PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette Cameo - .dxf import

Justin
15-07-2013, 11:51 PM
My Cameo saved me again when i got (very badly) let down with a new cutter (that's another story!) What a great little machine, fantastic/simple software :-)

Question is this, when I export in .dxf from CorelDraw and open in Silhouette software the image appears slightly larger and I have to scale it down. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Also, I have to use the sticky carrier sheet for Xpres vinyl which surprises me, is this normal? If I don't use it the vinyl shifts.

Dave271069
16-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Silouette Cameo is a god send!
why cant they just have a patch or something which enables you to use other cutters etc, or simply make a nice 54" silhouette cutter :biggrin:

tlworkwear
16-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Any garment vinyl shouldnt need a carrier sheet Justin, Ive used xpres before without any issues. Stupid question but have you locked the rollers down? There is a little lever on the right hand side of the machine.

Justin
16-07-2013, 11:48 AM
That's what I thought, no need for the additional sheet. Definately got the levers locked down and it starts off ok but then starts to slip mid-cut :-(Spoken to MDS when I first bought it who weren't all that interested and tbh I've only just starting using again recently so haven't had a good chance to test the issue until now.

tlworkwear
16-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Thats very strange.. The only time I have ever had an issue like that is when I have cut the vinyl myself to size and cut it too narrow. What size do you cut the vinyl down to? I cut 330mm wide just to be sure.

spongerobinson
16-07-2013, 01:28 PM
if your buying pre-cut vinyl sheets, i often find that the ones I buy aren't cut properly and the width varies a bit. have had a couple of slips before, but usually solve it by moving the rollers in a notch on the cameo to be sure.

with regards to the DXF files, the exact same thing happens to me. I export .dxf files from Illustrator, open in Cameo, and they are always a different size. for the work I do its not a huge problem, as my designs will generally be cut at different sizes anyway depending on what I'm doing. can see why it might cos some issues tho if you need your measurements to be very exact!

tlworkwear
16-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Normally the pre-cut sheets will be wider than the maximum cutting width of the cameo, at least for the places I have bought them from they have(MDP mainly). I always find buying the rolls better as you can control the width you want but when I first started out it was brilliant to be able to order a sheet of each colour for samples / testing etc.