will put the photo onto the mug for you. I'm sure there must be something, maybe worth asking on Flash forums.

http://www.flashloaded.com/flashcomponents/3dbox/
Interesting stuff here.

http://www.planetphotoshop.com/graphic-on-mug.html
Good tutorial

AdamB
29-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Do you guys reckon .......... if we could 'source' someone to put together something (flash?) that would let the user add an image that would create a rotating mug for export ............... we could all 'stump' up together and share the knowledge?

kris_hm
13-01-2011, 01:50 PM
hi,
I'm freelance web/graphic designer and I can do rotating mug. Unfortunately I don't know how to automatize whole process and I have to use 3 different programs for final result (2d program, 3d graphic program and flash programming).
it looks like that (this sample was made for my friend as personal favor):
http://tilesonlinestore.co.uk/kris/elizabeth.htm

If someone would be interested I could produce single rotating mug for around £2.50 as it's bit time consuming for me. Final file is coming as flash video (swf file) which can be easy added to any website.
regards
kris

AdamB
13-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Kris,

this is interesting - would you be able to make a discount on .................... say getting 50 / 100 images onto mugs, and then producing 50 / 100 swf files to use on websites etc?

Adam

kris_hm
13-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Adam,
I didn't calculate the realistic price. But if that would be and order for 50 or more, I could try to do it for £2 each. Also supplied graphics would have to be in proportions (width x high) specified by me

AdamB
13-01-2011, 03:00 PM
lets go for a test image first the Kris,

what dimensions does the image need to be in?

If you can PM me your e-mail address I can the image to you then.

Do you accept payment(s) via PayPal?

JSR
13-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Do you guys reckon .......... if we could 'source' someone to put together something (flash?) that would let the user add an image that would create a rotating mug for export ............... we could all 'stump' up together and share the knowledge?

If it's in Flash format, I question the benefit it would bring. I know too many people who use iPhones, iPads, Android (pre 2.2) etc who just can't view Flash on their preferred browsing platform.

I've noticed it myself, too, because I browse websites on everything from my phone to my iPod Touch to my Kindle to versions of Linux and even my WinCE MID - and they all balk at Flash except for my Windows netbook (and even on my netbook, I use NoScript/AdBlock to deactivate Flash animations on websites I'm unsure of).

Littering your website with rotating Flash mugs might look nice, but it may put off a lot of potential visitors. Is Flash really the choice for the long-term?

AdamB
13-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I know what you're saying with the 'flash' problem - but, it would be easy to convert them to gifs and then put a link saying 'can't see the flash? blame Apple, but in the mean time click here to see the image as a gif' or something like that.

Like you say, it will look pretty - if it's practical though, only the cash return will see this - but what I will say is that when I create a custom mug for someone (via the internet) I create a video (2 second jon when the template is done) and send them it to see how there mug will look in the 'flesh' as to say. Everyone has commented on it and say it's a fantastic and novel way that has brought me more business down the line.

So, this will only be good if you can see the potential above the flaws.

kris_hm
13-01-2011, 03:28 PM
:) it's 21 century. all you need to do is install flash player (for free) on your netbook to get it work. everyone is using flash. as a web designer I was building entire websites on flash. See Prada website, it's 100% pure flash. All big names are using flash as it's giving more possibilities
I was using flash elements in every website I ever designed and never had any complains from my customers. ALso I was using flash on my ebay listings.
It's not a problem to convert flash into avi or any other format but that would be silly as flash has got best compression and quality.
And to be 100% sure you won't loose any customer who is using some android you can always add image next to flash as a support for them.

kris_hm
13-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Adam
I'll PM you tonight as I'm not at home right now and don't remember what size res. will be best for me

JSR
13-01-2011, 03:50 PM
:) it's 21 century. all you need to do is install flash player (for free)
I'm surprised to read this from a web designer.

You're right, it *is* the 21st century. Unlike in the last century, people aren't tied to using a Windows computer just to browse the internet anymore. Here in the 21st century, people browse the internet on all manner of devices - many of which are not supported by Adobe.

Can I install flash player on my iPod Touch? No. What about on my Android 2.1 phone? No. What about my friend's iPad? No. Or her iPhone? No. Can I install Flash player to the browser on my Kindle? No. What about all the Android 1.6 tablets that came out for Christmas? No. All of these things, and more, we browse the internet on - none of them can view Flash animations.

Using a proprietary plug-in is the thinking of the Dark Ages of the internet, it's certainly not "21st century". Apparently there were around 10 million iPads sold last year, so that's 10 million people who can't view your Flash websites, and no amount of saying "install the free Flash player" is going to change that.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't use Flash, I'm just highlighting the significance of how restrictive it is.

JSR
13-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I will say is that when I create a custom mug for someone (via the internet) I create a video (2 second jon when the template is done) and send them it to see how there mug will look in the 'flesh' as to say. Everyone has commented on it and say it's a fantastic and novel way that has brought me more business down the line.
I can certainly see the advantage of sending a customer an animation of their mug as I often do this now with still pictures. You would need a template for each kind of mug you sell, though I suspect it's not a big hassle to do templates of mugs with fluted lips, stepped bases, angle handles, ornate steins, etc.

Some time ago, I experimented with Xara 3D to do a similar kind of thing, but it always looked computer generated. Putting the customer's image on a computer generated mug doesn't take into account the colour change of sublimation. Sending a picture/video to the customer and saying "your mug will look like this" only to find that the end product doesn't look like that because the printer/inks can't accomodate all the colours, or it prints darker, or you lose some detail on the small text, etc, could be more problematic than advantageous.

You're right to be cautious to go for a test image first. I admit that I'm being a bit of a pragmatist here, but that doesn't alter the fact that I'll be very interested in the results you get.

Paul
13-01-2011, 05:03 PM
great price kris!!! ;)
looks like i over payed :(

http://frames4photoshop.info/shop/kubek.swf

kris_hm
13-01-2011, 08:02 PM
JSR try Skyfire 2.0 (or later). there's so many aps to browse flash on ipods, ipads, androids and other gadgets.
yes, I understand your really wise points, but should your website suffer because people who can't manage christmas present?? :) sometimes is worth to trust experts and I don't think about myself (as I'm not) but millions of professionals who use flash, including: yahoo, youtube, facebook - who doesn't want them on a personal gadget !

Paul, if you don't mind asking, how much did you pay for that??

JSR
13-01-2011, 08:45 PM
JSR try Skyfire 2.0 (or later). there's so many aps to browse flash on ipods, ipads, androids and other gadgets.
yes, I understand your really wise points, but should your website suffer because people who can't manage christmas present?? :) sometimes is worth to trust experts and I don't think about myself (as I'm not) but millions of professionals who use flash, including: yahoo, youtube, facebook - who doesn't want them on a personal gadget !

I would just suggest that people find out for themselves that the reason there are "apps" to play Flash is because Flash is not supported through websites.

There are apps to play YouTube and BBC iPlayer content because the devices do not support Flash through websites. This is an important distinction to make because we are discussing websites that use Flash content as a primary feature, we're not discussing apps or any other workaround to make up for the lack of Flash support on these devices.

Unless people want to create their own app to support the rotating mug Flash in addition to their website, then there's no way it's going to be seen on the 10 million iPads, or 100 million iPhones/iPod Touches out there. That's a lot of potential customers to ignore.

kris_hm
13-01-2011, 08:56 PM
sorry but you're very wrong. flash is not supported by website or hardware but by internet browser (i.e. skyfire is a browser)

bms
13-01-2011, 09:09 PM
sorry but you're very wrong. flash is not supported by website or hardware but by internet browser (i.e. skyfire is a browser)

Skyfire is a browser, but it decodes flash via its servers and sends it to your iphone/ ipad. This puts a decoding 'application' between the flash and your device which slows down the stream depending on how busy the middle server is. Various comments on the itunes app store aren't complimentary about paying for this app when it doesn't work properly.

That's how I read it anyway.

AdamB
13-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Skyfire is a browser, but it decodes flash via its servers and sends it to your iphone/ ipad. This puts a decoding 'application' between the flash and your device which slows down the stream depending on how busy the middle server is. Various comments on the itunes app store aren't complimentary about paying for this app when it doesn't work properly.

go go Martin - I didn't realise you were so 'Techy' !!

JSR
14-01-2011, 12:35 AM

Flash is a plug-in for your browser. If your browser doesn't support the plug-in there is no Flash. Safari on the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch does not support the plug-in, ergo no Flash. The browser on Android <v2.2 doesn't support the plug-in, ergo no Flash. The browser on the Kindle doesn't support the plug-in, so no Flash. How many potential customers do we want to turn away?

I have Skyfire on my Android phone but it is a less than desirable experience because it relies on going through a third-party website for conversion.

You stated something earlier that I forgot to pick up on. You said:

millions of professionals who use flash, including: youtube,

However, if you check out http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/google-overhauls-youtube-mobile-in-uk-with-html5-711889, you'll read about how Google made YouTube more accessible to iPhone and Android users by using HTML5 - not Flash! because HTML5 is natively supported on these devices without the need for Adobe to provide a plug-in.

Also, according to Skyfire's website, Skyfire works by -

transcoding the Flash content into HTML5 on Skyfire’s servers.
So, even with Skyfire, you're not viewing Flash on your mobile device - it's being converted to HTML5 which is natively supported on the mobile device. So why create Flash content in the first place if it's going to have to be converted? Why not stick with HTML5 from the outset?

Flash will continue to be one of the best implementations of internet gaming for some time to come, but there seems to be no convincing reason to rely on Flash within a website in the 21st Century.

JSR
14-01-2011, 12:39 AM

You know more about this than I do, Martin! :wink:

I didn't know how Skyfire worked until I looked it up just a moment ago. Apparently Skyfire's website converts the Flash video into HTML5, which is natively supported on the device anyway. This is why you can't view all Flash content through Skyfire, only the simple stuff that's easy to convert.

I also learned that YouTube doesn't use Flash on mobile devices either, it uses HTML5.

I'm going to have to read up on whatever this "HTML5" thing is, I think... :smile:

kris_hm
14-01-2011, 01:14 AM
that's all we know or can find online
html5 is a future. but for now flash is most popular advert platform. millions $ spend on flash adverts every year. you've lost a point trying to prove something unnecessary.
1st:
my product on website with photo supported by flash which can be bit annoying for "gadgets" users (which are small % of buyers anyway) but catching eye and giving better experience of products for potential buyers

against

2:
my product on website with photo

why to avoid something simple and accessible for everyone. I had problems with one website on my laptop so I went to second room to browse it on PC. c'mon everybody has an options. I don't believe in loosing customers by adding flash to website as everyone else does :) think positive, how many customers you can convince to your product.
html5 - yes, but no freelance (cheap) programmers yet

JSR
14-01-2011, 01:22 AM
why to avoid something simple and accessible for everyone.
Because it's not accessible to everyone, as I've demonstrated more than once. You're missing the point of the discussion.

If people simply want to focus on users with laptops and desktops with full web-browsers that are supported by Adobe, and not concern themselves with the millions of potential customers who use other internet devices, then that's their choice and I wouldn't dream of trying to change their minds.

My only intent is to highlight that there are many people who use devices that cannot display Flash and that this situation is unlikely to improve. That's all.

kris_hm
14-01-2011, 09:44 AM
not accessible for device doesn't mean not accessible for user
end of last year adobe presented to the public flash to html5 converter. what a fantastic tool ! without any programming skill you can convert flash files (source files: fla) to html5 code. They didn't announced released date yet but that will be a milestone

JSR
14-01-2011, 10:25 AM
end of last year adobe presented to the public flash to html5 converter. what a fantastic tool !

If Flash is the future, why do Adobe feel the need for a converter? Their development of this converter indicates that even the creators of Flash know that HTML5 is the future.

A converter for existing Flash files is great, but why would anyone spend time developing in the old format today knowing that it'll need to be converted into HTML5 later?

Surely it would make more sense to just create in HTML5 in the first place and avoid the need to convert?

kris_hm
14-01-2011, 11:52 AM
there's a lot of things you can do on flash but still not html5- thats the main reason.
another is programming, as flash is more user friendly and you can do nice and interesting things without knowing a single line of the code. just playing about with graphic objects. that's why in many cases it will be easier to make flash and convert to html then write many lines of complicated code